Pylontech 2.4kw battery on 4kw axpert clone inverter

Warlok

Good day.

Is it possible to connect the pylontech 2.4 kw lithium battery to the 4kw axpert clone inverter?

The reason for me asking is that I want to replace my 4*100ah gel batteries.

Max draw from the inverter will be 1.2kw, but only when sun is shining and the aircon is running (4*400w solar panels.)

Other times power consumption is about 500w but this can be lowered to 300w during load shedding, and even to 120w in an emergency.

I phoned a local battery supplier and he told me that this will not be possible, as I have a 4kw inverter and the battery will be 2.4kw. He tells me that I need at least 2*2.4kw pylontechs.

Also, he tells me that I wont get a guarantee if I only use one battery.

I know that 2* batteries will be better. (Ten batteries will also be better), but 1* pylontech is all I can afford after saving for six months and eating pap and chicken everyday to save money.

Please advise. (I  will never, ever draw more than 500w at night during load shedding)

Thanks to all on my journey to freedom from the grid

@Warlok, I have two Pylontech 2.4 ‘s on my 5 kW sunsynk, my night time load varies from about 500 watt with the tv, lights, etc and drops to around 300 watts after we go to sleep, the two batteries last about 12 hours and SOC drops to 20%, which is the cut off set by me, so, yes, you can use one battery to start with, the inverter will just switch over to grid when the battery reaches 20% SOC.

i don’t understand the reason for the number of batteries to maintain warranty is,  is it how high a load you draw from the battery,  the bms controls that anyway,

I was considering adding another battery, but came to the conclusion that Eskom is still cheaper in the long run as compared to adding more lithium batteries.

1 hour ago, Warlok said:

Good day.

Is it possible to connect the pylontech 2.4 kw lithium battery to the 4kw axpert clone inverter?

Max draw from the inverter will be 1.2kw, but only when sun is shining and the aircon is running (4*400w solar panels.)

Other times power consumption is about 500w but this can be lowered to 300w during load shedding, and even to 120w in an emergency.

I phoned a local battery supplier and he told me that this will not be possible, as I have a 4kw inverter and the battery will be 2.4kw. He tells me that I need at least 2*2.4kw pylontechs.

I know that 2* batteries will be better. (Ten batteries will also be better), but 1* pylontech is all I can afford after saving for six months and eating pap and chicken everyday to save money.

Please advise. (I  will never, ever draw more than 500w at night during load shedding)

Run very far away from that supplier and never look back. Clearly he is trying to push you to buy two batteries from him. You can buy one battery and it will work fine with your inverter. You can add on in future, buy from a different supplier. Pylons have 5 years warranty and when you register the battery on Pylontec website, they give you 5 years extended warranty. 

13 hours ago, Warlok said:

Good day.

Your supplier is trying to take you for a ride... if your budget is tight go with one battery and add another later..

Thank you for all the replies.

That was my thoughts exactly. I think the supplier was worried about me maybe adding more load to the system.

What would happen if I draw say 2.6kw at night with eskom off? Like using a hairdryer or a toaster for a short while. The inverter should handle this load, but a 2.4kw battery should not be able to, unless it will for a short while. (like a burst mode?) I read somewhere on the forum that the pylontech could handle up to 5kw for short periods.

But as I said before, the way my system is set up now, I will never draw more than 1.2kw at any one time.

I will be looking at all the different batteries like Pylontech, Dyness, Hubble, Narada, Blue Nova, Shoto, Bull to compare price, performance, quality, guarantee and user experience before I buy.

Thank you again for your help.

24 minutes ago, Warlok said:

Thank you for all the replies.

That was my thoughts exactly. I think the supplier was worried about me maybe adding more load to the system.

What would happen if I draw say 2.6kw at night with eskom off? Like using a hairdryer or a toaster for a short while. The inverter should handle this load, but a 2.4kw battery should not be able to, unless it will for a short while. (like a burst mode?) I read somewhere on the forum that the pylontech could handle up to 5kw for short periods.

