Pylon stuck in protection

17 hours ago, PurePower said:

I have to totally agree. It seems a whole batch is problematic.

This is what I am experiencing with a single US3000C in my pack:

I have an existing 3 x US2000 Plus pack to which I added a new US3000C and a US2000 module. I have 2 x Axpert MKS 5K 48V (Voltronic PIP-4048MS) connected in parallel. These inverters do NOT offer BMS connectivity to the Pylontech batteries. I make use of ICC to monitor the SOC and change to grid when the pack SOC is at 22%. 

The US3000C is set as the Master module based on the recommendations from the US3000C manual as per below. 

image.png

Last weekend, I commissioned the new modules into the pack. Below are the details of each module and the order in which they are. Address 1 and 2 are the new modules with 3, 4 & 5 being the older modules. 

image.png.4b53cc18e891dba0259f59291002b537.png

All modules have the latest available firmware from the supplier. V1.7 for the US3000C and V2.4 for the US2000 modules. 

There are 2 issues that I have been experiencing since the commissioning of the new modules. 

1. The first issue is that the Master US3000C module goes into an Alarm state and the BMS reports that the module has been shut down. This is occurring during discharge only. All other slaves continue to function. 

image.thumb.png.951e4cd49ff7f9827e74b28e9f3ae498.png

Upon looking at the state in BatteryView, a "SysError" with code 65536 and with no description under the Alarm/Protection info section. The event logs also displays the same for the number of times it has occurred thus far. 

image.thumb.png.eb834162ea30d41301f18e1d186a8295.png

image.thumb.png.ff81591587bd68a79bcda4e1f3a8b19a.png

This has been occurring for the last few nights and only during the discharge cycle. During charge there is no issue to be reported and the battery module functions as expected. The US2000 modules have no event log reported. Something I also noticed is that this "SysError" event occurs during discharge only. It is hard to say what the actual issue is but my suspicions lie with communication to the slave modules. The US3000C has no other protection systems engaged, so all cells are within normal operating range. 

The only way to get the US3000C module out of this state is by switching the module off using the power button and powering it back on again, thereafter using the SW switch after which it soft restarts all the slaves. 

2. The second issue is around the new built in soft-start function on the US3000C. 

The manual indicates a new feature as per below, yet when I start the battery pack up with the Inverters connected, the US3000C log reports a SC (Short Circuit) error and shuts down and alarm light goes on. This is also noticeable in the event log of the US3000C module above. I did not have this issue with the old US2000 modules for the past 3 years until introducing the new US3000C module in.  

image.png

Yesterday I received the V1.8 firmware for the US3000C and the problem still persisted today. The event occurs while I am asleep and when there is minimal load. The soft-start issue also persisted. 

image.png.0f258b3b27b6cc540b2d76d0a47d92c1.png

image.thumb.png.74c8c76ef276ff9a03de9b2aac1ca576.png

Today I have been told to return the US3000C module back so that the board inside can be replaced as per Pylontech's recommendation. So it seems the new board(V10R04) is problematic. If you look at the US3000A modules, they still use the older US2000 boards(PHANTOMSAV10R03) and uses the same firmware as well. I wonder if the "new" board will be the older revision...

This is extremely frustrating that we have to endure these kind of issues. Surely Pylontech has a Quality assurance process that tests these modules in various configurations and checks that each and every unit is in working condition prior to being shipped. Clearly not in this case. 

I will update this thread once the board has been replaced. 

Just an update... last night i ran the entire pack without comms cables between them and low and behold this morning there were no alarms or errors. I've since reconnected the comms cables back and lets see tomorrow what happens. 

How widespread is this issue. Is it only in the first batch of C batteries or are current stock for sale fixed. 

Expecting my first US3000C battery today and connecting it up with my existing bank of 3 x US3000B batteries. 

Sorry for the slight hijack: I have one US3000B that refuses to talk to my four other US3000B batteries, but runs perfectly fine on its own (I therefore assume that the internal BMS & cells are fine).

