Noob question: 1 room, 1 light, 2 entrances

Skylinc

Hi.

So I have a noob question. I am in the process of moving house, and in the new house there is a large room with 2 entrances, but only 1 light switch next to 1 of the entrances.

My thinking is that I install a Sonoff 1 Gang switch to replace the existing switch, which will allow me to also control the light via my phone or via Google Assistant.

But I would like a "switch" at the other entrance that will control the same light. There is no current light switch, and I don't know if I want to go through the trouble of cutting into the wall to make that happen.

My preference is Sonoff as I already have a few Sonoff switches on a handful of appliances/lights.

Any advice, please?

A

As far as I am aware multiple qwikswitch wireless switches can be programmed to operate a single receiver (light).

All you need do is install a receiver in the existing switch housing and screw or glue the transmitters wherever you want them.

But it's not a cheap solution but you don't chase walls.

Perhaps someone knows of a cheaper make of similar wireless products.

qwikswitch.co.za

23 hours ago, Richard Mackay said:

Can I suggest that you simply add another light switch at the other door entrance?? A regular light switch must be easier to operate than a Sonoff switch via cellphone..

All to complex. You get a normal switch that is "on" in both positions.  Thus if you switch it of at the door 1 you pass the electricity to door 2 but because its open the light is off and if the position change of the second switch the light goes on ...

You don't understand I can do a small drawing

Hi 

If you want to be fancy you need to install Google home mini smart speaker in the room for less than R500.00 (refurbished from Takealot)  then you can ask it from anywhere to switch on or off  eg "switch on lounge light" . From that room or from your phone. That is if you have good internet. A google mini speaker only needs a power source and Wi-Fi and has many other uses with Google home app. This is my personal choice and I have mini smart speakers in every room in my house. Of course you will need a smart switch to work with it.

Edited by Peter Topp

1 hour ago, Erastus said:

All to complex. You get a normal switch that is "on" in both positions.  Thus if you switch it of at the door 1 you pass the electricity to door 2 but because its open the light is off and if the position change of the second switch the light goes on ...

You don't understand I can do a small drawing

Please do a drawing...

14 hours ago, Bloubul7 said:

Get a Sonoff T3 switch with RF.  At the second entrance you can then mount a Sonoff RF remote on the wall.

781365855_images(1).png.a4fc431dbbd49babe887dea81985ce65.png

This sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

I had a look on TakeALot, and found these:
* https://www.takealot.com/sonoff-t2us-us-plug-wifi-rf433-touch-panel-switch-white-1-gang/PLID55243677
* https://www.takealot.com/sonoff-t2eu1c-rf-86-type-wall-panel-sticky-433mhz-wireless-rf-re/PLID71281896

These are the correct ones, yes?

1 hour ago, Skylinc said:

The US version fits our sockets. The 1st link will be perfect

1 hour ago, Richard Mackay said:

This is the 'hardwired' option: (How much does this cost??)

image.png.053baaba2f57add40248186444f2d246.png

Elegant, and functional. There's nothing wrong with this, but I don't want to go through the schlep of having the wall cut into for an additional socket, and I do want the option of a smart switch.

I also think that this will cost a wee bit more than the +/- R700 for the 2 devices needed.

10 hours ago, Vassen said:

Just bear in mind that these need a neutral wire. Not all light boxes in SA have a neutral. It’s pretty easy to pull the neutral from the light back to the switch if there’s a conduit though. 

if not, for example if the cable is just run directly in the wall, then you need to look for a no-neutral wire version that also uses the eWeLink app. Not sure if the remote still works though. It should though as it’s through eWeLink. 

The remote still works on the Eachen products