Does anyone know how accurate the Efergy energy monitoring product is?

I've been using one for a few months, but, after getting a bit of a shock elec bill from the municipality, I did some maths...

COCT says I used 925kWh vs the Efergy Engage platform's 761kWh

That's quite a difference... 

3 hours ago, bobmabena said:

Does anyone know how accurate the Efergy energy monitoring product is?

I've been using one for a few months, but, after getting a bit of a shock elec bill from the municipality, I did some maths...

COCT says I used 925kWh vs the Efergy Engage platform's 761kWh

That's quite a difference... 

it depends on your loads to a certain extent. The efergy is only really measuring current through the ct. It does not measure voltage as this is set by you. However, grid voltages are not always stable and vary a bit at different times of the day. 

The other issue with the efergy is that it does not measure power factor so also adds to inaccuracies especially if your have lots of motor loads. 

they are fine to get a rough idea of usage but should not be relied on heavily. 

3 minutes ago, Vassen said:

The other issue with the efergy is that it does not measure power factor so also adds to inaccuracies

I agree, but not taking power factor into account should mean that the Efergy meter reads more than your actual consumption, not less. Which makes the discrepancy between the CoCT reading and the Efergy meter even worse.

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

I agree, but not taking power factor into account should mean that the Efergy meter reads more than your actual consumption, not less. Which makes the discrepancy between the CoCT reading and the Efergy meter even worse.

With mine, the efergy almost always shows more than the actual as seen from eskom bills as well as my inverter readings. 

As far as I remember, the Efergy monitor has a setting where you enter the Mains voltage. If this is set above/below the actual mains voltage, the calculated energy will be correspondingly above/below the metered value.

Also check whether the clip-on current sensor is properly attached. The two sensor surfaces must be lightly pressed together (i.e. no gap) and have no cracks, chips or dirt between them.

A third possibility is that the Effergy monitor may not accurately record very low-current loads (standby current of TVs, PSUs etc). This can easily add up over a couple of months.