I always assumed that there are no parts easily available in ZA, but from this discussion it seems that the distributors should be able to source comms boards to assist me?

On 2021/03/12 at 3:15 PM, Achmat said:

How widespread is this issue. Is it only in the first batch of C batteries or are current stock for sale fixed. 

Expecting my first US3000C battery today and connecting it up with my existing bank of 3 x US3000B batteries. 

Difficult to say. Let us know your experience. I was told the latest batch of US3000C modules has the Pylontech sticker with all the details on the side. Mine has the sticker on top.

On 2021/03/12 at 6:31 PM, ChristoSnake said:

Sorry for the slight hijack: I have one US3000B that refuses to talk to my four other US3000B batteries, but runs perfectly fine on its own (I therefore assume that the internal BMS & cells are fine).

I always assumed that there are no parts easily available in ZA, but from this discussion it seems that the distributors should be able to source comms boards to assist me?

Suppliers should be geared up to deal with support for Pylontech modules. 

1 hour ago, PurePower said:

Thanks, but this is the BatteryView software. I am looking for the latest firmware file for the US2000/US3000A modules. I believe its v2.5 as per your post.

Where did you purchase the US3000A from? 

www.solaradvice.co.za

22 hours ago, PurePower said:

Difficult to say. Let us know your experience. I was told the latest batch of US3000C modules has the Pylontech sticker with all the details on the side. Mine has the sticker on top.

My sticker is on top as well. 

Just balancing the battery bank before connecting it up to the inverter. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help so far. Software and wiring diagrams all work a treat 

I am stuck with this..

image.thumb.png.36761d6e5569ce91c491a8c871a2acd1.png

Not sure if this can be reset in software or firmware update or if this is a warranty claim....

Any help would be appreciated.

B

On 2021/03/30 at 9:27 PM, BrendanC said:

Thanks for all the help so far. Software and wiring diagrams all work a treat 

I am stuck with this..

image.thumb.png.36761d6e5569ce91c491a8c871a2acd1.png

Not sure if this can be reset in software or firmware update or if this is a warranty claim....

Any help would be appreciated.

B

Look at the event logs and see what all errors has occurred. 

here is what i got from the error log.

image.thumb.png.0167cce04bb4888d4d0a43456579c6e9.png

Everything after this is essentially the same set of status as the battery was turned on and off as we looked to troubleshoot the issue

image.thumb.png.1f1e4463911e682b1045817b391e9828.png

Any hope of resetting this or is it battery return time ?

Thanks

B

• 3 weeks later...
On 2021/03/12 at 12:03 PM, PurePower said:

Just an update... last night i ran the entire pack without comms cables between them and low and behold this morning there were no alarms or errors. I've since reconnected the comms cables back and lets see tomorrow what happens. 

Just a further update since i last posted about my issue with the US3000C. The battery was returned and the board replaced. Even after having the board replaced the problem persisted randomly. I then explained this to the supplier and they cannot recreate the issue. I contacted Pylontech directly and have sent all logs, details, etc for a few days. They said v1.8 firmware should have addressed the issues of the US3000C mixing with older modules but it didn't for me. Eventually they decided to swop my US3000C out. I am awaiting delivery of the new module. 

Sadly, the new module is throwing the same error every few days. I cannot explain it further but i have noticed that the RS485 info is showing a min cell value of -100 degrees Celsius for all the US2000 modules. It is quite strange. I wonder if this is causing the master to throw an error as a result of that value. 

image.thumb.png.7978ccfd4e7991d5d547386040b4680d.png

The v1.9 firmware solved my error in a mixed packed. I have a master US3000C, US2000 and 3 x US2000+ modules. Working perfectly for the past 5 days. Only noticed the SOH count going up on Cell6 on my US3000C daily... Pylontech said i shouldn't be concerned about it as no alarms have been triggered. 

I have to just keep wondering what that SOH count means and watch it grow... 

image.png.f2b46c2f9453af2a526196fd0c14034a.png