Oh No!

18 hours ago, Fuenkli said:

I agree. Eskom in its present form will die soon. But a well functioning country needs an electricity grid. The grid will work best if as many people as possible are connected to it and share the building and maintenance cost. Looking at what is happening around the world gives us an idea what we have to do here in the future. Power generation and distribution has to be privatized. We have to be able to sell our PV surplus at a profit. Coal, gas and nuclear has to disappear (to dirty and expensive). Massive PV and Wind capacity has to be installed. Electricity distribution (across SA and Africa) has to be expanded.

This market can get very interesting. In the UK you now essentially buy from the suppliers who feed into the grid. So you can chose to buy from a supplier who generates exclusively from renewable sources or employs some other practice that you like. Or you can shop around for a TOU tariff that suits your situation. 

I did some shopping around using the address that I lived in when I was a kid. One supplier (Scottish) said that they would beat any other deal I could get by 1 penny per annum. 

On 2021/02/02 at 4:27 PM, Saint said:

yes eskom asks for guys to switch of swimming pool pumps and geysers etc etc during load, but that is because they are already so close to the cliff, and every bit helps because they are already so deep down the rabbit's hole.... and most days no longer have any spare capacity to ramp up.....

Poor us. Here in Jo'burg the water supplier wants us to not run pool pumps during the day because, they say, this increases evaporation. So they ask us to run the pool pumps in the evening.

But then Eskom ask us to NOT run pool pumps in the evening because that's their peak hours. So we have to bugger around with timing switches and try to run the pool pump in the wee hours for enough hours a day.

On 2021/02/02 at 4:46 PM, Vassen said:

I have also read somewhere that households with solar installation are not allowed to be on prepaid. Possibly to eradicate this issue as well as the problem with people accumulating lots of credits on summer and using it in winter.  So a classic example of existing rules not being enforced but the powers that be wanting to change the rules so that more people need to suffer. 

I should think that this depends on who your supplier is. In Jo'burg you have to go onto a special tariff and have a special meter installed (at your cost) if you want to resell. The rates they pay and the cost of that meter mean that I will actually lose out if resell because what I can sell back will never cover the cost of the meter and the monthly fixed charges that will appear on my account. 

So at present I am on pre-paid, have solar and don't resell. This may be a loop hole that they intend to close, but it's going to be difficult for them because I do feed the meter every now and then, just to keep a nice credit on it because I use a little each month and want to buy units now because they aren't going to get any cheaper.

So at what point do they say that you don't use and don't pay anything so you must switch? 

I don't think they can do that. I think they are going to continue upping the kw/h rate and will reintroduce the fee per month for having a pre-paid meter that was added and then removed the last 2 years.

Methinks load shedding has nothing to do with coal supply or any other nonsense they are trying to feed us.

NERSA negotiations are at the critical stage.

Another worrying fact is that they are shutting down during the weekend, where the demand should be lower. I am scared to mention that 19,583MW is down (close to 50% of capacity) and think they simply don't want to run diesel generators as it costs a fortune.

Eskom's 46665 employees average salary of R785557 per year and debt of R488 billion equates to over 10 million debt per employee. As an analogy, if you are an average employee and stood there and did nothing (not cause damage), you could do that for 13 years before this debt is accumulated.

Of course there are many capable workers at Eskom, but the rot at the top is unbearable. The country needs to break it down as soon as possible, if we want to save the economy.

On 2021/01/30 at 5:01 PM, Bobster said:

You do understand that it's sub-editors who have said that Eskom are "punishing" PV users? Eskom are not using that language. 

You are also attacking language thst I haven't used. The words "first and foremost" are not mine and you are not correcting me.

Indeed you seem to ignore the points I do raise and "correct" me on things I haven't said. 

I'm also no kind of libertarian. Leftist? Well we'd need to discuss some things that aren't appropriate to this board to figure out who is left or right of whom. 

It might be more helpful if you deal with what I actually say rather than what you imagine my political leanings to be. 