But as I said before, the way my system is set up now, I will never draw more than 1.2kw at any one time.

I will be looking at all the different batteries like Pylontech, Dyness, Hubble, Narada, Blue Nova, Shoto, Bull to compare price, performance, quality, guarantee and user experience before I buy.

Thank you again for your help.

The pylontech will supply up to double its rated output for a very short while then switch off and restart a few seconds later. I did this once on my sunsynk inverter and the inverter switched off with a low voltage error. Not sure what your inverter will do if the pylontech restarts. 

1 hour ago, Achmat said:

The pylontech will supply up to double its rated output for a very short while then switch off and restart a few seconds later. I did this once on my sunsynk inverter and the inverter switched off with a low voltage error. Not sure what your inverter will do if the pylontech restarts. 

Thanks, found this datasheetpylontech.JPG.a2808ef818153852d9791b941c4d483f.JPG

I have a 5kva ... 4kw inverter and considering the same option and going to be adding another 2 x 5KVA units to the mix ... was planning to have 3 x 2.4 kwh lithium batteries.

The system is being upgraded from 12 x 105 amp/hr deep cycle enertec batteries ( I didnt install the system ... just relocating and upgrading ... the enertec deep cycle batteries lasted around 4 years then blew out ... high heat and rotten egg smell ... it was a mess) 

The way I worked out that I could use a 2.4kwh - 48VDC x 100 amp/hr = 5040 kmh ... 20-50 % DOD  x 0.5 = 2.5kwh.

I would think the question would be can a 2.4 kwh produce the amount of current as per recommended battery capacity for the inverter ... 200 amp/hr (not the voltage drop over a period of time)  2400 wh / 48 = 50 amphr.

If you read the manual which comes with the inverter ... page 4 

Typical amperage 84 amps

"Recommended battery capacity for 1 x 5 kva inverter 200amp/hr "

2 - 400 amp/hr 

3 - 600 amp/hr 

48 x 200 = 9600 wh 

Something else to take into consideration ... the AC breaker on my unit is a 50 amp why would  they use a 50 amp breaker if the unit is designed for 22 amps (as per label on the side of the unit) some might say for he inrush current ... they recommend 14 mm cable for 22 amp rated machine.

I am trying to figue it all out ... the maths and ratings just dont add up ... hopefully someone can show the claculations and a brief description of how they size the equipment. 

Disclaimer : I am new to all this stuff ... learning by the day.

Edited by isetech

Looking at the big picture ... type of load being supplied ... is it just a few electronic devices ... TV's ... routers ... alarms ... if so why not a modified sine wave ... high frequencey inverter and 48VDC ... 2.4 kwh (50  amp/hr) lithium battery ... no problem.

However ... if we talking ... fridges ... aircons ... pool pumps ... heat pumps etc ... then a pure sine wave ... low frequency ... 48 VDC ... 9.6kwh (200 amp/hr) would be the ideal setup.

Disclaimer: Learning by the day ... please feel free to correct any of my posts if I am talking kak.

1 hour ago, Tariq said:

on my 5 kW inverter with two Pylontech 2.4’s, the bms limits current draw to just over 48 amps, the rest comes from the grid,if solar is not available

@Achmat, does the battery shut down happen when there is no grid and no solar ?

We had load shedding at 6am so there was no solar or grid available when the BMS shut the battery down. My geyser element switched on during this time taking the current above the 111A limit of the 3 x 3.5kw pylontech batteries. 

It was the only time this happened. If the grid is available then it takes the extra needed from the grid. 

Thanks for the feedback.

It's just so sad that we have to spend this type of money so we can have power.

I remember a time when South Africa had the cheapest most reliable power.

Come April, another utility price increase, and the government wants solar users to pay a fixed fee for a grid connection.

Are we not the people who put less pressure on a already strained system? The more people go solar the less strain on the system. The less strain on the grid means less breakdowns, less wear and tear on the power stations and less fossil fuels being burnt.

