Sunsynk and the AUX load output

Tariq

i know that it is based on solar production and battery SOC that you can preset, my question is the priority essential loads then AUX loads then non essential loads OR is it essential loads then non essential loads and finally,if the solar production/SOC is higher than your presets, only then will the aux load be energized.

1 hour ago, Tariq said:

i know that it is based on solar production and battery SOC that you can preset, my question is the priority essential loads then AUX loads then non essential loads OR is it essential loads then non essential loads and finally,if the solar production/SOC is higher than your presets, only then will the aux load be energized.

My understanding is that its the former. 

Essential loads, battery, aux and then loads before the inverter. 

so if i connect the geyser to AUX, then the geyser will switch on according to the two presets, solar production and SOC, and if I put a changeover switch between AUX and the geyser and the second set of contacts on the changeover switch are connected directly to the grid, so when there is no solar, I can switch on/off the geyser manually.

the only negative is see is that you are taking out 2 kW capacity out of 5 kW on the LOAD side, am I correct or is my thinking flawed

22 minutes ago, Tariq said:

so if i connect the geyser to AUX, then the geyser will switch on according to the two presets, solar production and SOC, and if I put a changeover switch between AUX and the geyser and the second set of contacts on the changeover switch are connected directly to the grid, so when there is no solar, I can switch on/off the geyser manually.

the only negative is see is that you are taking out 2 kW capacity out of 5 kW on the LOAD side, am I correct or is my thinking flawed

You are only really taking away the capacity if the you are in an off grid situation. Even then it will only use it if its available. 

If the essential loads needs the full 5kw from the solar and inverter it will pull the rest from the grid if it's available. If the grid is down it will only send power to the aux if its available. 

Remember that the inverter has a high pass through rate of 10.5kw. Basically your loads can be 10kw on the inverter. It will pull everything that solar can provide up to 5kw and the balance from the grid.

I managed to have my essential load peak at over 9kw and the inverter just carried on taking what it needed from solar first, then batteries and lastly from the grid. 

Screenshot_20210118-161416_Photos.jpg

my essential loads are not that high, one 9000 btu aircon, fridge freezer and nofmal lights and plugs , less than 2 kW anyway, so the 2 kW geyser will be under 5 kW total anyway, then the geyser switches on and off automatically !!!!!

7 minutes ago, Tariq said:

my essential loads are not that high, one 9000 btu aircon, fridge freezer and nofmal lights and plugs , less than 2 kW anyway, so the 2 kW geyser will be under 5 kW total anyway, then the geyser switches on and off automatically !!!!!

Yes. Not home right now to check the screens for the aux settings but I'm almost certain you can also specify the max power to send to the aux and what minimum pv output you want the aux to switch on. 

You can also enable it to be permanently on if the grid is available. Is was actually designed for your scenario in using it for a water heater or aircon as a dump load during excess pv availability. 

Edited by Achmat

1 hour ago, Achmat said:

You are only really taking away the capacity if the you are in an off grid situation. Even then it will only use it if its available. 

If the essential loads needs the full 5kw from the solar and inverter it will pull the rest from the grid if it's available. If the grid is down it will only send power to the aux if its available. 

Remember that the inverter has a high pass through rate of 10.5kw. Basically your loads can be 10kw on the inverter. It will pull everything that solar can provide up to 5kw and the balance from the grid.

I managed to have my essential load peak at over 9kw and the inverter just carried on taking what it needed from solar first, then batteries and lastly from the grid. 

I think that @Tariq has the 5.5k Sunsynk, the figure that you have quoted there is for the 8.8k model. The 5.5k also supports pass-through but not so high. Nor exactly sure what it is, but I have pulled over 6.5k from mine without it complaining.

16 minutes ago, YellowTapemeasure said:

I think that @Tariq has the 5.5k Sunsynk, the figure that you have quoted there is for the 8.8k model. The 5.5k also supports pass-through but not so high. Nor exactly sure what it is, but I have pulled over 6.5k from mine without it complaining.

The 5kw does 48A and the 8kw does 90A.

58 minutes ago, Tariq said:

I am confused about the pass thru current/wattage, is it the total of LOAD, AUX and non-essential

Yes, mine is the 5.5 kW

Pass through would be the total load that the inverter can handle with the amount over 5kW coming either from the grid, generator or another AC coupled inverter.

Basically the inverter can only invert 5kW of DC from solar or battery to supply loads but it can blend an additional 5.5kWh from an additional AC source. Normally this would be the grid but it can also be a generator or AC coupled micro inverter. These would however be using the aux so you would not be able to use the aux as an output.

The inverter load output can handle loads of 10.5kWh. 5kW from DC supply + 5.5kW from AC. 

2 minutes ago, Tariq said:

Which version do we have in South Africa, this one has EU at the end of the model description, the one Achmat says US

1F7E19B1-1BCE-4047-B91F-27B6DB9294F1.png

Not sure but there should be a label with the model number on the inverter. My pic was from the latest manual. 

3 minutes ago, YellowTapemeasure said:

The specs are that of the SUN-5K-SG01/03LP1-EU

Tariq Sunsynk.jpg

Thars still good for a combined load of 7.7kW on a 5kW inverter.

90A passthrough on the 8kW is a bit of an overkill. Thats 19.8kW.

51 minutes ago, Achmat said:

Pass through would be the total load that the inverter can handle with the amount over 5kW coming either from the grid, generator or another AC coupled inverter.

Basically the inverter can only invert 5kW of DC from solar or battery to supply loads but it can blend an additional 5.5kWh from an additional AC source. Normally this would be the grid but it can also be a generator or AC coupled micro inverter. These would however be using the aux so you would not be able to use the aux as an output.

The inverter load output can handle loads of 10.5kWh. 5kW from DC supply + 5.5kW from AC. 

That's not the way that I understand it. I understand it to mean that the inverter is rated at 5500W Max, as an inverter. if loads exceed this, then it can allow AC passthrough from the grid of up to 35A @240V (8400W) total, so that's an extra 2900W that it can pass through from the grid over and above the 5500 Watts from PV  / Battery / Wind.

Maybe I was wrong?

@Achmat, on the smart load, do you need a separate neutral from the AUX output to the geyser or can I use the same neutral as LOAD output, reason being that my db is 12 meters away from the inverter, would be one less wire to run