Marley SolteQ PV Solar Roof Tile

ViperGTI

Since I'm busy planning to build a new house, I was looking at roof tiles and came across this:

https://marleyroofing.co.za/product/marley-solteq-pv-solar-tile/ or http://www.solteq.co.za/index.html

Has anybody looked at this or enquired about price?  It comes with a 40 year guarantee (will produce 80% of today's energy in 40 years) but I'm guessing it is going to cost a lot.

I enquired about these tiles in Aug. Here was their response.

[quote]

Further to your enquiry regarding our PV roof tiles, please find herein a couple of links, the first is to our latest SA Product Overview document : www.solteq.co.za/SolteQ-SolarRoofs-Product-Overview_SA.pdf and the second :  http://www.solteq.uk/SolteQ-Catalog-Solarroofs.pdf is to our latest catalogue (initially translated from German), where you will be able to see our full range of tiles & specifications. I have also attached some recent example of our roofs , the first two are SA installations and the last is a German installation.

Our active PV tiles start at less than €220/m² and typically cost no more than €370/m², although we do have tiles that cost in excess of €700/m².

If you have a very large roof we would recommend that you consider one of our active tiles that can be combined with a relatively cheap passive tile available from the likes of Marley SA via your local roofing supplier or alternatively from us, but utilizing one of our recently introduced fibre cement passive tiles thereby reducing the overall cost of your roof.

Where maximizing output is a main consideration then our Quad range is recommended.      

Please see below some examples of tile/roof options for South Africa/Africa:

Quad 40 Tiles.

(a). Quad Economy – A 5KWp system output requires 31.5m² of these tiles costing €8,442. Currently these tiles can only be used in conjunction with SolteQ passive tiles.

(b). Quad Premium Black – A 5KWp system output requires 29m² of these tiles costing €9,744. Currently these tiles can only be used in conjunction with SolteQ passive tiles.

The above referenced prices are retail supply only and exclude vat & shipping/freight costs.

Quad 60 Tiles.

(a). Quad Economy – A 5KWp system output requires 31.5m²  of these tiles. Please contact us for our best price for these tiles. Currently these tiles can only be used in conjunction with SolteQ premium passive tiles (non- fibre cement).

(b). Quad Premium Black – A 5KWp system output requires 29m² of these tiles costing €6,427.We now offer a matching fibre cement tile costing less than  €25/m² to be used in conjunction with this active tile as a cheaper alternative to our glass passive tiles.

The above referenced prices are retail supply only and exclude vat & shipping/freight costs.

Infinity Tiles.

(a). Infinity anthracite(600x330) – A 5KWp system output requires 38.24m² of these tiles costing €13,275. These tiles can be used in conjunction with Marley passive tiles.

(b). Infinity XL anthracite(800x510) – A 5KWp system output requires 28m² of these tiles costing €8,260. Currently these tiles can only be used in conjunction with SolteQ passive tiles.

https://marleyroofing.co.za/product/solteq-infinity-slate/

Marley/ SolteQ Tiles.

Marley/SolteQ 420x580 interlocking tile – A 5KWp system output requires 34m²  of these tiles, and will cost between R187,000(10,351 Euros) and R 204,000(11,292 Euros) from Marley SA. These tiles are used in conjunction with Marley passive tiles.

This retail price excludes vat but is inclusive of shipping/freight into SA.

https://marleyroofing.co.za/product/marley-solteq-pv-solar-tile/

All of our tiles/roofs are very well suited to windy conditions and the installation process is no more complicated than fitting a conventional roof covering, the only additional task being the connecting of the tiles using the MC4 push connectors which are factory fitted to the two cables attached to the back of the tiles.

Please note that in order to utilize the PV benefits of our tiles they need to be part of a suitably designed PV system (which we can provide) and used in conjunction with a suitable Inverter (and possibly battery storage).   

Almost all of our tiles/roofs are made to order, in our manufacturing facility in Germany and shipped to South Africa, with a 10 week lead time for delivery into SA, the exception being our Marley/SolteQ tiles which are readily available throughout South Africa from Marley SA.

We are currently dealing with all enquiries from South Africa/Africa via our UK office, prior to handing over to one of our approved country specific dealers.[/quote]

• 2 years later...

Well, since I was building a new house, the prices for some reason just started to skyrocket while I was building.  (In 3 months, the price for my solar panels rose by R30k).  So I started buying the solar components while we were still building.  I can't remember exactly about the tiles, but I think they also worked out more expensive and it probably would have delayed the building project that was already way behind schedule (due to municipality).  Then I also have a lot of things on my roof so that would have negated the effectiveness of the tiles.  On the north side, my roof is full of solar panels and EV tubes for the geyser and on the south side, most of the roof is covered by panels for pool heating.