Axpert King lost PV input

JohanDbn

• JohanDbn changed the title to Axpert King lost PV input
46 minutes ago, JohanDbn said:

Could it be that the BMS from the pylontech is causing this?

Yes. I suspect that by default, the voltages are way too high for an Axpert to handle without overshoots.

What main and MCU (remote display) (U1 and U2) firmware are you running?

Edit: also, what is you battery voltage?

Edit 2: it's late here (waiting for possible SpaceX launch)... I would not expect high battery voltage to cause the PV icon to go away though. What is your PV voltage?

Edited by Coulomb

71.94 also solved the issue for me with a King and 1x US-3000 on my folks installation

Our issue was when the battery hit 100%, the PV would cut off but we still have voltage... So it will be interesting to know if this solves you problem too

Edited by Jay-Dee

How do we update the inverter?

I put 2 Kings in parallel to give me 10kW single phase

Batteries are 4 x US2000 Pylontech (possibly a bit light, upgrading to 4 x US3000 in New Year.

PV input is 9 x 330w poly 72 cell per inverter, wired as 3s. Voc sits at about 120-125, on load is 99-105.

Our temps rarely drop below +5celcius pre-dawn July. (Comments welcome)

Each array of 9 is on the same roof, one immediately above the other.

The system worked faultlessly for a week, (but plenty of error 69) To overcome this, we started switching the utility supply off between 09.00 and 16.30. The reason for this, is that if we run SUB, there is a possibility, with the overcast conditions at present, (it's our rainy season), the batteries may only be at 40-60% at the end of the day, and then we get a power outage with an evening storm. Overnight requirement is about 4-6kWh, to run security lights, cameras, routers and alarm systems.

After about a week, we noticed suddenly no PV input on one of the inverters, but everything else was completely fine.

I've swapped the inverter out, but would appreciate input as to why it is doing that, and can it be resolved, without a return - under warranty

59 minutes ago, SteveHarris59 said:

PV input is 9 x 330w poly 72 cell per inverter, wired as 3s. Voc sits at about 120-125, on load is 99-105.

I'd rewire as 2S4P and 2S5P (see my signature). It's possible that the solar charge controller overheated. They get much hotter with 3S than with 2S.

1 hour ago, SteveHarris59 said:

The system worked faultlessly for a week, (but plenty of error 69) To overcome this, we started switching the utility supply off between 09.00 and 16.30.

I'm intrigued as to what this achieves. I don't disbelieve you, I just don't own a King yet, and don't know how they work in detail, especially with Pylontechs.

After about a week, we noticed suddenly no PV input on one of the inverters,

Presumably it's still under warranty, and it was an early "bathtub" failure. But I'd still rewire the PV so as to run the SCCs cooler.

4 minutes ago, Coulomb said:

I'd rewire as 2S4P and 2S5P (see my signature). It's possible that the solar charge controller overheated. They get much hotter with 3S than with 2S.

I hear you. It's quite common here (in Zimbabwe) to wire in 3s. However, we will be adding 3 more panels to each array next month, and I prepped the combiners to accept 6 strings each, so it will be 2S6P per array/inverter. This will give me an approximate 3960w per mppt on a specced 4000w maximum and an 80A charge controller.

I'm intrigued as to what this achieves. I don't disbelieve you, I just don't own a King yet, and don't know how they work in detail, especially with Pylontechs.

I suppose what I didn't say was that we then consciously manage our battery levels, to ensure that we have maximum battery at the end of the day, rather than rely on the inverter/pylontech BMS to manage it. Using the Solar MD system is significantly superior to the Pylontech system, especially for managing battery levels and SOC.

Presumably it's still under warranty, and it was an early "bathtub" failure. But I'd still rewire the PV so as to run the SCCs cooler.

Still under warranty. Ironically, the client had a failure with a new Kodak (Solis 4.6) which the agents were unable to resolve, so we opted into this system as a compromise solution, more attuned to the needs of his installation. He is very tech savvy, and is not afraid to experiment a little.

Voc sits at about 120-125

To be pedantic: VOC stand for open circuit voltage.  Your panels are always connected to the SCC, so you are not measuring VOC.  You need to look at the spec sheet of your panels, and then calculate the VOC correcting for the lowest full-sun temperatures you have.  That may well be over the 145V limit.

After about a week, we noticed suddenly no PV input on one of the inverters, but everything else was completely fine.

Was that permanent (a failure) or did it come back (a trip or reset)?  If the latter, upgrade your main firmware to 71.94 - it seems to help quite lot.

I run a setup similar to yours, and also had it 3S at first, with lots of SCC trips and resets.  Converted to 2S - everything runs cooler and better.

Hey guys, 

So it turned out to be the MPPT, i replaced it and all seems fine. 

One more question... 

I have an Axpert King and 2x3000c batteries. I got the cable from Centurion Solar as well, but I see a fluctuating difference between battery discharge and load of up to 100W. What can cause this?

See attached. 

image.thumb.png.38ff21385aa3c008b97f7385ad48b934.png

Edited by JohanDbn
Spelling error

On 2020/12/16 at 3:24 AM, JohanDbn said:

I have an Axpert King and 2x3000c batteries. I got the cable from Centurion Solar as well, but I see a fluctuating difference between battery discharge and load of up to 100W. What can cause this?

It's a combination of estimation (battery current isn't measured directly by the inverter), self consumption (around 50 W), inefficiency of the inverter (higher with higher loads), and the fact that the various items on ICC's display are from command responses perhaps several seconds apart.

Edited by Coulomb
apostraphe missing