Mono vs. Poly cells

Hi All

I know that Monocrystalline solar cells are more efficient than Polycrystalline cells, and generally are what you'll buy if you want higher power panels. But in the case where the power output is the same, is there a reason to prefer one over the other?

EG - Both panels are 325W, but one is poly- and the other mono-silicon: Will there be a big difference in terms of lifespan, degradation over time, etc? Is there a reason to pay more for the mono solar panel? 

17 hours ago, ThatGuy said:

Hi All

I know that Monocrystalline solar cells are more efficient than Polycrystalline cells, and generally are what you'll buy if you want higher power panels. But in the case where the power output is the same, is there a reason to prefer one over the other?

EG - Both panels are 325W, but one is poly- and the other mono-silicon: Will there be a big difference in terms of lifespan, degradation over time, etc? Is there a reason to pay more for the mono solar panel? 

My understanding, from my research, is that Monos generally perform better under cloudy conditions. That said, there is some (anecdotal) evidence that Polys have evolved somewhat, and that the two competing technologies are on equal footing when it comes to shade and cloud cover conditions.

3 hours ago, YellowTapemeasure said:

My understanding, from my research, is that Monos generally perform better under cloudy conditions. That said, there is some (anecdotal) evidence that Polys have evolved somewhat, and that the two competing technologies are on equal footing when it comes to shade and cloud cover conditions.

But do mono panels "perform better" because they're generally just higher power output than poly panels, or is there some evidence that the same exact power output rating in a mono cell would give more power in the same conditions as a poly cell?

I've also seen people advising to get mono-silicon for shaded areas, but I can't tell if it's just because the panels are EG rated 460W instead of the 360W from a poly cell... If they were both 360W, would they still perform differently?

• 4 weeks later...

Coming back to this topic, because I still haven't found a decent answer... The suppliers of the panels don't seem to know either!

Is there any reason to pay the premium for mono cells and get a "more efficient" panel, even though the poly cell panel can produce more overall power?

Is it a physical size issue: IE - A mono cell panel of the same power will always be smaller than the poly panel due to better efficiency, so you're paying the premium for minor saving on roof space?

Or do the mono panels last measurably longer than the poly (even though they have the same warranty!)?

From what I have read and seen online in videos is the following:

1. Poly and Mono in the similar conditions perform very similar.

2. Mono does better when under shaded conditions.

3. The difference is very marginal.

I costed Poly VS Mono and Mono on average is cheaper so don't see the issues going with them.

I doubt that mono cells will perform better under cloudy conditions vs poly cells, %age wise, I'd imagine you'd get the same yield relative to their rated power, but maybe someone has actually tested this...

In the past monocrystaline panels were more expensive compared to the polycrystaline panels. By now, I think the price difference is fairly minor, its really about real estate now, a mono panel, with its higher efficiency, requires a bit less space, to convert sunlight into the same amount of power compared to a poly panel which would need more space/larger surface area.

But by now the difference in efficiencies are getting smaller and only if you are severely strapped for space, would mono panels make sense to me, unless they come in at the same price/w as the poly's.

When I had to jump last year, I bought based on how many ZAR's/W or rather how few ZAR's/W I could get away with and ended up with 280W Poly JA-Solar panels, which worked out the least costly, there were some Toshiba's and some others as well, which worked out even less expensive, but by the time I could do the transaction, these were no longer available and it seems are no longer being brought in or produced.

On 2021/04/02 at 3:11 PM, Kalahari Meerkat said:

I doubt that mono cells will perform better under cloudy conditions vs poly cells, %age wise, I'd imagine you'd get the same yield relative to their rated power, but maybe someone has actually tested this...

In the past monocrystaline panels were more expensive compared to the polycrystaline panels. By now, I think the price difference is fairly minor, its really about real estate now, a mono panel, with its higher efficiency, requires a bit less space, to convert sunlight into the same amount of power compared to a poly panel which would need more space/larger surface area.

But by now the difference in efficiencies are getting smaller and only if you are severely strapped for space, would mono panels make sense to me, unless they come in at the same price/w as the poly's.

When I had to jump last year, I bought based on how many ZAR's/W or rather how few ZAR's/W I could get away with and ended up with 280W Poly JA-Solar panels, which worked out the least costly, there were some Toshiba's and some others as well, which worked out even less expensive, but by the time I could do the transaction, these were no longer available and it seems are no longer being brought in or produced.

I find the Mono's cheaper now.

Check youtube, some AU peeps have done the Poly VS Mono there.