Been using Openhab now for almost four years .  Here is a LINK of the setup I posted on another page. 

8 hours ago, gbyleveldt said:

I’m curious as to why you chose OpenHab as opposed to Home Assistant? I don’t know OpenHab at all so genuine question

Personally I tested both and the reason why I went OH is that they have a Proxy server that works out of the box. You install the plugin register the on the site and add your UUI and Secured code. No need to port forward and it is for free. But apart from that I could not see much difference for what I an using. Also after three years you tend to know the interface so it is "easier" to setup 

Aaah I see. HA has both cloud access (albeit $5 a month to support the developers, which I actually don’t mind) and both Android and iOS apps that’s identical to the browser interface.

I was just curious if there was a compelling reason to consider OpenHab before I get too deep into HA (only been using it for a few months)

15 hours ago, gbyleveldt said:

Aaah I see. HA has both cloud access (albeit $5 a month to support the developers, which I actually don’t mind) and both Android and iOS apps that’s identical to the browser interface.

I was just curious if there was a compelling reason to consider OpenHab before I get too deep into HA (only been using it for a few months)

I'm switching to Home Assistant. 
Both are very good.

I originally chose OpenHAB only because its Java based, and I'm a java developer.
But Home Assistant is much more active, and I like the interface more. SO I guess I will just have to "Phyton" now.
I'm looking into using QuickSwitch, as Z-wave is so pricey in SA and Zigbee and the others I have to fiddle to much.
There's a binding (add-on) for QS and HA. Just ordered a Pi4 4GB, and a Pi4 SSD HAT for the HA install (At last Pi4 can now boot from SSD)

42 minutes ago, Guss Davey said:

I'm switching to Home Assistant. 
Both are very good.

I originally chose OpenHAB only because its Java based, and I'm a java developer.
But Home Assistant is much more active, and I like the interface more. SO I guess I will just have to "Phyton" now.
I'm looking into using QuickSwitch, as Z-wave is so pricey in SA and Zigbee and the others I have to fiddle to much.
There's a binding (add-on) for QS and HA. Just ordered a Pi4 4GB, and a Pi4 SSD HAT for the HA install (At last Pi4 can now boot from SSD)

Just a note on QwikSwitch, I initially used the QwikSwitch units for my Geyser controls but abandoned the whole setup due to the poor coverage of the RF. 

I would rather advise going the Sonoff/ Tasmota route which runs perfectly on Wifi.  One benefits more by setting a proper Wifi mesh setup throughout your home than having 300 RF repeaters/ bridges.

7 hours ago, Bloubul7 said:

Just a note on QwikSwitch, I initially used the QwikSwitch units for my Geyser controls but abandoned the whole setup due to the poor coverage of the RF. 

I would rather advise going the Sonoff/ Tasmota route which runs perfectly on Wifi.  One benefits more by setting a proper Wifi mesh setup throughout your home than having 300 RF repeaters/ bridges.

100% in agreement with you there. I’m running 4 APs for the 45 odd WiFi devices in the house. It just, works. I was considering RF for some door contacts (because WiFi and batteries don’t mix well), but gave up on that idea due to possible reliability concerns.

15 hours ago, Bloubul7 said:

Can you flash all Sonoff devices with Tasmota, or do I have to be careful about which Sonoff devices I buy?

As far as I know yes , but they also have an extensive Wiki page so if you are not sure of the device have a look to confirm. The basic is very well supported but you could also have a look at the Wemos d1 mini. You can have up to 8 io ports in one device.  

2 hours ago, Guss Davey said:

Can you flash all Sonoff devices with Tasmota, or do I have to be careful about which Sonoff devices I buy?

It all depends on what you want to achieve. 

• Light switches - No need to flash with Tasmota.  Can integrate directly with HA.  For those places where you can't get a neutral to light switch you can have a look at the Eachen switches as well, they use the same Ewelink platform
  • Normal On/ Off control of devices - No need to flash. Integrates directly with HA
  • Complicated load control - For example controlling Geysers.  Suggest to flash with Tasmota.

