Solar Installation at a Lodge

Gerald_db

• 2 weeks later...

Tell you mate that salt will keep the weeds down - is cheaper than weed killer and has a cumulative effect. I cleared the area in front of the panels and have sprinkled salt which has  quickly bound with the soil. The problem with ground mounted panels is the weeds grow quickly on the drip line. I have not noticed any corrosion but this is the Karoo.

20 minutes ago, Chris Hobson said:

Tell you mate that salt will keep the weeds down - is cheaper than weed killer and has a cumulative effect. I cleared the area in front of the panels and have sprinkled salt which has  quickly bound with the soil. The problem with ground mounted panels is the weeds grow quickly on the drip line. I have not noticed any corrosion but this is the Karoo.

Brilliant - I am going to try this on my paving as well!

1 minute ago, edmundp said:

Brilliant - I am going to try this on my paving as well!

Go to the co-op and get coarse salt it is about R1/kg. If you use the missus's table salt it is going to be an expensive exercise! Ed make sure it cannot leach into the garden the missus will have you guts for garters.

I remember when my dad paved a very large part they put a layer of coarse salt down before laying the paving. This is probably 15-20 years ago and I have never seen weeds on that section of paving. The paving section done before that one do have weeds every now and then.

6 hours ago, edmundp said:

Salt cannot do worse to the rest of the garden than the stuff I am forced to use currently

I'm non-PC in this regard. Glyphosate, aka Roundup. It's bad stuff, but the half-life isn't too bad. If I'm worried about overspray, I ues MCP instead (Banweed). You can use that even on gras.

I have made a move years ago to not use any Roundup, Banweed or any of that off the shelf goed. Their adverts are not up to spec, and the dangers are not worth it.

Was only vinegar ... till now that I got the salt idea here for a more permanent problem solving. Wish I knew that when we put in the driveway paving bricks.

Monsanto is the devil!!!

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Hence my comment about being non PC. You know, between Facebook, alligators, gorillas, Monsanto, immigrants, guns, smoking weed... it's getting hard not to be on the wrong side of popular opinion.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Roundup ½life is a load of cr@p. My wife had a iris nursery and we did some spot treatments before we expanded into a new section and years later I could see which rhizomes came from areas treated with Roundup and which areas came from untreated areas. Conventional weedkillers are plant hormone based. They stimulate the plant and the plant grows too fast causing its demise.

Roundup action is different it acts on an enzyme that then blocks proteins essential to plant growth. This enzyme is only present in plants and hence Roundup's classification of low risk to human health. I am not so sure. In spite of it binding very tightly to soil particles in the glyphosate was found in the majority of waterways, streams and ditches and surprisingly in 77% of rainfall samples. It has now been classified as a probable carcinogen. 

I still use it but very sparingly for one specific problem weed.  

4 hours ago, plonkster said:

... it's getting hard not to be on the wrong side of popular opinion.

No it is not, you just have to chose.

Let me explain: 
Facebook - be private or use FB = wrong side.
Alligators - either you run or you are food = wrong side.
Gorillas - either you run or you are going to face a challenge = wrong side.
Monsanto - either you support them or you are = wrong side.
Immigrants - go back and fix yours or stay and create more problems  = wrong side.
Guns - you have a gun or you don't and then you are in deep sh_t picking a argument with a person that has one  = wrong side.
Smoking weed - you do and be free or you don't and condemn them = wrong side. Weed is good for you, Monsanto will disagree.

I think the difference comes in whether you open your mouth about the choice, or you just shake your head in disbelief and mind your own business. I have way too much of a knee-jerk not to open my big trap. That's the damn problem. So the other day I laughed my head off when this meme came past explaining the perfect storm: What happens when a gorilla shoots an alligator with an AR-15 to save the refugee child who was unsupervised because his transgender parent was in the bathroom (of zer choice) smoking weed grown by monsanto? Well... then the internet goes silent as everyone tries to figure out on which side they are supposed to be! :-)