Axpert MKSii inverter parallel setting cannot change

Reinhard

Good day,

I installed a new Axpert MKS ii inverter about a month ago and it showed a code "HS", so I saw somewhere on the forum that it is showing this code because setting 28 should be changed to Single mode. I then accessed setting 28 and it did not give me the SNG option, only PAL. Is there maybe another setting that I have to change in order to access single mode.

What prompted me to ask this question (as the HS fault code has not affected the inverters operation in any way), is because the power went off during the night (which is very irregular) and this morning, the inverter was displaying alternating codes: HS and 15 (which could also be "IS"). According to the manual there are no error codes like that. We then switched off the battery (Pylontech 3.5kW) restarted the inverter. Switched on the battery and everything was fine, even though error code 4 was flashing, which is normal for most of the day.

Why can I not change setting 28? and What is this code 15 (or IS)?  

On 2020/10/26 at 4:14 PM, Reinhard said:

What prompted me to ask this question (as the HS fault code has not affected the inverters operation in any way), is because the power went off during the night (which is very irregular) and this morning, the inverter was displaying alternating codes: HS and 15 (which could also be "IS"). According to the manual there are no error codes like that.

There is no error code 15, but there is a warning code 15. Only warnings alternate with HS/SL. Warning 15 means "PV energy is low".

[ Edit: I screwed up and got this totally wrong. In fact, only faults alternate with HS/SL; if a warning is displayed, you never see HS/SL (or 3P1/3P2/3P3). So this is indeed fault code 15, though I can't find it in any of the common firmwares. ]

even though error code 4 was flashing, which is normal for most of the day.

That would have been warning code 04, battery low.

Why can I not change setting 28?

See FAQ 3.

Edited by Coulomb
Screwed up; see explanation in [ brackets ]

• 8 months later...
On 2020/10/27 at 7:38 AM, Coulomb said:

Warning 15 means "PV energy is low".

How to fix Warning 15? 

I am sure PV energy is ok, about 300Volts, inverter display it correctly.  At first i thought, that PV current monitoring circuit is failure, because inverter on PV input showing  load 5-8 wats.  So, to current sensor output from external supply i put 1 Volt, inverter shows PV input load 12A, but Warning 15  is still present.  Anyboy have solution, ideas what to do next?            

Edited by alvideo

16 hours ago, alvideo said:

Warning 15 means "PV energy is low".

I note that I totally screwed up in the post when I said that. Well, warning 15 does indeed mean that PV energy is low, according to my notes at least, but the original poster said that he had HS and 15 alternating. I said that meant he was actually seeing warning 15, but in fact it must have been fault code 15. Sigh.

How to fix Warning 15? 

Firstly, are you sure that you have warning 15, with the symbol, not the ERROR symbol near the "15"?

I am sure PV energy is ok, about 300Volts, inverter display it correctly.

Energy is not voltage (perhaps there is a translation problem here), I think I meant that while there is enough PV voltage to assert "PV is OK", when any attempt is made to draw significant power, the voltage collapses. OK, I should be saying "potential power" or maybe "potential current", not "energy". Bad former self! 🤪

At first I thought, that PV current monitoring circuit is failure, because inverter on PV input showing  load 5-8 wats.  So, to current sensor output from external supply i put 1 Volt, inverter shows PV input load 12A, but Warning 15  is still present. 

I think we're having translation issues again. Are you saying that you applied only 1 volt and 12 amps flowed as a result? Or are you saying that you applied a current limit of 1 amp and the inverter read this incorrectly as 12 A?

Certainly, the inverter reporting 5-8 watts of PV input power (not load), that sounds like it would trigger warning 15. But if the inverter is reporting too low of a current, then I can't see why it was reporting 12 A with your test.

Could you tell us the exact model of your inverter, please? There are two very different solar charge controllers (basically 145 V max and 450/500 V max), and things like the PV current are reported by different computers in the two cases.

