9 minutes ago, PaulinNorthcliff said:

How do you configure the Gen port setting to supplement the PV? Can this be done?

Just uncheck 'microinverter' and 'smartload' (if any is checked), and check 'gen charge'.  If it is an auto start generator, you can also check 'gen signal', and it will signal the generator to start under the set conditions. (NOTE: gen signal and island mode signal use the same ATS port, so you can't use auto-start generators if you are using the ATS port for an earth-neutral bonding relay.)

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Guys. My new installation. 24 x 390w JA Mono solar panels with an 8kw Sunsynk inverter and 2 x 5kwh Bull Lithium batteries.  More pics to follow soon...

For those of you who doubt the Sunsynk 8.8kw inverter, here are some figures of what I produced today.  This outclasses Victron by far!  

Thank you. Doing the last bit of the installation today. 

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, JustinSchoeman said:

Just uncheck 'microinverter' and 'smartload' (if any is checked), and check 'gen charge'.  If it is an auto start generator, you can also check 'gen signal', and it will signal the generator to start under the set conditions. (NOTE: gen signal and island mode signal use the same ATS port, so you can't use auto-start generators if you are using the ATS port for an earth-neutral bonding relay.)

Muchos gracias, amigo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020/10/28 at 11:41 AM, Leshen said:

Hi Guys. My new installation. 24 x 390w JA Mono solar panels with an 8kw Sunsynk inverter and 2 x 5kwh Bull Lithium batteries.  More pics to follow soon...

B4745B1D-1150-4B61-8D00-2716923D85D3.jpeg

D330A25C-1E2F-4946-BCA2-6D18881A93C0.jpeg

Hi

I see that the max amps on the inverter is 18a but a few of you on the forum are going over the max amps. Is this safe? has anyone had any issues?

Thanks

50 minutes ago, M4A2 said:

Hi

I see that the max amps on the inverter is 18a but a few of you on the forum are going over the max amps. Is this safe? has anyone had any issues?

Thanks

Hi. You can safely go above 18A, the inverter will limit panel current to 18A. The reason some installers prefer more than 10400w of panels is to produce power earlier in the day and for the late afternoons as well as cloudy days. Just don’t exceed the max Voc of 500v

Gents, It really is nice to see all the positive comments on the Sunsynk inverter.

Please expand on how you use the power generated in your homes.

What special arrangements do you have to prevent overloading?

What type of geysers do you have?

What do you do for power during times of no solar i.e. night time.

I have a 4000W inverter but am now installing pv of 4500w. So it is going to move from a backup to generating power full time. 

But to make do with 4kW power will really take some effort.

All comments will really be appreciated.

On 2020/12/04 at 1:59 PM, M4A2 said:

Hi

Thanks

The max amps PER MPPT is 18.

IOW two strings of xS, or 2PxS (where x is the number of panels in the string).

Charge/discharge amps will be set by the BMS or you can manually set. Mine is set to 148A.

On 2020/12/04 at 8:41 PM, Johandup said:

Gents, It really is nice to see all the positive comments on the Sunsynk inverter.

Please expand on how you use the power generated in your homes.

What special arrangements do you have to prevent overloading?

What type of geysers do you have?

What do you do for power during times of no solar i.e. night time.

I have a 4000W inverter but am now installing pv of 4500w. So it is going to move from a backup to generating power full time. 

But to make do with 4kW power will really take some effort.

All comments will really be appreciated.

Which 4kw inverter do you have? I don't think sunsynk has a 4kw inverter. Only 8kw, 5kw and 3.6kw inverters. 

I have the 8kw sunsynk and run my whole house from the inverter. I have a 4kw geyser but also have evacuated tubes on my geyser. I also run my pool pump and well point pump, a 24000btu and 12000btu inverter aircon when it's very hot. My combined loads hardly ever go beyond 6kw though. I have pushed the inverter to see how it would cope but it just seamlessly blended from the grid anything over 8kw that was needed. Not really concerned about overloading if the grid is available. When there is loadshedding then I just need to make sure that my loads do not go over 5.328kw as that is the maximum that 3 pylontech batteries will be able to provide. I also try and manage it to well below this during loadshedding as I need to make sure that the batteries will last through the 2 hours of loadshedding. 

I have 3 x 3.5kw pylontech batteries connected so use the batteries at night. It's not enough to carry me through a full night and the plan is to eventually add another 3 more batteries. 

My system is running for 4 months now and has reduced my grid usage to virtually zero and already saved over R11k. 

On 2020/12/06 at 7:48 AM, PaulinNorthcliff said:

The max amps PER MPPT is 18.

IOW two strings of xS, or 2PxS (where x is the number of panels in the string).

Charge/discharge amps will be set by the BMS or you can manually set. Mine is set to 148A.

