Dual sunsynk 5.5KW inverter with mixed batteries

HannesZ

I just got my sunsynk 5.5KW inverter and 4x Pylontech US3000c working. It has 16 JA 455w panels. But I already find my self planning to expand as my self use is 100%

I see Pylontech has a new 4.8kwh battery. 

I was planning to add a second sunsynk 5.5kw so I can add another 14 JA 550w, but how should I connect the additional batteries? And if I get the 4.8kh should I tie them in with the other 4?

I'm thinking to just connect the 4.8kwh to the second inverter and have them sort out the power distribution. 

Edited by HannesZ

• HannesZ changed the title to Dual sunsynk 5.5KW inverter with mixed batteries
On 2021/03/01 at 8:20 PM, HannesZ said:

I just got my sunsynk 5.5KW inverter and 4x Pylontech US3000c working. It has 16 JA 455w panels. But I already find my self planning to expand as my self use is 100%

I see Pylontech has a new 4.8kwh battery. 

I was planning to add a second sunsynk 5.5kw so I can add another 14 JA 550w, but how should I connect the additional batteries? And if I get the 4.8kh should I tie them in with the other 4?

I'm thinking to just connect the 4.8kwh to the second inverter and have them sort out the power distribution. 

I am looking to expand my panels,(have 10x400W with the Sunsynk 5.5, currently setup with 4 and 6 on each string) I see you mention 16 x JA 455w panels  = 7280W  total  while the SunSynk specs indicate 6500W  max and Keith gave feedback on Sunsynk forum "The 5.5 kw invert has 2 x 2.75 kw mppts if the voc is high the current will clip" ,  how have you setup your panels  and is this working without any damage or clipping ?

No panel ever generates the rated max power in real world condition. 

Regardless even if you did put +6500w capacity on the MPPTs it will only use what it can. The panels generate a voltage and the load(MPPT) takes current. The panels are not a current source. It do not increase its voltage to get a current flow going. It will reach a max voltage if there is no load. It will not increase above this to force a current. If the load is too much it will not be able to provide sufficient current and the voltage will drop. Using this first principle there is no risk to the MPPT if the panels has the ability to provide more power(voltage x current) than what the system can take. Max input Voltage of the MPPT is the risk. This is the only risk. 

As the inverter has two MPPTs I have 8 panels on each in series. Max voltage when no load is well under the 400v of the MPPT. I was very tempted to use 9 but as that is very close to the max voltage of the MPPT I decided to play it safe. 

On a good day I can generate 5800w

Edited by HannesZ

14 minutes ago, HannesZ said:

No panel ever generates the rated max power in real world condition. 

Regardless even if you did put +6500w capacity on the MPPTs it will only use what it can. The panels generate a voltage and the load(MPPT) takes current. The panels are not a current source. It do not increase its voltage to get a current flow going. It will reach a max voltage if there is no load. It will not increase above this to force a current. If the load is too much it will not be able to provide sufficient current and the voltage will drop. Using this first principle there is no risk to the MPPT if the panels has the ability to provide more power(voltage x current) than what the system can take. Max input Voltage of the MPPT is the risk. This is the only risk. 

As the inverter has two MPPTs I have 8 panels on each in series. Max voltage when no load is well under the 400v of the MPPT. I was very tempted to use 9 but as that is very close to the max voltage of the MPPT I decided to play it safe. 

On a good day I can generate 5800w

Hi Hannes

Thanks for the feedback

Would be interesting to see a chart with volts and amps where you reach these peaks of 5800 watt

Hi Hannes

I have 380 watt JA Solar Mono PERC half cell x 14 ( 2x 7) so total of 5320 facing North. Not sure about the tilt though although my roof profile is quite low - so probably in the region of 20 to 25 degrees.

Typically I get 4.3kw here and sometimes it jumps up to 4.5kw or 4.6kw 

I am JHB so trying to get a sense if 80% of rated PV array capacity is good indication (or not)

Thanks

My experience is that I get around 85% real power out out my solar array on hot days.

On cloudy cool days when the sun peaks out I occasionally would get like 115% power output from the panels.

The increased power output doesn't last very long though and goes back down to the usual 85% once the panels get hot.

I'm in Gauteng.

Edited by excitedphoton

7 minutes ago, excitedphoton said:

My experience is that I get around 85% real power out out my solar array on hot days.

On cloudy cool days when the sun peaks out I occasionally would get like 115% power output from the panels.

The increased power output doesn't last very long though and goes back down to the usual 85% once the panels get hot.

I'm in Gauteng.

one of the only reason why GP is better the WC. Sunny clear sky cold days... great for solar. assuming no one removes them when you are at work.