New Installation - 5.5Kw Sunsynk; 16x345kw JA solar panels and 2xBSLB 5.1Kw

@ Achmat: I haven’t made any changes to the inverter settings. Will do so later today, based upon your recommendations. 
@bloubul: thanks for the input.I think the no draw settings from 05:00-13:00 is to ensure that I have sufficient battery backup if load shedding kicks in later on in the day. But I think your point is that PV should be suffice you for me, based upon my under 1kw usage (without the kettle; spikes) and what my system is meant to produce. 

3 hours ago, SilverKop said:

3C7A4F63-B2A6-4E3E-AAB9-A9E060EAB15E.jpeg

I would also suggest you increase the zero export power to 50w. 

Basically this is to minimise the amount of electricity that is pushed back to the grid. If you have a prepaid meter it could trip. The inverter will then always draw 50w from the grid. If the prepaid meter is too sensitive you could increase this value and monitor it further. The CT coil will monitor this. 

I unticked the “limit to load only” box. Seems to be working.... thanks. 
I also ticked the “priority load” box in order to prioritise pv power to the load instead of charging the batteries. 
I also changed the time settings from 05:00-13:00 to 85% instead of the previous 100%. 
I don’t have a prepaid meter~ so is the last recommendation still warranted??

59 minutes ago, SilverKop said:

I unticked the “limit to load only” box. Seems to be working.... thanks. 
I also ticked the “priority load” box in order to prioritise pv power to the load instead of charging the batteries. 
I also changed the time settings from 05:00-13:00 to 85% instead of the previous 100%. 
I don’t have a prepaid meter~ so is the last recommendation still warranted??

Glad you got sorted.

You don't need to change the value in zero export power.

• 1 month later...
On 2021/01/11 at 7:44 AM, YellowTapemeasure said:

Everyone seems to struggle with the Sunsynk's interface during the first few days, especially the system mode screen. Once you understand it, it's actually very easy.

It seems I am one of those people.  Neither the manual nor the training videos explain it clearly enough for me to understand and I'm totally confused.  Do you know if there's a more comprehensive explanation somewhere that I can take a look at?

3 hours ago, addisonk said:

It seems I am one of those people.  Neither the manual nor the training videos explain it clearly enough for me to understand and I'm totally confused.  Do you know if there's a more comprehensive explanation somewhere that I can take a look at?

There is a training manual that could maybe shed some further light. Not sure what you are struggling with specifically

Edited by branderplank
4 hours ago, addisonk said:

What exactly are you confused about?  

As others have said, it takes a bit of getting used to, but from then on, it’s pretty easy. 

The system mode settings is the most important screen. 

in my case, the first time I have configured is 01:00. At this time I have said that the battery need to be at 50%. So if before 1:00, the battery is above 50%, it will start discharging until it gets to 50% and it will then switch back to grid. I have grid enabled which means that if the battery is below 50% at 1:00, it will charge from grid until it gets to 50% and then just hold that capacity.  So from 1:00 until the next configured time, the battery cannot go below 50%. If you notice the last time I have configured, it’s 21:00 and the battery needs to be at 80%. So just before 01:00 it’s normally stuck at 80, then at 1:00 it discharges through the night until it gets to 50% or the next time. 

My next time is 04:00 and here I have it set to 40% which means it can drop from 50% down to 40% and so on. 

I had a different profile some time ago but have been experiences some power failures recently so try to keep the batteries more charged. I now have grid charge enabled at 3 times but if it’s clear skis it generally does not need to use the grid to charge. 

Other than that, at the bottom there is use timer. This basically enables the table above, else it just keeps the batteries full like a ups. 

Priority load ticked means that whatever solar power you generate will be used to power the loads first and anything excess will go to charge the battery. If you disable this, solar power will be used to charge batteries first. 

zero export is basically preventing any power going back beyond the ct coil.

sol export bat full means that once the batteries are full, any excess solar power will then be fed to the grid  

limit to load only means that solar power will only be used to power the loads after the inverter and not before like your non essential loads, geysers, stoves, ac, etc.

Zero export power is used to limit the amount of negative spikes you get towards the grid. So here in my case I am constantly drawing 40w from the grid  at a minimum. 

Max sell power is the  size of your solar array 

Hope this helps. 