The advantage of the Tasmota is the ability to set up "Rules" on the device itself which are stored in the ROM.  This provides additional backup should your HA fail for some odd reason or the unit looses it's WiFi connection.  For example, I have the following rules running on the TH16's controlling my geysers

• Switch off when the temperature exceeds 65C.  Home assistant is set up to heat the Geysers to 60C, if HA fails to switch off the unit at 60 then I know the unit will switch off itself at 65
  • Keep the unit switched off when the temperature drops below 5C.  This is just incase the unit looses connection to the temperature sensor
  • Switch off when the MQTT connection to HA fails.  This prevents the Geyser from heating if the Wifi connection drops or my HA fails.

Some examples of items which I have currently automated/ controlling through HA

• 27 light switches.  Majority of them runs on Sonoff switches, the down stairs switches runs on Eachen as it is a hassle to get a neutral through the concrete slab.
  • 2x Geysers.  Using Sonoff TH16 with DS18B20 temperature sensors, tasmota firmware and 40a relays
  • 1x Pool Pump. Using Sonoff TH16.  Automated to run only when excess Solar generation is available.
  • 1x Fountain pump.  Using Sonoff Basic, automated to run on a timer
  • SunSynk Inverter.  Inverter values are communicated to HA via MQTT
  • Wifi Mesh System.  Asus based Wifi Mesh, provides notifications when certain devices join/ drop off the network.
  • 2x Home Theatre receivers.  The one receiver is automated to automatically turn on the projector, turn off the downlights and turn on the LED light strips when switched on.  Reverse when the receiver is turned off 
  • 1x Aircon.  Using Sensibo as gateway. Automated to operated at different modes based on the target temperature.  Will only turn on based on room temperature, time schedule and if we are at home
  • Robotic Vacuum Cleaner. 
  • Garden Sprinkler System.  Integrated with my Bhyve system.  Watering schedules based on weather forecast.
  • Garage Doors. Using Sonoff SV flashed with Tasmota.  Can check if the doors are open or closed.  Can also open/ close via the app

All of the above are nicely integrated with the mobile App.  I'm not using the HA cloud service, using port forwarding with integrated firewall in my router setup.

Some other nice features which you can build into the automations:

• Limit/ reduce loads based on Load shedding status
  • Check who is at home (based on wifi connections)
  • Shopping List.  Useful to add notes of items to buy, I'm thinking of mounting an old tablet in the kitchen to easily add items as the need arise.
Edited by Bloubul7
12 minutes ago, gbyleveldt said:

Nice! I love reading up on others’ setups

Hahaha, likewise.  It is a nice way to get new ideas to fall further down the rabbit hole.

I'm at the point now where I ran out of ideas.  The next one might be a proper coffee machine to make a strong cup of coffee when I wake up.

8 hours ago, Bloubul7 said:

Hahaha, likewise.  It is a nice way to get new ideas to fall further down the rabbit hole.

I'm at the point now where I ran out of ideas.  The next one might be a proper coffee machine to make a strong cup of coffee when I wake up.

You kid. I've actually been thinking of a 'smart' kettle. One that I can switch on while still in bed. Once it's done, then I can make coffee. None of this yawning and bleary eyes waiting by the kettle to finish boiling. Maybe I'll put a CBI Astute on the current one. Then I can be notified when it's switched off :)

On 2020/10/28 at 8:36 AM, Bloubul7 said:

That one I have covered. 1kg of beans per week for 2 people. Jira Z6 coffee machine............ BUT NOT MUCH HOME AUTOMATION.....
... Don't go... I have more questions for Bloubul7. I also want to end up where I do not know what to automate further....

"Ek het gewoontlik nie 'n probleem met die bulle nie, maar hul ondersteuners is n ander saak." - In your case, I will keep my mouth shut 🙂

Here then a new set of questions:

1. EACHEN Wifi Smart Light Switches
    Can they also be flushed?
    Do they work out of the box with HA, or only when flushed?
  2. What about where you have only one switch wired to one outside light, and you want 3 lights on that switch. Do you then keep the existing switch, leave it in the on position and then do switching somewhere along the wire....
    or would you get something like QwikSwitch, where the switch panel is a transmitter, and then have switches close to the light.
    I guess the latter is better, for then you will at least have a physical switch (3 gang) for "normal" switching of the lights.
  3. Wifi Mesh - Its a large expense. If you have to buy again TODAY, what will you choose?
  4. How do you get the Sunsynk to MQTT to HA (I just installed my solar, and its a 8kw Sunsynk)?