On 2020/12/04 at 2:49 PM, Leshen said:

Hi. You can safely go above 18A, the inverter will limit panel current to 18A. The reason some installers prefer more than 10400w of panels is to produce power earlier in the day and for the late afternoons as well as cloudy days. Just don’t exceed the max Voc of 500v

Thanks for the replies.

So would that mean I could use 2 strings of 7 canadian solar 360w panels per mppt and that would work fine?

My max wattage would just drop by a few watts?

Here's the panel specs:

Power 360W
Input Voltage 39.6V
Output Current 9.10A
Size 2000x992x35mm
Weight 22.5kg
Open Circuit Voltage 47V
Short Circuit Current 9.67A
30 minutes ago, M4A2 said:

Thanks for the replies.

So would that mean I could use 2 strings of 7 canadian solar 360w panels per mppt and that would work fine?

Here's the panel specs:

Power 360W
Input Voltage 39.6V
Output Current 9.10A
Size 2000x992x35mm
Weight 22.5kg
Open Circuit Voltage 47V

Yes. That would be fine. The current will just be clipped by the inverter. The voltage of your 7 panels are still low, so you could probably go with 9 panels if you wanted 

53 minutes ago, M4A2 said:

Thanks for the replies.

Here's the panel specs:

Power 360W
Input Voltage 39.6V
Output Current 9.10A
Size 2000x992x35mm
Weight 22.5kg
Open Circuit Voltage 47V

Perfectly fine. You can safely go up to 9 panels in a string as Vassen said. 

On 2020/10/29 at 8:24 PM, ChristoSnake said:

Nice setup, but you forgot to install the last row of 4 panels on the right-hand side of your roof :lol:

I have nearly as many panels as you have, and in summer my batteries usually recharge before noon.  After that I use the spare energy to boost the water temps in the geyser.  And later in the day the famous Pretoria summer thunderstorms make sure that there's no more generation to be had!

In winter the batteries take a tad much longer to recharge, but at least we are blessed with cloudless weather so it does not really matter...

Hey Christo,

How have you set up your geyser to charge from solar? Do you have a switch to switch it from your inverter to the grid and back? I assume that unless your battery is charged and the sun is shining you wouldn't run the geyser off the inverter?

Thanks for any inspiration you can give :)

Frans

On 2020/12/06 at 7:28 PM, Achmat said:

Which 4kw inverter do you have? I don't think sunsynk has a 4kw inverter. Only 8kw, 5kw and 3.6kw inverters. 

I have the 8kw sunsynk and run my whole house from the inverter. I have a 4kw geyser but also have evacuated tubes on my geyser. I also run my pool pump and well point pump, a 24000btu and 12000btu inverter aircon when it's very hot. My combined loads hardly ever go beyond 6kw though. I have pushed the inverter to see how it would cope but it just seamlessly blended from the grid anything over 8kw that was needed. Not really concerned about overloading if the grid is available. When there is loadshedding then I just need to make sure that my loads do not go over 5.328kw as that is the maximum that 3 pylontech batteries will be able to provide. I also try and manage it to well below this during loadshedding as I need to make sure that the batteries will last through the 2 hours of loadshedding. 

I have 3 x 3.5kw pylontech batteries connected so use the batteries at night. It's not enough to carry me through a full night and the plan is to eventually add another 3 more batteries. 

My system is running for 4 months now and has reduced my grid usage to virtually zero and already saved over R11k. 

Wow, what are you doing to drain 3 3.5kWh Pylontechs? We've got a single 3.5kWh battery and *almost* make it through the night with just that.

But what I was wondering: how do the Pylontechs play with Sunsynk? Does it read the SOC from the Pylontech BMS or does it "guess" based on voltage?

We currently have an Axpert (or possibly a clone, who's to say) and it's been unreliable from the start so I'm looking to ditch it and get a Sunsynk. I currently have ICC running on a Raspberry which receives the SOC readings from the Pylontech and switches the Axpert from inverter to grid if it gets too low.

I'm wondering how that would translate to a Synsynk-based setup.

Thanks!

Frans

32 minutes ago, SolarFrans said:

How have you set up your geyser to charge from solar? Do you have a switch to switch it from your inverter to the grid and back? I assume that unless your battery is charged and the sun is shining you wouldn't run the geyser off the inverter?

Sadly the geyser is still "dumb"...  I use a Geyserwise megafter that will only allow it so turn on between 12:30 - 14:00 if the water does not exceed 62 Deg C.  By that time the batteries are normally fully charged again, and even if they aren't there's enough sun to allow them to continue charging despite the 2kW diverted to the geyser.  I might do something with Tasmota & Nodered at some stage, but at present it works well for me.

