4 Kwatt wind generator

Erastus

Now starting with the preparation of the carbon fiber.  I have been told that the more accurate the raw material fits the mold the better the final result.

So here we go. After spending a few hours to ensure that the template is exact size this is a cutout section of the template on the "mold" prop.  The actual blade color is blue can be seen through the cloth,

image.thumb.png.8d6d06dc4c746f5a2f2900b0f08ef0cf.png

The carbon fiber I am using is plain weave 400g/m².  I will use two layers in the linear direction and then two layers vertical to this fiber direction for strength.  The strength of this cloth is in one direction and therefore I am having 4 layers 3 vertically to the direction of the standard cloth

C202-1-scaled-300x300.jpg

4 minutes ago, Erastus said:

The carbon fiber I am using is plain weave 400g/m².  I will use two layers in the linear direction and then two layers vertical to this fiber direction for strength.  The strength of this cloth is in one direction and therefore I am having 4 layers 3 vertically to the direction of the standard cloth

C202-1-scaled-300x300.jpg

Do they sell it per metre? What is the cost?

@Erastus  Wow!!! Congrats, wonderful project - your "blow by blow" is awesome, keep it coming... 

Just so happens that I have been Youtube'ing for the past few months on this very topic but for me, it is a pipe dream - day job get's in the way of me ever pulling a project like this this off.

Based in Durban interior and hope to be completely off grid in the not too distant future.  Winter is our best time for Solar but Spring and Summer is challenging in terms of Solar.  We can go an entire week with 100% cloud but thankfully we mostly have wind during these times so this is just what i'm looking to add to our setup.

Look forward seeing the final product once you have it all wrapped up... 💪

On 2021/09/03 at 7:49 PM, smurfdbn said:

@Erastus  Wow!!! Congrats, wonderful project - your "blow by blow" is awesome, keep it coming... 

Just so happens that I have been Youtube'ing for the past few months on this very topic but for me, it is a pipe dream - day job get's in the way of me ever pulling a project like this this off.

Based in Durban interior and hope to be completely off grid in the not too distant future.  Winter is our best time for Solar but Spring and Summer is challenging in terms of Solar.  We can go an entire week with 100% cloud but thankfully we mostly have wind during these times so this is just what i'm looking to add to our setup.

Look forward seeing the final product once you have it all wrapped up... 💪

Thanks hope to have it soon.  its almost like a job keeps me busy.

Edited by Erastus

Did some shopping today.  Got all the goodies to make the first part:

For those who are a newbie to carbon fiber like me:

• The roll on the right white and pink is "peel off ply". The peel off ply is used to give a smooth finish on the no mold side or the  back end of the part.
  • The blue section is like a mesh that distributes the resin
  • The roll on the left is the bag that will form the vacuum around the mold. In my case it will be cut in 1/2 and laid over the first section.
  • The spiral to feed the resin to all parts and then the seal of tape.
  • Blue pipe is between the "mold" and the container that holds the mixed resin.

That will follow next

image.thumb.png.b7500bf761336b641845b34eb8d85b8b.png

Round Nr2.

Did some more checks on best practice and got rid of small cuts.  Replace the small cut carbon fiber with a triple woven carbon fiber  material.  Made a new "template" from fabric that does not give way in any direction.

Then started the layering processes.

sORRY i CAN NO LONGER UPLOAD PICTURES TO SHOW

52 minutes ago, Energy-Jason said:

Hi guys. Max upload size for one image is 3Megabyte. If you can shrink them a bit that will be perfect.

Sincerely.

Jason

Hi Jason,

I have tried to upload a screenshot of 230Kb and even on a new topic it fails.

After struggling with the different small pieces I decided to get a tipple woven carbon fiber for the back pieces. 

The next was to cut a new template. The template is a fabric that does not stretch in any direction.

352885200_NewCF450x600.jpg.c0f247991828a0f970479ceb154b1c54.jpg

Now the packing of the different meterials:
Layer 1 Uni Directional CF
Layer 2 Triple Woven CF
578467539_NCFLAI(450x600).png.12a970673edf8437e164bc9cd6ebe157.png

Then all the rest:
First peel ply
Then the "mat" to distribute the resin
Followed by the Tube for evenly spreading the resin
Then the pipe connector

2117075487_AllLayers(450x600).png.3cf855abb65e6dc97bd3f16ebaba465e.png

The following picture shows all the layers closed with the vacuum bag.  The white rope is a resin barrier that will fill with resin and stop the resin from entering the vacuum pot.

The small pieces of masking tape is used to keep the different layers in position as well as the barrier rope.
On the outside of the rope is a very good double sided tape to seal of the bag and create a vacuum container.  The vacuum bag is pressed onto the tape to ensure an air tight container.

So I am ready for the infusion process

668248600_Closed)(450x600).png.62b25e6fc7784dbedb703781514e76d7.png

Edited by Erastus
missed some stuff

• 2 weeks later...

The second try started of well until I applied full vacuum.  "Ohhhhhh dearame".  Full vacuum highlighted flaws in my "mold". I never worked with vacuum before and am amazed with the strength when continues vacuum gets applied to fiber glass.  Thus before I applied resin etc I ran a full vacuum test to check it all. After a few minutes the prop started to show where the week points are and a few wholes in the fiber glass appeared.  The vacuum showed all the weakness of the FBG by creating break spots where fiber glass was applied to thin.

Recon it is time with the knowledge gain to redo the mold and create a strong multi layer mold.

The area in the red circle was ripped from the FBG with full vacuum.

1208855643_wholeinfbg(337x600).jpg.e6b0c99c9c996e4fdc27141f00e7e95e.jpg

Edited by Erastus