You actually raised an interesting technical point here. Why do you need to synchronise with the grid if you don't use it? Or is 10 kw/h a minimal figure you can survive on but you actually use more? 

I do not agree that it is the editors' language, it is pretty plain and clear to the journalists what Eskom are doing. Whether it is "punishment" or communism, it's the same thing.

Please be careful when accusing me of misquoting you, if you read carefully, you will see that this is not the case.

For decades Eskom never had this problem. In their 1994 they were the most efficient utility in the world and in 1990 they supplied more than half of Africa's power. In 2001 they received the "Power Company of the Year" award in New York. Was their demand pattern any different? I am not convinced that is was, consumers still used power in pretty much the same way back then as they do now, morning and evening peaks. The difference is that Eskom and municipalities implemented cost effective ways of managing this, for example the ripple relays on geysers. The electricity supply was run by competent professional people who were qualified, respected and innovative.

This is not the case today.

Should I pay more for the fact that I have a connection, just because I hardly use it? I do not see the fairness in that, but somehow you seem think that it is. Unfortunately you and I already do, it's in all the government bailouts that we have paid in the past 25 years, and all the bailouts and corruption that we will pay in the future. Despite this fact, they now want us to pay more.

So, even if I request to be physically removed from the grid, I will continue to have to pay Eskom for their bungling, stealing and sheer incompetence. The only way not to pay them would be to emigrate, which I have chosen not to do. The fact that I am forced to accept this, does not make it right.

Eskom wants to make the bitter pill sweeter by creating an argument and justification for taking more money from me.    Fortunately, I am not morally confused, and nothing that anyone can do or say is going to convince me otherwise.

I will do everything within my locus of control to ensure that I minimise every single cent that Eskom tries to squeeze from me.

Edited by YellowTapemeasure
typo

22 hours ago, Bobster said:

Poor us. Here in Jo'burg the water supplier wants us to not run pool pumps during the day because, they say, this increases evaporation. So they ask us to run the pool pumps in the evening.

But then Eskom ask us to NOT run pool pumps in the evening because that's their peak hours. So we have to bugger around with timing switches and try to run the pool pump in the wee hours for enough hours a day.

If everyone simply starts using their power the way they want to at any time they want to, then soon eskom will break down totally and the economy will crash completely, then we can start the process of rebuilding :)

When Eskom asks me to reduce load/usage I turn on my kettle and aircon...

8 hours ago, YellowTapemeasure said:

I do not agree that it is the editors' language, it is pretty plain and clear to the journalists what Eskom are doing. Whether it is "punishment" or communism, it's the same thing.

Please be careful when accusing me of misquoting you, if you read carefully, you will see that this is not the case.

Until now you've rarely directly addressed anything I've actually said, "corrected" me (as you would have it) on things I haven't  said (I provided an example) and chucked around these political terms like they're insults and like you know what they mean. I've met very few people who think that "libertarians" are "leftist".

These are labels you are imagining, you don't know me well enough to know if I am either of those things (I can't be both) and I'm steering clear of politics here.

I'm not engaging with you any further in this particular discussion.

• 2 weeks later...

I fail to see why this topic attracts so much negativity.  CoCT and other municipalities already charge a basic grid connection fee and usage on top.  They do this with water as well and even more they then have a deemed sewerage charge based on how much water you use.  Having fees that more directly reflect the usage of something is far better than them taking the easy way out and simply billing for usage at a flat rate.  Heck, I would go further and have time of day based rates - more expensive at peak times and cheaper at off peak times.

The fee isn't targetted at only people who have PV panels.  The fee will be paid by everyone with a consequential reduction in the usage amount.  It's not really different to owning a car.  There are basic per month costs that aren't much related to usage (insurance, finance, etc) and there are costs related to usage (fuel, brakes, tyres, etc).

Just because something might disadvantage you personally, doesn't mean it's the wrong decision or unfair in some way.

• 3 weeks later...