Inverter & geyser project

Solar newbie

Good day everyone. 

I'm working on a little project involving heating my geyser through solar energy. I haven't baught anything yet, just want to get a couple off opinions first. 

So I have a 200l geyser that I want to heat up. So the plan is to get a 8kw inverter with 18 x 410w solar panels. Now this system will produce much more than my usual consumption needed to run my essentials in the house so the plan is to use the rest of the solar energy to heat up the geyser. So I was thinking of getting they Geyserwise ptc 1.5kw AC/DC element and hook it up with the inverter with external temperature controls to regulate it. I understand it will take longer for the geyser to heat up but with the amount of solar energy available during the day it should be ready for use during the evening. 

Your options Wil be appreciated. 

Kind regards 

This is my solution:

https://powerforum.co.za/topic/7109-6kwh-of-cheap-storage-why-does-no-one-use-it/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-86333

I have since found out that the Geyserwise Senior has an RS485 input, which should allow for simple integration with a home automation setup (but check with Geyserwise first if they will actually release the protocol).

There are also a bunch of other threads around on using Sonoffs or other home automation devices to do it.

1 hour ago, Hannes Bester said:

Good day everyone. 

I'm working on a little project involving heating my geyser through solar energy. I haven't baught anything yet, just want to get a couple off opinions first. 

So I have a 200l geyser that I want to heat up. So the plan is to get a 8kw inverter with 18 x 410w solar panels. Now this system will produce much more than my usual consumption needed to run my essentials in the house so the plan is to use the rest of the solar energy to heat up the geyser. So I was thinking of getting they Geyserwise ptc 1.5kw AC/DC element and hook it up with the inverter with external temperature controls to regulate it. I understand it will take longer for the geyser to heat up but with the amount of solar energy available during the day it should be ready for use during the evening. 

Your options Wil be appreciated. 

Kind regards 

If you get the 8kw sunsynk or Deye inverter you can use the "smart load" feature to charge up your geyser when your batteries are full and when you have sufficient solar power.

I've been doing this for the last 2 weeks and I can't really see the need for the Geyserwise or anything else at all.

On 2020/11/01 at 12:09 PM, excitedphoton said:

If you get the 8kw sunsynk or Deye inverter you can use the "smart load" feature to charge up your geyser when your batteries are full and when you have sufficient solar power.

I think you don't need to use the smart load feature. You can use the ct coil and set grid export to nil? 

3 hours ago, Dani said:

I think you don't need to use the smart load feature. You can use the ct coil and set grid export to nil? 

Correct. 

You have a number of options. There are two inverter outputs. The first being the main load output. This can be your essential loads. 

The second output is the aux which can be configured as a generator input, micro inverter input or wind turbine input if you need additional inputs. Or you can use it as a smart load output for non essential loads. 

The third option is the grid input which is bidirectional which means you can have loads before the inverter and set the inverter to zero to home and it will send power to loads like the geyser that are before the inverter. This is controlled by the CT sensor placed just after the municipal meter. This power can come from excess solar or even batteries at night. 

The only thing to remember is that loads before the invert cannot be powered during load shedding. 

Hi piet I'm busy with a design when I'm done with it I'll give some feedback on it. 

I'm going to design a changeover circuit with some contractors and a timer that will switch my geyser circuit between the inverter load and eskom power. The idea with this is to run the 200l geyser on the inverter with a 2kw element in the day time and then switch over to eskom power at night to spare my batteries for essentials. I'm also going to try and use a light sensor switch and try and place this sensor in such a way to keep the geyser on eskom load when it's a very cloudy day. Then I'm going to go with a external temperature controller to control the geyser more accurately. 

Personally have my geyser on the grid side of a hybrid inverter and just control the geyser with a sonoff timer. Cheap and easy.  Run the geyser in the morning and it uses solar power and a bit of battery power if needed or eskom when battery is depleted. Then batteries can be charged in the afternoon.  Although I have 350L (3kW element) so no need to run the geyser at night time.