I am aware of the duck curve, but hell, every little bit helps.

Sorry for the off-topic rant, but if eskom was doing what is was paid for all the years, we could have used the money elsewhere.

But in a way I am glad this is happening. We are pushing technology forward by going off grid. (as the say, "necessity is the mother of invention")

After a lot of research, I will be going with the Pylons.

Thanks for a great forum

On 2021/02/13 at 5:44 PM, Warlok said:

I have a 4KW clone connected to a 3.5KW pylon, it works great. It has some disadvantages like the comms cable between the pylon and clone will not work. Then also a pylon’s operating voltage is lower than gel batteries so the clone’s display will display batteries at about 50% charge even when pylon is actually 100%. The nice thing is you can connect your pylon to batteryview and see exactly the history of how the loads have treated the pylon and the current usage. I had my laptop permanently hooked up to the battery during the first 3weeks of installing the pylon to monitor the unexpected loads that might occur and check any alarms on the history of the battery. 

I was going to buy a second pylon but have realized the one pylon is actually enough. Two weeks back we had a Eskom outage for five days during heavy clouds so the pv was not to great but I still managed to run off-grid during day time, so in the evening when my pylon got to about 20% Soc I started my 3.5KVA generator that charged the battery to 100% while the house was also on generator for that charging period. This made me realized it was the first time in two years Eskom was off for so long and I had to start the generator to compliment the solar so the generator was only needed about 4 hours in the evening once the battery was full we made it easy till the next morning again on the battery. The generator is a much cheaper option then a second battery so I think I might just hang onto the generator even if it’s going to work a few hours every two years.

@GerrieThanks Gerrie.

Having a small generator for absolute emergencies sounds like a genius idea. I have always hated generators because most people have them in my neighborhood. So when the power goes off, on goes the generator. It's a very disturbing sound.

A friend of mine lives in a townhouse, now imagine 8 generators running at night during load-shedding, planned or unplanned maintenance or "we don't actually know what the hell we are doing"... I was quoting our power provider there...

Talking about comms, would a raspberry pi with the ICC or solpiplog software work when connected to the Pylon? I'll check out batteryview.

and....... Eskom got their 15% give or take price increase for April 2021. $#@&%!!!!!!

Edited by Warlok
Added text

7 hours ago, Warlok said:

Talking about comms, would a raspberry pi with the ICC or solpiplog software work when connected to the Pylon? I'll check out batteryview.

I don’t have experience with ICC but I’m sure the raspberry pi can be connected with the battery, my son who is in IT did a experiment with the raspberry pi which worked on the inverter and the Pylontech, he had a bit of a challenge sending commands to the battery though.

Hi.

Found these two lithium batteries from blue nova. The DU is R10000 more expensive than the BU model. Could someone please explain as both units are 5.2kw/h but they say the Du is more suitable for daily cycling and the BU is for occasional cycling.

Thanks again for a great forum

BN52V-100-5.2k_BP(1).pdf

BN52V-100-5.2k-DU(1).pdf

14 hours ago, Warlok said:

Could someone please explain as both units are 5.2kw/h but they say the Du is more suitable for daily cycling and the BU is for occasional cycling.

My guess is that the cells in the more expensive model are optimised for power, rather than energy. So they are heavier, and can take higher charge and discharge currents, but cost more to make.

On 2021/02/21 at 6:49 AM, Coulomb said:

My guess is that the cells in the more expensive model are optimised for power, rather than energy. So they are heavier, and can take higher charge and discharge currents, but cost more to make.

Thanks. so many choices...... think I'll still go for the Pylons...

• 8 months later...

Hi all, I'm in the same dilemma as @Warlok. The DU has better cycles, high discharge rate and longer warranty than BP but the batteries have the same specs. My take on this is that BP  probably contains second life cells, hence reduced number of cycles and low discharge rate. Is anyone using any of these batteries? 

Edited by Tim003