4 hours ago, Achmat said:

@Vassen I had a WhatsApp video call with him and can't seem to figure out what the issue is. Could just be a software update that will fix it.

Basically when timer settings is activated its not pulling anything from solar. He has to switch the grid off to get it to use Solar and batteries. 

Not sure where in joburg you are and if you can also try to assist. 

Okay. Let me see. The old software is a bit different. 

will send you a pm with my number, please send me screenshots of all the menus. Including the grid. 

im out for a bit, so will check it later  

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Guys. My new installation. 24 x 390w JA Mono solar panels with an 8kw Sunsynk inverter and 2 x 5kwh Bull Lithium batteries.  More pics to follow soon...

For those of you who doubt the Sunsynk 8.8kw inverter, here are some figures of what I produced today.  This outclasses Victron by far!  

Thank you. Doing the last bit of the installation today. 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, excitedphoton said:

Hi there,

I figured out if you set your max sell power to whatever your solar array is then you get the result you are looking for.

I've spent hours myself trying to figure this out and that did it.

Let me know if this works for you.

This is for my Deye inverter so you'll have to find the Sunsynk equivalent.

deye.jpg

deye2.jpg

deye3.jpg

Thanks for that. It works but it still exports the excess to the grid. So I limited it to 4000w so that goes to the geysers and nothing to the grid. I’m waiting for my wifi dongle to arrive to do the software update. 

Even though it’s not working as planned. I hope with the software update, it will. I managed to use 30kwh today without exporting to the Grid. 

It’s great to be off the grid. No need for Eskom or Jhb water. I have a 90m borehole with a 0.75kw Franklin pump. Pumped into 2 x 5000l Jojo tanks via a sediment filter. An Ebara CDA200 single phase booster pump with a Cascade Variable Speed Drive supplies water to the entire home at 4 bar pressure. All powered from the Sunsynk 

76837631-E7BD-46A0-BA32-EB0FFDFB0911.jpeg

EFE53BDE-0F0F-479F-BA75-7641CEF9F5E8.jpeg

1B526085-5DB7-412F-A635-C1E78AA20827.jpeg

1 hour ago, Leshen said:

Even though it’s not working as planned. I hope with the software update, it will. I managed to use 30kwh today without exporting to the Grid. 

It’s great to be off the grid. No need for Eskom or Jhb water. I have a 90m borehole with a 0.75kw Franklin pump. Pumped into 2 x 5000l Jojo tanks via a sediment filter. An Ebara CDA200 single phase booster pump with a Cascade Variable Speed Drive supplies water to the entire home at 4 bar pressure. All powered from the Sunsynk 

76837631-E7BD-46A0-BA32-EB0FFDFB0911.jpeg

EFE53BDE-0F0F-479F-BA75-7641CEF9F5E8.jpeg

1B526085-5DB7-412F-A635-C1E78AA20827.jpeg

Not bad. 

I also have a well point but only needed to dig 4m and have crystal clear water. Submersible pump in the well with a float switch in one 2500l water tank. Jet pump from the water tank feeding the whole house. No filters needed. Only a uv light in the water tank. I use about 30kl of water per month from the well. Everything powered by the sunsynk. 

Ended with my highest day today at 57.3kWh for the day and 1.37MWh for the month. 

Off grid water and electricity is the best decision I've made. 

Screenshot_20201031-185229_SOLARMAN Business.jpg

Screenshot_20201031-190731_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201031-190815_Chrome.jpg

35 minutes ago, Achmat said:

Not bad. 

I also have a well point but only needed to dig 4m and have crystal clear water. Submersible pump in the well with a float switch in one 2500l water tank. Jet pump from the water tank feeding the whole house. No filters needed. Only a uv light in the water tank. I use about 30kl of water per month from the well. Everything powered by the sunsynk. 

Ended with my highest day today at 57.3kWh for the day and 1.37MWh for the month. 

Off grid water and electricity is the best decision I've made. 

Screenshot_20201031-185229_SOLARMAN Business.jpg

Screenshot_20201031-190731_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201031-190815_Chrome.jpg

That’s great. Always great not to rely on Eskom and Jhb water. 

5 minutes ago, Vassen said:

You can never really be sure. My 1 neighbor has had a bore hole for years. The guy next to him tried to dig a bore hole. 20k later and getting to about 70m deep, they couldn't find any water. 

That was a quick 20k wasted. 

True it's a waste, but 20k for 70m is not too bad, I actually thought that it would have been a lot more. Some people pay that as a monthly instalment on a set of wheels, and finding water is worth so much more.

Just now, YellowTapemeasure said:

True it's a waste, but 20k for 70m is not too bad, I actually thought that it would have been a lot more. Some people pay that as a monthly instalment on a set of wheels, and finding water is worth so much more.

It actually depends on the equipment they use. The drills that are attached to the big trucks can go deeper but the guy had to use a smaller version of it attached to a small trailer because he didnt have any place to bring the big truck in. 

I would love to try as well, but my complex only allows 4T trucks in, so there’s no hope for me. 

3 minutes ago, Vassen said:

It actually depends on the equipment they use. The drills that are attached to the big trucks can go deeper but the guy had to use a smaller version of it attached to a small trailer because he didnt have any place to bring the big truck in. 

I would love to try as well, but my complex only allows 4T trucks in, so there’s no hope for me. 

Interesting, thanks. I would also have to use a trailer.

