How do you connect infinisolar inverter to main DB?

nico1

Question

I'm stuck regarding wiring inverter to main DB, the inverter is a true hybrid and must connect to main DB only. No need to separate essential and non essential loads. How do I connect earth leakages and changeover switch? Please share a diagram - even handwritten one will be ok. Thanks in advance

Hi

In your case the wiring should be simple. I started to explain the wiring however I deleted it as I am not an electrician and also by doing this yourself it would not be legal and I could add problems. You have not given any specifications on your inverter or what current your dwelling uses.

My advise now is to work together with someone who has done this before and knows the law for the wiring. The correct mm wiring etc. and to get a coc.

This is only my personal advice. If you have little or no  knowledge of the wiring  it could be an costly and dangerous affair if things go wrong.

Edited by Peter Topp

I have an Inifinisolar too and found Voltronic's manual to be very detailed, except that it does not cater for a changeover switch.

As far as I know (I did not wire it myself, and the earth leakage may be upstream of the changeover) my setup works as follows. With the changeover in mains mode: Grid supply -> mains breaker -> changeover -> earth leakage -> individual distribution breakers.  With the changeover in Inverter mode: Grid supply -> mains breaker -> changeover -> inverter AC in -> inverter AC out -> earth leakage -> individual distribution breakers.

Disclaimer:  I'm also not a sparky and won't be able confirm whether the manual's cable specs conform to our local standards,or the standards for the earth leakage placement!

Hi  nico1

To add to my previous post I am not willing to give a detailed explanation however I am willing to help by giving you a block diagram how I would do the wiring.

I still stand with my previous post.

I hope this will help you.

675527443_wiringinverter.thumb.jpg.61ff81b4c082b9d5b26d89331c38389a.jpg

I hope this will help.

Edited by Peter Topp

No need to separate essential and non essential loads.”

Dependant on your model and amps you’ll draw. 
I had the 4kw hybrid replaced now with a 8kw Sunsynk) and it would go to 5kw amps overload with mains backup.
The Infinisolar performed faultlessly for three years as a backup on a low amp db setup m
It is better (my opinion) to look at the amps you pull from the db.

I had to create its own neutral to earth connection on its delivery side when I installed it. This gave me lots of problems as my house is old with connections going everywhere and I had to sort all the neutrals out. 
At the time I used the opportunity to replace my 60 year old board with new equipment. It was worth it as it has performed faultlessly since. 
Keep to the isolator sizes prescribed by your inverter manual. 
Photos of your db will help. 

Edited by Johandup

I'm building the wiring today as per Topp and Christosnake recommend.

The challenge I'm facing as I wire is the two earth wires on my 6 core 6mm cable plus I bought  two surge protectors dc and ac types. My inverter is also a 4kw.

I bought 63A main switch today. Because my DB has combined isolater and earth leakages.

How do I connect to dc surge earth, because manual says you must not ground +pv and -pv?

The two Earth's wires are confusing me. Aim is to connect 1 to DB and input and another 1 to output of inverter (neutral and earth combine). The earth wires make a circle connection and is confusing me, why not use one?

20 minutes ago, nico1 said:

I'm building the wiring today as per Topp and Christosnake recommend.

The challenge I'm facing as I wire is the two earth wires on my 6 core 6mm cable plus I bought  two surge protectors dc and ac types. My inverter is also a 4kw.

I bought 63A main switch today, I've 40A circuit breaker that will protect inverter input side.. My DB is TN-S (neutral and earth separate)

How do I connect to dc surge earth, because manual says you must not ground +pv and -pv?

The two Earth's wires are confusing me. Aim is to connect 1 to DB and input and another 1 to output of inverter (neutral and earth combine). The earth wires make a circle connection and is confusing me, why not use one?

The 4kw must be able to take a blended 40A max current. If it's trips at 5kw then I will return it Monday. 

Hi nico1

Please tell me what infinisolar you have?  As far as I know the most out of any sigle phase infinisolar is 5.5kW (infinisolar E 5.5KW) all others max 5KW.

I also own a  Infinisolar Plus 5KW which is installed as backup to my Sunsynk 8KW.

