8kw Deye invertor with generator

R Cerva

• 1 month later...

Sorry to awaken a thread that seems to be dormant for over a month, but it seems relevant to what I am looking at doing rather than another 'repeat' post:

I want to 'add back in' my old Ryobi 5.5kW genset for they days where there is no grid power and the weather is misbehaving.

As background, I have a pair of 8kw Sunsynk units in parallel. The Sunsynk training Youtube vids make noises about not using a genset on a setup with multiple inverters and suggest a separate inverter unit for charging from a generator (given the hardware is similar/same - I guess this applies to the Deye units too?). This is obviously a very expensive past time for something that is likely to only have a 1 or 2% annual duty cycle.

Is there a cost effective widget that can be attached to the batteries to allow say a constant 2 or 3kw of charge (and load on the genset). In its simplest form, all it needs it is a 230vAC to 48vDC rectifier, but I have struggled to find such. Any suggestions?

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I managed to get my generator working with a single phase Deye inverter, what seems very strange to me is the generator will only charge the batteries to 20% after this it would just sit idle and only draw current if I switch on something drawing more than the PV production like my geyser. So it's almost as if the inverter will not draw from the generator if PV is available. Is this a setting or working as designed?

Edited by JacoG