8B848373-9E46-44B4-83FA-A6789468EFFA.jpeg

Here is a link to the sunsynk  technical support where a suggestion is made on how to prolong your lithium batteries.  I am also new to the Lithium batteries and Sunsynk5.5  and have started with their suggestion (Just adjusted for my 7.4kw SolarMd battery capacity - in my case the half point is 3700 and not the 4800 as on screen belof for their 9.5kw batteries ).

https://www.sunsynk.org/forum/techical-support/how-to-prolong-lithium-battery-life-overspec-a-bit-the-rest-of-the-tweaking-is-maybe-not-worth-the-complexity

a27d24_1494be36f26c4b6db02855302469bfd5~mv2.webp

8 hours ago, Ryeman said:

Here is a link to the sunsynk  technical support where a suggestion is made on how to prolong your lithium batteries.  I am also new to the Lithium batteries and Sunsynk5.5  and have started with their suggestion (Just adjusted for my 7.4kw SolarMd battery capacity - in my case the half point is 3700 and not the 4800 as on screen belof for their 9.5kw batteries ).

https://www.sunsynk.org/forum/techical-support/how-to-prolong-lithium-battery-life-overspec-a-bit-the-rest-of-the-tweaking-is-maybe-not-worth-the-complexity

a27d24_1494be36f26c4b6db02855302469bfd5~mv2.webp

Yes, JP's posts are great!

Busy with my second installation of a SunSynk inverter . The  first was a 5 k unit with a BlueNova 54 125A 6.5 HC Battery. The second is a 8k with the same battery plus 14 x 455 JA Solar panels .The reason for this is the need for a CAN based install that can work with the BlueNova and then the current price for the 5k is surely a cat amongst the Axpert pigeons .  The user manual though is very sparse on info - what I have learned: 

1.The first installation was one without any panels - just as a UPS for now . The manual is quite confusing - from the recommendation that this could be used in a marine environment to the statement later that it should be avoided. The earthing statements also is hilarious with the chinglese also quite entertaining.  

2.I found the training manual and that has cleared up a lot of the confusion and found that the install for the UPS was quite easy . 

I will link the doc here ( larger than the 3MB limit) :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q79849ovp2ujtz6/User manual.pdf?dl=0

3. The Sunsynk you tube channel is also a good resource 

4. This is a feature rich hibrid inverter probably on par with the Victron and at that price probably will now be my go-to install for normal house installs. 

5. Will be running some experiments at my lab setup to understand the beast a bit better .

Regards 

Edited by 1ougat
14 hours ago, Vassen said:

What exactly are you confused about?  

As others have said, it takes a bit of getting used to, but from then on, it’s pretty easy. 

The system mode settings is the most important screen. 

in my case, the first time I have configured is 01:00. At this time I have said that the battery need to be at 50%. So if before 1:00, the battery is above 50%, it will start discharging until it gets to 50% and it will then switch back to grid. I have grid enabled which means that if the battery is below 50% at 1:00, it will charge from grid until it gets to 50% and then just hold that capacity.  So from 1:00 until the next configured time, the battery cannot go below 50%. If you notice the last time I have configured, it’s 21:00 and the battery needs to be at 80%. So just before 01:00 it’s normally stuck at 80, then at 1:00 it discharges through the night until it gets to 50% or the next time. 

My next time is 04:00 and here I have it set to 40% which means it can drop from 50% down to 40% and so on. 

I had a different profile some time ago but have been experiences some power failures recently so try to keep the batteries more charged. I now have grid charge enabled at 3 times but if it’s clear skis it generally does not need to use the grid to charge. 

Other than that, at the bottom there is use timer. This basically enables the table above, else it just keeps the batteries full like a ups. 

Priority load ticked means that whatever solar power you generate will be used to power the loads first and anything excess will go to charge the battery. If you disable this, solar power will be used to charge batteries first. 

zero export is basically preventing any power going back beyond the ct coil.

sol export bat full means that once the batteries are full, any excess solar power will then be fed to the grid  

limit to load only means that solar power will only be used to power the loads after the inverter and not before like your non essential loads, geysers, stoves, ac, etc.

Zero export power is used to limit the amount of negative spikes you get towards the grid. So here in my case I am constantly drawing 40w from the grid  at a minimum. 

Max sell power is the  size of your solar array 

Hope this helps. 

8B848373-9E46-44B4-83FA-A6789468EFFA.jpeg

Thanks for this, it clears up most of the confusion.  So if you have ticked the grid box,  like you have at 15:30, will the battery be limited to charging from the grid only or will it charge from PV if there is sufficient excess PV power?   Similarly, if the grid box is unticked, like you have at 12:45, does that mean the battery will be limited to being charged by the PV or will it charge from the grid if there is insufficient PV power?