Edited by Peter Topp

I have service manuals for the InfiniSolar 3kW & 10kW "Plus" models. This bit of overload spec comes from the 3kW's service manual and I can only guess that same design principles hold true for all the InfiniSolar "Plus" models:

image.png.aae0ba07c4ef418714b6123b23318562.png

I've pushed mine to around 8kW for short bursts (arc welding, mostly)...

3 hours ago, ChristoSnake said:

I have service manuals for the InfiniSolar 3kW & 10kW "Plus" models. This bit of overload spec comes from the 3kW's service manual and I can only guess that same design principles hold true for all the InfiniSolar "Plus" models:

image.png.aae0ba07c4ef418714b6123b23318562.png

I've pushed mine to around 8kW for short bursts (arc welding, mostly)...

May you explain to me why is grid feed relay is rated 40A but the inverter beep at 5kw?

I will test for extended time tomorrow and see how long it will last before tripping.

May you send me service manual to [email protected] thanks 

5 hours ago, Peter Topp said:

Hi nico1

Please tell me what infinisolar you have?  As far as I know the most out of any sigle phase infinisolar is 5.5kW (infinisolar E 5.5KW) all others max 5KW.

I also own a  Infinisolar Plus 5KW which is installed as backup to my Sunsynk 8KW.

RCT Infinisolar V2 3KVA 48V On-Grid Hybrid Inverter 48V DC; 4000W 450V DC MPPT Solar Charger with Parallel Kit

58 minutes ago, Brani said:

The picture is showing feeding back to grid. Is that the case?

Yes feeds back to grid sometimes, sometimes feeds to load only. I'm not sure why? My total panel power 8 x 405w jinko mono  = 3240w below the regulation limit of 4.6k max grid feed power for a 80A kiosk breaker.

Hi nico

The specs are clear that you can only run the output continuously at 3KW which is only 13 amps. The input breaker or relay is rated higher as your input I suspect also includes the battery charging not for output.

With 13amps you can only boil a kettle and have your fridge running with a couple of lights.

To run a whole household though this unit without spiting the loads would be unwise.

8 hours ago, nico1 said:

Yes feeds back to grid sometimes, sometimes feeds to load only. I'm not sure why? My total panel power 8 x 405w jinko mono  = 3240w below the regulation limit of 4.6k max grid feed power for a 80A kiosk breaker.

I assume you have your application with local municipality sorted and adequate anti-islanding protection (grid sensors). Otherwise you will feed back when grid is off, which is dangerous.

I agree 3kVA is way too small to feed the whole house.

Please bear in mind that an inverter generates power that can kill. 
So test your plugs with an earth leakage tester. A 16a plug can only carry 3,5kw +-  
Like all overloaded electric devices an inverter can fail in a spectacular fashion. 
If you can push it to beyond its design output it indicates that your overload mcb connecting it to the db is an incorrect size. For my 4kw Infinisolar it was only 20a - I kept it like that with my Sunsynk 8kw as it manages my low amp db. For a 3kw device it should be 15amp.

Edited by Johandup

43 minutes ago, Johandup said:

Please bear in mind that an inverter generates power that can kill. 
So test your plugs with an earth leakage tester. A 16a plug can only carry 3,5kw +-  
Like all overloaded electric devices an inverter can fail in a spectacular fashion. 
If you can push it to beyond its design output it indicates that your overload mcb connecting it to the db is an incorrect size. For my 4kw Infinisolar it was only 20a - I kept it like that with my Sunsynk 8kw as it manages my low amp db. For a 3kw device it should be 15amp.

I'm planning to test earth leakage today. Thanks

20 hours ago, nico1 said:

Nico, the service manuals I have are not for your inverter model - they're for a different (and seemingly discontinued?) InfiniSolar range.  I do suggest you download your inverter's own user/installation manual from the Voltronic website if you do not have a paper copy.

If you run the inverter in "off-grid" mode, it will never feed into the grid.  If you run it in "grid-tie" or "grid tie with backup" mode, you can decide to let it feed into the grid via the "Allow to feed in to the Grid" option.  Even when you turn this off, it will sometimes feed a small amount of power into the grid while it balances itself with the grid.