I finally figured out how to configure the settings after chatting to Vassen. Grid sell must be unticked however the figure on the right of grid sell should be your total wattage of your panel production. 

I sent Shabir from Sunsynk 2 messages, who is apparently the tech support for Sunsynk. Not a single reply. So thanks everyone for all the time and help. Appreciate it. 

6B7C2072-1EEC-4788-9C7D-EC25446CC88F.jpeg

9D87A7CD-AB54-4110-840B-C8AF8252D648.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Leshen said:

I finally figured out how to configure the settings after chatting to Vassen. Grid sell must be unticked however the figure on the right of grid sell should be your total wattage of your panel production. 

I sent Shabir from Sunsynk 2 messages, who is apparently the tech support for Sunsynk. Not a single reply. So thanks everyone for all the time and help. Appreciate it. 

6B7C2072-1EEC-4788-9C7D-EC25446CC88F.jpeg

9D87A7CD-AB54-4110-840B-C8AF8252D648.jpeg

Glad you came right. 

Enjoy the inverter and being independent of Eskom. 

Hi guys. 
I just installed batteries this weekend and lo and behold city power is down this afternoon. 
The Solar power charged the batteries and fed the house with power, once the batteries were charged it still fed the house around 500w (total) of power. Nothing from the batteries. 
I then wanted to test how it would handle a load like running a kettle which is on my essential circuit, and most of the power came from the batteries, like 90%. 
Once the kettle switched off, the solar did not turn on again and my house load was being fed only from the batteries. 
How do I get it to use the solar first and then the batteries?

6 hours ago, naeemZA said:

Hi guys. 
I just installed batteries this weekend and lo and behold city power is down this afternoon. 
The Solar power charged the batteries and fed the house with power, once the batteries were charged it still fed the house around 500w (total) of power. Nothing from the batteries. 
I then wanted to test how it would handle a load like running a kettle which is on my essential circuit, and most of the power came from the batteries, like 90%. 
Once the kettle switched off, the solar did not turn on again and my house load was being fed only from the batteries. 
How do I get it to use the solar first and then the batteries?

On the system mode screen there is a setting called prioritize load. Tick this. It will then use solar for powering the load before it charged the battery.  

On 2020/10/30 at 2:26 PM, Leshen said:

Installation completed today. Thanks to Steve and the team from the Powerforum store for all the help. 

Phillip Botha from XXX Electrical did my installation. Job well done. If anyone needs his contact details, please contact me. 

F27CFDEA-8BA8-4870-A583-8783F38F1120.jpeg

790DABC1-9F18-44F7-99F5-EAFC984799DD.jpeg

946A4949-832D-4FED-9E53-33F9EA6CBC8B.jpeg

17EA73BD-2567-43F0-A1AF-51801515E473.jpeg

B37C1F62-4AA4-4425-BA55-8B162FCCBFB8.jpeg

E299935F-0B72-4096-ADB7-AB2746D1FF75.jpeg

11EA8C8D-299E-4544-8707-A949B15B2B53.jpeg

98BF40B0-7944-4E37-A437-67B27750C432.jpeg

On 2020/10/28 at 11:41 AM, Leshen said:

Hi Guys. My new installation. 24 x 390w JA Mono solar panels with an 8kw Sunsynk inverter and 2 x 5kwh Bull Lithium batteries.  More pics to follow soon...

Why have the batteries on the floor like that?

You can easily mount that panel onto a wall somewhere :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - does this inverter have the ability to supply power, that is not being used by the critical loads, to non - critical loads. I ask because on a victron there are 2 AC connections for the load. The first connection supplies critical circuits and the second the non critical. In the event of a grid outage only critical loads receive power.

The Sunsynk only seems to have one AC connection for loads. Clearly this will be connected to the critical loads.

Can excess power be supplied to non critical loads?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Warren Porteous said:

Hi - does this inverter have the ability to supply power, that is not being used by the critical loads, to non - critical loads. I ask because on a victron there are 2 AC connections for the load. The first connection supplies critical circuits and the second the non critical. In the event of a grid outage only critical loads receive power.

The Sunsynk only seems to have one AC connection for loads. Clearly this will be connected to the critical loads.

Can excess power be supplied to non critical loads?

Thanks

Yes it can supply power to both the essential and non essential loads.

1 minute ago, Warren Porteous said:

thanks, but please forgive me I'm a beginner and missing something.. how does that work, if there is only one AC connection for loads?

The Sunsynk inverter can supply power to all three AC ports on the inverter:

1) It can supply excess power (power not required for battery charging and load connection) to the grid port for powering non-essential items on the grid side of the inverter, and/or selling unused power back to the utility.

2) It powers the load port from solar/battery/grid as required

3) The gen port can be configured as 'SmartLoad', in which case the inverter sends power to this port according to configured rules.

13 minutes ago, JustinSchoeman said:

The Sunsynk inverter can supply power to all three AC ports on the inverter:

1) It can supply excess power (power not required for battery charging and load connection) to the grid port for powering non-essential items on the grid side of the inverter, and/or selling unused power back to the utility.

2) It powers the load port from solar/battery/grid as required

3) The gen port can be configured as 'SmartLoad', in which case the inverter sends power to this port according to configured rules.

Justin, you sound like you know the Sunsynk.

So the Gen (Generator) port...

I have added a small (3Kw) genny to my Deye/Sunsynk (for the off chance that there's a week of inclement weather and I want to help the PV to load the batteries a bit).

How do you configure the Gen port setting to supplement the PV? Can this be done?