COCT Generation of set Insentive makes batteries to expensive !!! Well done COCT

DDD

• DDD changed the title to COCT Generation of set Insentive makes batteries to expensive !!! Well done COCT
2 hours ago, flamegrilled said:

What does it cost to get to this point? What are the hidden costs? I am not convinced that the COCT is doing this for nothing.

Hidden cost,

COC electrical  R    700
COC solar         R  2000
Meter                R10000           
For me I installed an external isolation box R 275 and the 3 phase cable was R1000
My total cost for solar equipment  inverter, panels was R56K. Since Nov my total savings is R14K.

The reality is if I optimize the system I recon I can get another 18% more power.

For now I am concentrating on getting my wind generator done.

I do not want to claim any credit for the 25c, what I did is I took financials and send it to different people and it is simple.  From my account with COCT they clearly indicate my night time usage is an average of 11 units per night or as per the invoice R543 for the past month. 12 x = R7K x 2 = 14K  and this is equal to the cost of 1 battery of 48V 100amp. Lets say a batt life is4 years then the ROI justifies it.

The "new" 25c changes matters R543 - R142 = R401 x 12 = R4800 * 3 = R14K.  This does not justify spending money on these fancy batteries.

What does justify 11K spending is the wind turbine or maybe 2 or 3 that will take the night usage to 0 and .......  That is why I am moving to add the wind generators.

Edited by Erastus

2 hours ago, Brani said:

The new suggestion on the table is no license required for < 50MW.  Imagine Esdom has to manage 10M solar installation , licenses and checks and ....  it will cost them  quite a bit @ Gupta pricing.

Only a matter of time and your argument falls away. The reality you can not give me a battery system with the savings and the costs.  I challenge you or any other person to beat the costs of my system with any battery system the maintenance, ancillary equipment  of balance'rs and this test and that test and and and.

Get me any investment that gives me this return and I just got a 15% increase and I did not have to fight for it, it was done on my behalf.

Just beat my cost of R70K with R14K already paid off in a few months it is a guaranteed investment no risk no thrills no nonsense.

Put your cards on the table and give a better solution that is cheaper or an investment that you can immediately guarantee no risk and immediate pay outs of a minimum of R3500 per month on an investment of R70K all I ask show me please.  Very important money must be guaranteed and my money must stay at my home.

Edited by Erastus

5 hours ago, Brani said:

My argument is that the system is not fair selling the electricity to users at 3 times they buy from producers like you. Your setup works for you, but many of us need the batteries. 
Due to that fact my payback is much longer than yours, but I’m happy with it as it gives me independence from local supplier and shields me from future increases and load shedding.

Each household has different needs and we should approach it as such.

You are absolutely right. Each house hold has its own needs never argued that.  All I am trying to show people that you can get going for less work to a good system. My friend choose Tesla het spend R230K a year later batteries are giving problems and he is back paying "normal" electricity.

Expensive systems scares many away where the cost defective people can see and start the sooner the COCT's and Esdoms will start feeling the crunch.

Esdom is expecting a loss of revenue of R2B on solar.  If people understand you can start with 4 panels an inverter then that R2B will become R4B quickly.

I am not anti systems or batteries or what ever. I am only trying to show people there is a more economical way.  Thus far I am successful in helping others to get independent. I do not do it for an income I simply want the ANC, DA, EFF to get less $ in their coffins. 

Not about technical best or ...  There are not "that" many that can start with a batt, 8Kw inverter and panels.  But there are many that can start with 4 panels and a 2Kw inverter and experience the change.

Edited by Erastus

Just now, Erastus said:

What is GTI?

Grid Tied Inverter - which has to switch off when grid is down. I like your example, but would recommend setting up with a Hybrid inverter if the feed-in is attractive in your area as this can be expanded to work when grid is down (only requires battery).

Most people going solar, do so to be loadshedding proof - I offer the grid-tie version but once it's clear it has to switch off when grid is down it's mostly a non-starter

52 minutes ago, FixAMess said:

"Most people going solar, do so to be loadshedding proof - I offer the grid-tie version but once it's clear it has to switch off when grid is down it's mostly a non-starter"

Only if you dont have batteries.....

I understand,

What does one need for no electricity?

Majority of us needs lights, TV, Decoder. PC or 2. 

Thus the backup is costing less than R 6000 and I can have it solar driven ...  not what is suggested R2xxxx per battery.

I took the $ of batteries put it into solar panels and smiling all the way.