Are you sure that you have warning 15, with the symbol, not the ERROR.

I am sure,  i have warning 15 with ⚠ symbol, it‘s  not error.

350286069_03Error.thumb.jpg.347fff79df68d260f8012a07b497909f.jpg

Are you saying that you applied only 1 volt and 12 amps flowed as a result?

Half effect current sensor L18P040D15 sense PV current. By datasheet sensor output range is 0.04 to 4V. I aplied 1 volt to current sensor output to simulate a higher PV input current, and i see, that inverter reporting current correctly, it depends from current sensor output range.  For example, aplied 1 volt on current sensor output reporting on inverter 6,7A PV current (see below).

So, on inverter PV input is real 280 volts, on PV current sensor i simulated  6,7A. Inverter see  276V and 3 ,6kW load (276Vx6,7A=1,8kW), but Warning 15  is still present.

Here video with no any load, PV input 276V, Battery 50V   

Here video with PV input 276V, Battery 50V and simulated PV load 6.7A

Could you tell us the exact model of your inverter, please?

My inverter is with PV charge controller 120-450V and 48V Battery.

884052354_01InverterData.thumb.jpg.e9f3634177b483026d57828d1c3780de.jpg

1467369347_02InverterBoard.thumb.jpg.89f7713e9de254ca464c63b0a387c33a.jpg

Edited by alvideo

If you power up the inverter on the bench, with nothing connected except PV, then it's up to PV to do the bus soft start. If your test "PV" supply is weak, then PV alone can't charge the bus capacitors up to the reference voltage, and warning 15 will result. I assume that it will remember this, and will charge the bus if/when a battery or perhaps AC-in is connected.

Simulating higher PV charge current will not actually charge the bus, so the warning would remain until the bus is charged. You can check the bus voltage with the QPIGS command. field 9 just before battery voltage. It will be looking for a bus voltage in the high 300s I would think.

As a point of interest, what is your main (U1) firmware version? I'm reading 71.86 to follow the warning 15 logic.

with nothing connected except PV

With external power supply (up to 500V and 2A) i connecting to PV and 50V battery, so i' m sure, it's is enough power to charge bus capacitors up to 300V.  BUS line i will check in the evening, i not tested yet, i didn’t think it can be issue, because if bus failing, inverter report 09 error (bus soft failed).  Thank You for good idea.

what is your main (U1) firmware version

My firmware is U1 20.10. I didn't try to do anything with firmware - update ant etc. This inverter never worked as should, i bought it defected, so at this time i trying to find problem and fix it. 

Firmware.jpg.1e1be6bc94f6edb264e713f5d5ccc3e5.jpg 

On 2021/07/21 at 8:43 PM, alvideo said:

With external power supply (up to 500V and 2A) i connecting to PV and 50V battery, so i' m sure, it's is enough power to charge bus capacitors up to 300V.

In the firmware I have here (71.86 [ edit: the VM II one, not the King one with the same number ] ), the only way to get warning 15 is if you're in Only PV Mode (one of the batteryless modes), or when soft starting the bus.

But 71.xx seems a long way from 20.xx; the only 20.xx firmwares I have are for VM IIIs or VMIIs, and neither seems to fit your model. Also the lowest numbered one I have is 20.44, which is considerably higher than 20.10. So it looks like your firmware isn't one that I've seen, so it may operate differently.

Edited by Coulomb
Clarify which 71.86 I'm reading

bus voltage in the high 300s I would think.

BUS voltage in mine inverter is incorrect - only 130V instead of 300V.

What software i can use to read data visa USB from inverter (use BUSQPIGS command and etc.)? 

I think only WatchPower and ICC can read from the USB port, though I've never tried. But the USB port is no faster than the serial port.

Via the serial port, I find AccessPort to be useful for commands you want to send repeatedly. But of course, it doesn't decode the data for you, so you have to know where to look for the data you're interested in. The communications manual helps with that.