Upgrade on existing inverter and batteries.. What to buy

JpPaulKruger

Question

Hi Guys.

So currently I have the following solar solution installed, it’s old, and doesn’t function like I want it to function.  We did a installation at our office and I’m impressed by the functionality on the Victron Inverter Solutions, but, that amount of money, I do not have.  We installed 4x PV Aray modules.  Each module has 12x 415W PV Panels.  Each module wired to a Victron MPPT Controller. 250/100 controllers. We went for the Victron Quattro 48/10000/140-100/100 and the Octo GX module.  Batteries we have 6x PylonTech 3000C Batteries.  Now this is next level, and we are still in the process of instaling and testing this.

now to my actual question.

at home I have a this installed, but want to upgrade.

The Sun Pays” 5Kva Inverter

8x 200AH AGM batteries.

9x 330W Canadian Sun PV Panels. Connected 3 in series then the 3 packs into a combineder box and send that with a 6mm Solar cable to the fuse box and inverter.  Total run about 30m.

now my issue I have is the amount of solar power I throw away, cause this inverter can supply the excess production of pv back into my grid/Non Essentials DB.

so I thought of the following.

batteries will be a no brainer.  For now I’ll get 2x PylonTech 3000C batteries to replace my 5 Year old 8x 200AH Batteries. I’ll add another 2 in a years time.

Inverter I am baffled...

I really like the SunSynk 8Kva hybrid inverter with dual MPPT.  Only thing that got me down is the PV amps.  18amps per mppt controller.  My current setup produces 30Amps, If I change the wiring, 9 panels in series, then the amps will be under 18, and the voltage 423.  But then I can’t add more panels to that aray,  only the 2nd mppt.  Am I understanding this correctly?

What are your thoughts  about the SunSunk 5kva inverter as an alternative?  Can Insupply non essentials with excess production PV with this inverter?  It has 11 Amps per MPPT, so my existing panels will function perfectly, with some minor changes.

Any advice would be appreciated 

2 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, JpPaulKruger said:

Hi Guys.

So currently I have the following solar solution installed, it’s old, and doesn’t function like I want it to function.  We did a installation at our office and I’m impressed by the functionality on the Victron Inverter Solutions, but, that amount of money, I do not have.  We installed 4x PV Aray modules.  Each module has 12x 415W PV Panels.  Each module wired to a Victron MPPT Controller. 250/100 controllers. We went for the Victron Quattro 48/10000/140-100/100 and the Octo GX module.  Batteries we have 6x PylonTech 3000C Batteries.  Now this is next level, and we are still in the process of instaling and testing this.

now to my actual question.

at home I have a this installed, but want to upgrade.

The Sun Pays” 5Kva Inverter

8x 200AH AGM batteries.

9x 330W Canadian Sun PV Panels. Connected 3 in series then the 3 packs into a combineder box and send that with a 6mm Solar cable to the fuse box and inverter.  Total run about 30m.

now my issue I have is the amount of solar power I throw away, cause this inverter can supply the excess production of pv back into my grid/Non Essentials DB.

so I thought of the following.

batteries will be a no brainer.  For now I’ll get 2x PylonTech 3000C batteries to replace my 5 Year old 8x 200AH Batteries. I’ll add another 2 in a years time.

Inverter I am baffled...

I really like the SunSynk 8Kva hybrid inverter with dual MPPT.  Only thing that got me down is the PV amps.  18amps per mppt controller.  My current setup produces 30Amps, If I change the wiring, 9 panels in series, then the amps will be under 18, and the voltage 423.  But then I can’t add more panels to that aray,  only the 2nd mppt.  Am I understanding this correctly?

What are your thoughts  about the SunSunk 5kva inverter as an alternative?  Can Insupply non essentials with excess production PV with this inverter?  It has 11 Amps per MPPT, so my existing panels will function perfectly, with some minor changes.

Any advice would be appreciated 

The 8.8K Sunsynk gets glowing reviews from home users. Newer 8.8K Sunsynk models have MPPT controllers that can take 22A (if I am not mistaken). Amps don't actually matter too much because the controller will clip it (and reduce performance), but over voltage could result in quite a spectacular and expensive incident. A good guide to the process is here https://unboundsolar.com/blog/string-sizing-guide

Agreed that you may want to split your panels, either place half in parallel or take advantage of the 2nd string on the first MPPT, or use the 2nd MPPT controller, just ensure that the minimum voltage is achieved on the second controller.