38 minutes ago, Guss Davey said:

That one I have covered. 1kg of beans per week for 2 people. Jira Z6 coffee machine............ BUT NOT MUCH HOME AUTOMATION.....

With a little bit of tinkering the Jura Z6 can actually be added to Home Assistant. 🤣

39 minutes ago, Guss Davey said:

"Ek het gewoontlik nie 'n probleem met die bulle nie, maar hul ondersteuners is n ander saak." - In your case, I will keep my mouth shut 🙂

Hahaha, ek sal eerder niks se nie.  Maar is darem nie een van "daai" bulle nie.

39 minutes ago, Guss Davey said:

EACHEN Wifi Smart Light Switches
Can they also be flushed?
Do they work out of the box with HA, or only when flushed?

Both Sonoff & Eachen switches work out of the box with Home Assistant.  It does require a seperate integration to be installed via HACS, see link for tutorial.  They can also be flashed if you want to.

42 minutes ago, Guss Davey said:

What about where you have only one switch wired to one outside light, and you want 3 lights on that switch. Do you then keep the existing switch, leave it in the on position and then do switching somewhere along the wire....
or would you get something like QwikSwitch, where the switch panel is a transmitter, and then have switches close to the light.
I guess the latter is better, for then you will at least have a physical switch (3 gang) for "normal" switching of the lights.

Well you can install a light switch without any wiring to a physical light and the use it as part of an automation to switch on/ off other modules (Sonoff Basic or Sonoff TH16)

In various parts of my home I have replaced 1 gang switches with 3 gang switches.  The 2 additional gangs are used to switch other light switches or modules.  A simple example is that in the main bedroom I have a switch that triggers an automation to turn off all the lights in the house.  One could easily do the same to trigger all outside lights.

48 minutes ago, Guss Davey said:

Wifi Mesh - Its a large expense. If you have to buy again TODAY, what will you choose?

Yes a Mesh can become expensive.  But for me the mesh system serves much more than just the home automation bits.  Having a 200mb fibre connection, your wifi can easily become the bottleneck in a larger house (especially when streaming 4k Dolby Atmos movies).  For me moving into a mesh network was fairly easy and didn't cost much extra due Asus supporting mesh systems on all new routers.  Therefore it was as simple as just adding another router.

Due to the above, I wouldn't change the way I have implemented my system.

53 minutes ago, Guss Davey said:
  1. How do you get the Sunsynk to MQTT to HA (I just installed my solar, and its a 8kw Sunsynk)?

I have set up a Raspberry Pi with a RS485 expansion HAT.  The Pi communicates to the Inverter over the RS485 via Modbus and then sends it via MQTT to my Home Assistant server.

7 minutes ago, Bloubul7 said:

I have set up a Raspberry Pi with a RS485 expansion HAT.  The Pi communicates to the Inverter over the RS485 via Modbus and then sends it via MQTT to my Home Assistant server.

Have lots to learn... will keep that for last.

8 minutes ago, Bloubul7 said:

Well you can install a light switch without any wiring to a physical light and the use it as part of an automation to switch on/ off other modules

I get it.... the not wired switch "switch" is detected by HA, and then you do whatever you want with it....

Tx

• 3 weeks later...

I only spot this thread now.  I've started playing with arduino's about a year ago and have steadily expanded my home automation system.  I'm also using OH, mostly because it's the first one I tried and I'm quite familiar with it by now (read: to lazy to learn HA).  Over time I have replaced a lot of RF transceivers with Wemos D1 mini and MQTT - much more reliable.

The first thing I built was a weather station which included a small 5V panel which measures irridiance.  I'm still trying to figure how to translate that into maximum potential PV power from our solar arrays but need time to get my head around the different angles (sun vs weather station panel to sun vs PV solar panels - a LOT of trig).  Recently someone on this forum figured out how to pull data from the Goodwe inverter so now I can really get into automation.

Solcast is what you want if you want to ‘predict’ potential PV for the day. You seed their algorithm every 5 minutes with your PV production over that period and based on that, plus your location and panel angle/direction, it starts generating forecast after a week or two. Another user put me onto it and it seems reasonably accurate so far. I’m using Home Assistant though, not sure if this is available for OpenHab