KISS is the the trade mark.

1 hour ago, Erastus said:

I took the $ of batteries put it into solar panels and smiling all the way.

Until the grid disappears....

Also your option is only financially viable if you're already on the grid and the energy provider will allow feed in. I have an acquaintance who's about to build somewhere outside the CT municipal area, along the west coast and he was talking about somewhere around 60 to 80kR for Eksdom to put in a prepaid meter and power line, there is no power on his premises at this stage, I suggested solar + hybrid inverter + wind turbine + some battery capacity and when all is smeared with what hit the fan a little generator to add some 'lectrons to the batteries. The wind turbine he'll homebrew, the rest will be cobbled together as cost effectively as possible...

5 hours ago, PeterP said:

Grid Tied Inverter - which has to switch off when grid is down. I like your example, but would recommend setting up with a Hybrid inverter if the feed-in is attractive in your area as this can be expanded to work when grid is down (only requires battery).

I know this has come up on this forum before, but I am lekker doff and also forgetful. Are you saying that a proper hybrid inverter, installed without batteries, will continue to provide power during an outage?

15 minutes ago, Bobster said:

OK, so even without batteries it's an improvement on the GTI?

The Hybrid will still require a battery to function during grid-outage - panels will give no power. The reason to start with Hybrid is to give you the option to add battery later instead of having to buy a new inverter once you decide to do so. The Hybrid will export and work while grid is up like Erastus system at a fractionally higher upfront cost but with the added benefit you can add battery at any time (which anyone with a grid-tie only system would ultimately love to have when there is loadshedding...)

7 hours ago, Kalahari Meerkat said:

Until the grid disappears....

Also your option is only financially viable if you're already on the grid and the energy provider will allow feed in. I have an acquaintance who's about to build somewhere outside the CT municipal area, along the west coast and he was talking about somewhere around 60 to 80kR for Eksdom to put in a prepaid meter and power line, there is no power on his premises at this stage, I suggested solar + hybrid inverter + wind turbine + some battery capacity and when all is smeared with what hit the fan a little generator to add some 'lectrons to the batteries. The wind turbine he'll homebrew, the rest will be cobbled together as cost effectively as possible...

Must be very far from Cape Town.  Inbox me a location let me see many small holdings with power from Cpt to Malmesbury to Agter Paarl To Stellenbosch to ...  He must be very far away.

3 hours ago, PeterP said:

The Hybrid will still require a battery to function during grid-outage - panels will give no power. The reason to start with Hybrid is to give you the option to add battery later instead of having to buy a new inverter once you decide to do so. The Hybrid will export and work while grid is up like Erastus system at a fractionally higher upfront cost but with the added benefit you can add battery at any time (which anyone with a grid-tie only system would ultimately love to have when there is loadshedding...)

During the day use a seed generator and solar panels will supply the rest as it is grid tied. Cost +/- R 1200 battery cost R380, At night I have a different type of backup power. It did not cost R25K.  ..  My total system inverter, panels, meter installation cost was R66K plus 3K for COC's. I already got 14K back since Nov and with the added 25c of COCT I simply don't see that it make sense to pay off a battery in 5 years and then its time to say bye bye ...

I been using batteries in Backups .... since 1981 Yes Lipoe is a bit better but .....

Its important to note. I do not have fancy load balance'rs and batt protectors and all that expensive stuff.  I have many batt backup system in the field my normal lead acid ... last on the average 5 years with Eskom outages....  The majority 7 - 8 years.  The ones you buy from First National Batteries. Those that cost R 1300 for 05A batt.

When its for load shedding and power outages you do it right they go a very long way....

I am not here to argu about best systems and batteries. I am currently R900 away from paying my total COCT account with grid tie and all I am tryng to do is to get people to think grid tie.

Financially its worth it and its less than 1/2 the cost of a battery system.

I am not here to bad moth Lipoe or any inverter simply to get people to think a little different.  I just moved a good friend of mine with a Mecer inverter and batteries to grid tied. I think he said it cost him R46K this month he will pay something like R120.

The beauty about grid tie is you can start with less. and build and expand

Edited by Erastus

6 minutes ago, Erastus said:

Must be very far from Cape Town.  Inbox me a location let me see many small holdings with power from Cpt to Malmesbury to Agter Paarl To Stellenbosch to ...  He must be very far away.

Somewhere around St Helena Baai, that Eksdom are doing quoting should pretty much indicate that Cape Town does not cover this far out of town...