2 hours ago, addisonk said:

Thanks for this, it clears up most of the confusion.  So if you have ticked the grid box,  like you have at 15:30, will the battery be limited to charging from the grid only or will it charge from PV if there is sufficient excess PV power?   Similarly, if the grid box is unticked, like you have at 12:45, does that mean the battery will be limited to being charged by the PV or will it charge from the grid if there is insufficient PV power?

With my config, pv is used to supply loads first and if there’s excess, it charges the battery. 

At 15:30, if the battery soc is less than 80%,  it will used pv to supply loads first, excess will be used to charge the battery and it will use grid to charge battery up to what is defined by the bms. 

If the grid box is unticked, it will not charge from grid, it will use whatever excess solar power is available. If no excess solar power is available, and the battery soc is below the value defined in the table, then it will just switch over to grid to power the loads. 

Unless it’s really bad weather for most of the day, my battery gets fully charged anyway and it’s not charged from grid. I’ve just ticked it because if the power issues I have been having recently. No point spending 150k on a solar/backup solution and then still having to sit in the dark. 

3 hours ago, Vassen said:

With my config, pv is used to supply loads first and if there’s excess, it charges the battery. 

At 15:30, if the battery soc is less than 80%,  it will used pv to supply loads first, excess will be used to charge the battery and it will use grid to charge battery up to what is defined by the bms. 

If the grid box is unticked, it will not charge from grid, it will use whatever excess solar power is available. If no excess solar power is available, and the battery soc is below the value defined in the table, then it will just switch over to grid to power the loads. 

Unless it’s really bad weather for most of the day, my battery gets fully charged anyway and it’s not charged from grid. I’ve just ticked it because if the power issues I have been having recently. No point spending 150k on a solar/backup solution and then still having to sit in the dark. 

Thanks again for being so helpful, the picture is becoming clearer.  One last thing that I'm not clear on is what happens during load shedding.   Do these settings continue to function when the grid is lost?  For example, with your settings, if load shedding starts at 04:00 with your battery sitting at 50% SOC will the battery carry the load until it hits 40% SOC and then die?   I remember someone commenting that during load shedding they untick the Use Time box to get the full use of the battery.
I will be setting up my new 5kw Sunsynk tomorrow and  I haven't yet had the opportunity to play with it in real life but I've been trying to understand the theory of operation in readiness for commissioning.

On 2021/02/23 at 6:06 PM, addisonk said:

Thanks again for being so helpful, the picture is becoming clearer.  One last thing that I'm not clear on is what happens during load shedding.   Do these settings continue to function when the grid is lost?  For example, with your settings, if load shedding starts at 04:00 with your battery sitting at 50% SOC will the battery carry the load until it hits 40% SOC and then die?   I remember someone commenting that during load shedding they untick the Use Time box to get the full use of the battery.
I will be setting up my new 5kw Sunsynk tomorrow and  I haven't yet had the opportunity to play with it in real life but I've been trying to understand the theory of operation in readiness for commissioning.

No, during load shedding the battery will continue to discharge until it hits the minimum soc defined by the battery specification, not this table.  For example old pylontech will switch off just below 20% or 15% I think, while the new c versions will go down to 5%. I haven’t taken my battery down that far. 

what we do when we know load shedding is coming is disable the use timer.  This will then charge the batteries to 100% and keep them charged so that you have enough capacity for load shedding.

Its really easy once you get the hang of it. There’s not much to fiddle with once it’s set up correctly. The only thing I change every now and then is this screen that I posted above based on current situation. 

12 hours ago, Vassen said:

No, during load shedding the battery will continue to discharge until it hits the minimum soc defined by the battery specification, not this table.  For example old pylontech will switch off just below 20% or 15% I think, while the new c versions will go down to 5%. I haven’t taken my battery down that far. 

what we do when we know load shedding is coming is disable the use timer.  This will then charge the batteries to 100% and keep them charged so that you have enough capacity for load shedding.

Its really easy once you get the hang of it. There’s not much to fiddle with once it’s set up correctly. The only thing I change every now and then is this screen that I posted above based on current situation. 

Thanks, I think I've got it.  Will be commissioning today so I'm about to find out 😅😅😅

Talking about batteries shutting down during load shedding if there is not enough capacity, have you guys seen Keith’s blog on sunsynk.org regarding the various voltages like alarm, shutdown and restart and using voltage as a reference instead of percentages