BTW: I find it easy to drain my 5x Pylontechs from 100% down to about 40% during a normal winter's night.  I have a video projector & AV system that chows plenty of power when watching movies (we do that most evenings), a file server that runs 6 hard drives continually in a RAID 5 configuration through the night (security system), a 16 zone alarm system with many beams, 200 W fish tank heater that runs roughly half the time, 3x fridge/freezers, electric blankets, etc. etc.  I won't go as far as calling you a Luddite, but I definitely enjoy a more electric life-style 😋

44 minutes ago, SolarFrans said:

Hey Christo,

Thanks for any inspiration you can give :)

Frans

Hi. You can use a 15amp Sonoff switch to power your geyser during the day with a good 2.4g WiFi connection. 

I have 2 x 200l Heattech geysers with a 2kw element in each. I set the timer on the Sonoff to come on at 9am and to go off at 2pm. We still have hot water till the morning. Works well

1 hour ago, SolarFrans said:

But what I was wondering: how do the Pylontechs play with Sunsynk? Does it read the SOC from the Pylontech BMS or does it "guess" based on voltage?

The sunsynk can communicate with the pylontechs through the BMS. You just plug the cable between the inverter and battery, select CAN or RS485 (CAN is preferred) and coms is setup. No need for anything else. 

1 hour ago, SolarFrans said:

Wow, what are you doing to drain 3 3.5kWh Pylontechs? We've got a single 3.5kWh battery and *almost* make it through the night with just that.

We currently have an Axpert (or possibly a clone, who's to say) and it's been unreliable from the start so I'm looking to ditch it and get a Sunsynk. I currently have ICC running on a Raspberry which receives the SOC readings from the Pylontech and switches the Axpert from inverter to grid if it gets too low.

I'm wondering how that would translate to a Synsynk-based setup.

Thanks!

Frans

In summer have my 12000btu inverter aircon in my bedroom running whole night. 

Also have a garden cottage with tenants running from the system as well. 

The BMS talks to the sunsynk and manages the inverter. It sets the max and min charging and discharging rates depending on the SOC. 

My sunsynk is set to never charge from grid but once the the battery went to 9% SOC. The BMS sent a force charge instruction inverter which overrode the inverter settings and it charged to 15% SOC from the grid. The inverter also looks up the state of health of the battery bank. 

Screenshot_20201028-092554_solarmanPro.jpg

Screenshot_20201028-092340_solarmanPro.jpg

Screenshot_20201209-200218_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200824-114815_SOLARMAN Smart.jpg

Edited by Achmat
1 hour ago, ChristoSnake said:

Sadly the geyser is still "dumb"...  I use a Geyserwise megafter that will only allow it so turn on between 12:30 - 14:00 if the water does not exceed 62 Deg C.

Even with the geyserwise, you could still use a sonoff, WITH A RELAY, to switch the element on / off. So you could set the geyserwise to come on from 10:00 to 15:00 and then override it with the sonoff. For me, my geyserwise is set at a minimum of 50 degrees any time of day. At 12:00 I set it to come on and heat the water to 65 degrees, but on very cloudy days I want to use the sonoff to disable this if there isn’t enough solar power. 

1 hour ago, Leshen said:

You can use a 15amp Sonoff switch to power your geyser during the day with a good 2.4g WiFi connection

I hope you are using an external relay. According to the specs of the sonoff, it should be perfectly fine to run the 2kw element but I have seen many posts with fried sonoffs running a 2kw geyser element. 

a 40A 220V coil relay is ~R80 at AC/DC. 

18 minutes ago, Vassen said:

I hope you are using an external relay. According to the specs of the sonoff, it should be perfectly fine to run the 2kw element but I have seen many posts with fried sonoffs running a 2kw geyser element. 

a 40A 220V coil relay is ~R80 at AC/DC. 

Seems strange that a 2kw element would fry a 15A switch. My sonoff registers 9.4A when it comes on. 

I seriously wish people would STOP suggesting Sonoff (any of them) for switching geysers. It’s a shit idea, and enough examples of these melting all over the internet. The relay might handle 15A, but the terminals on the PCB are not rated for that, nor are the tracks on the pcb. 

If you want a smart switch, either use a higher current relay/contactor or use a CBI Astute.

And for the people saying “works fine for me for months”, I say you can also do away with an Earth Leakage. It doesn’t mean it’s a good idea

Edited by gbyleveldt
2 hours ago, Leshen said:

Seems strange that a 2kw element would fry a 15A switch. My sonoff registers 9.4A when it comes on. 

Browse through this thread for some nice smoky proof that it may not always end well... and if you have it installed close to something that can go up on flames... you have a serious problem. 

As I mentioned, even though it’s rated 16A, tests have shown that it cannot handle this for extended periods. Maybe you get lucky, but is it worth the risk.