The InfiniSolar inverter range has anti-islanding built in when they're in grid tie mode, which means that they won't try to feed in to the grid when the grid fails (i.e. during load-shedding). You don't need any additional grid sensors.

As per the overload specs above I'd expect your inverter to handle a 4.5 kW load for a minute before shutting down, and pushing it any harder will just shut it down much quicker...

1 hour ago, ChristoSnake said:

Thank you for clarification - grid sensors and anti - islanding stuff.

My infinisolar v2 inverter ran 6kw load fo almost an hour (wife cooking with a electric stove), 1.9kw was from solar panels and rest from eskom.

The infinisolar v2 is rated 40A (combined solar and eskom) the inverter itself is 3kw, the inbuilt grid feed relay can handle 40A.

my theory was proven right today

Hi nico1

I am sorry but I beg to differ. There is no way the infinisolar V2 3Kw can sustain a load on the output of 6KW for 1hr. 

The only way  I can see this possible is when you have the bypass switch on and the infinisolar is feeding back to the grid and the mains takes up most of the load. In this case the infinisolar output can be set on or off as it has no effect as it is not connected to the load.

I have a infinisolar plus 5KW unit and now only use it for backup and replaced it with a 8KW Sunsynk as I was continually overloading the passthrough current  (just over 5KW ,21 amps) and I did not want to damage the unit.

The inbuilt feed relay may handle 40 amps but the output to the load will not.

I can be completely wrong, however I will only believe this if I can see tangible proof or verified by another member. This would be a great selling point if this is possible.

I have also gone through the infinisolar V2  manual and found no proof that drawing 6KW on the output in any form is possible.

I also  do not think voltronic would specify a 12awg  4mm squared cable if this was possible.

nico 1 said

My infinisolar v2 inverter ran 6kw load fo almost an hour (wife cooking with a electric stove), 1.9kw was from solar panels and rest from eskom.

The infinisolar v2 is rated 40A (combined solar and eskom) the inverter itself is 3kw, the inbuilt grid feed relay can handle 40A.

my theory was proven right today.

Hi nico1

To clear up all disputes please post a photo of the front panel display when you are running a 6KW load. 

I have attached an example from the infinisolar vII manualscan0006.thumb.jpg.50ae7479366d7c1d71a7e5e5d98e811c.jpg manual.

There would be no questions further if the load were to show anything close to 6KW and your theory will be proven right.

Edited by Peter Topp

16 hours ago, nico1 said:

The infinisolar v2 is rated 40A (combined solar and eskom) the inverter itself is 3kw, the inbuilt grid feed relay can handle 40A.

my theory was proven right today

A short video will also do.

On 2021/03/14 at 11:02 PM, Peter Topp said:

Hi nico1

I am sorry but I beg to differ. There is no way the infinisolar V2 3Kw can sustain a load on the output of 6KW for 1hr. 

The only way  I can see this possible is when you have the bypass switch on and the infinisolar is feeding back to the grid and the mains takes up most of the load. In this case the infinisolar output can be set on or off as it has no effect as it is not connected to the load.

I have a infinisolar plus 5KW unit and now only use it for backup and replaced it with a 8KW Sunsynk as I was continually overloading the passthrough current  (just over 5KW ,21 amps) and I did not want to damage the unit.

The inbuilt feed relay may handle 40 amps but the output to the load will not.

I can be completely wrong, however I will only believe this if I can see tangible proof or verified by another member. This would be a great selling point if this is possible.

I have also gone through the infinisolar V2  manual and found no proof that drawing 6KW on the output in any form is possible.

I also  do not think voltronic would specify a 12awg  4mm squared cable if this was possible.

Hi, I connected my infinisolar v2 as per your recommendation - changeover switch on inverter mode - the I've a 40A circuit breaker supplying the AC in of the inverter - inverter AC out goes back to main DB board earth leakage. (all connected with 6mm x 6 core cable - the (07) alarm is always there for 1 hour - while unit runs plus no overheating experienced)

I will send you a whatsapp video when I start pulling +6kw

connect: Nico @ 067 890 5330

Note: I will be shopping for ICC PI soon, any recommendation brand and software @ good price 🙂

later during the year I will buy 1 or 2 polytech US3000C - answer depends on how much I feed to grid.