Goodwe Es Guzzling from Grid in Hybrid Mode

elShankos

19 minutes ago, elShankos said:

Thanks.  An emulator type box is a good way to get around these issues.  Might I asked where you got the box from?  From Revov?  If you have a pic or some specs that would be really helpful - maybe I could try and get hold of one.

I don't know where this one was sourced, just that the installer added it some months after installation and at their expense (and to their credit). It has no branding on it. 

18 hours ago, elShankos said:

Hi Bobster,

Thanks for the comments.  Here are 2 images from midnight to more or less morning - one when the grid is available (crazy numbers and SoC increasing with no PV) and one where I have switched off the grid - nice and normal looking.

93721991_Gridconnected.png.3ce968b07e171e612eed142dc262e06f.png1299380938_NoGrid.png.fa54bd4de82dab6263ee3daf468a50ea.png

The firmware update Goodwe did in order to try and fix this actually made it worse and now it consumes more power from the grid for no reason.  I've double and triple checked the direction of the smart meter CT and its fine.

Also, I now can't access the basic settings within the PV Master App.  So I asked them to put it back to my previous firmware version because at least it worked.  Turns out they now tell me they can't put it back to a firmware version from the end of 2020 (when I got the inverter and installed it) because they "no longer have access to those versions of the firmware".   Now I'm sort of in no mans land between dodgy firmware updates and an inverter that sort of works.

Also, I can only access the Advances Setting part of the app at the moment - nothing very interesting in there except that I had to switch off SoC Protect because the system seems to have defaulted to a 100Ah Lithium pack setting whereas my pack is 202Ah - but I can't really check because once again I can't get into the Basic Settings. 

Our setups look very similar (I looked up the Revov battery option and then decided to build my own pack) so one thing that would really help would be if you could check what firmware version you are running?  And are you able to access the Basic Setting menu? Mine is as per this screenshot from the App:

545876196_Screenshot_20210304-142212_PVMaster.thumb.jpg.304203bcba2abaf21c814e1e70527dfa.jpg

I am on the same firmware 2121A and I can access basic and advanced settings in the PV master app.

Dont have pv installed yet, so cant comment on grid usage yet.

4 minutes ago, Tinuva said:

I am on the same firmware 2121A and I can access basic and advanced settings in the PV master app.

Dont have pv installed yet, so cant comment on grid usage yet.

What phone to you have?  I have a SAMSUNG A30 and maybe that's the issue.

Xiaomi mi9t but its flashed with a custom rom.

I can go into the batteries, selected self define batteries but then went back to my actual pylontech battery setup as I dont want it to do anything wierd.

1 hour ago, elShankos said:

I can get into the basic settings but not the Self Define battery option - sorry should have been more specific

The self define is in the advanced settings.

Cancel that! I need more coffee.

Edited by Bobster

On 2021/03/04 at 3:55 PM, elShankos said:

Thanks.  An emulator type box is a good way to get around these issues.  Might I asked where you got the box from?  From Revov?  If you have a pic or some specs that would be really helpful - maybe I could try and get hold of one.

I have a 150A DALY BMS with Bluetooth link which wo rks perfectly well on its own - balances the cells and protects them etc.  A few pics attached.

Hi I have attached the product spec sheet for the REVOV LiFeC8. If need any more information let me know.

2REVOV LiFeC8 Product Specs Oct2020 v9.pdf

• 2 years later...

I've found this post after searching on google for the same problem that I have. 

I've got GoodWe GW6K-DT last year(2022) in September and I notice this year that I never went above of 4.3kw and I have 18x404w solar panels. After 9 months I've noticed that, and a couple of weeks complaining with my installer, They decided to do a firmware update and then the production improved and now I have around 3,5kwh drawning from the grid every day, as soon the sun touches the panels, this consumption starts and follow the graphic of the energy generation. If the generation drops, the consumptions drops. Nobody at GoodWe reply my tickets, the installer also not answering. I'm now generating more, but consuming more as well.

• 5 months later...
On 2023/06/15 at 2:42 PM, Russ0 said:

I've found this post after searching on google for the same problem that I have. 

I've got GoodWe GW6K-DT last year(2022) in September and I notice this year that I never went above of 4.3kw and I have 18x404w solar panels. After 9 months I've noticed that, and a couple of weeks complaining with my installer, They decided to do a firmware update and then the production improved and now I have around 3,5kwh drawning from the grid every day, as soon the sun touches the panels, this consumption starts and follow the graphic of the energy generation. If the generation drops, the consumptions drops. Nobody at GoodWe reply my tickets, the installer also not answering. I'm now generating more, but consuming more as well.

Just wondering if you have found a way around this issue.

I have a Goodwe ET 10kW hybrid inverter. Firmware was updated a few months ago. When running in 'general' mode the curves on the pvsolarportal look normal and suggest that the solar panels are charging the batteries and then discharging overnight as configured. Except that our municipal power consumption remains way above what I estimate our usage should be. After 18m of monitoring the system I have a good idea of our usage and its impossible to explain our current municipal consumption of 30 kWh per day. When I switch the inverter to 'forced off grid' mode our daily municipal consumption drops to around 10kWh per day, which is much more inline with my expectations. I suspect that the Goodwe is drawing power from Eskom when its connected to the grid even when the batteries are fully charged and the sun is shining. Its much more than a trickle too as reflected in the usage drop when disconnected from the grid. I suspect that the Goodwe is in fact charging our batteries and meeting household demand from Eskom rather than from the PV panels and the batteries. As already mentioned, the pvsolarportal charts look completely normal and don't indicate that anything is wrong.

I can't run the inverter in 'forced off grid' mode all the time as several appliances trip the inverter when in this mode. It seems like the batteries can't supply the start up current required and a little extra help is required from Eskom.

Short of replacing the Goodwe with a better brand, does anyone have any suggestions?