How is the inverter output connected to an existing house circuit

GordonT

Good day all  ....  Please can someone explain to me how the inverter output power is connected to an existing house circuit so that the inverters power does not feed back to the utility.  What I am looking to achieve is to use the house circuits as normal when the grid is working and then use the same circuits when the inverter is supplying the power.

Thanks in advance 

23 minutes ago, GordonT said:

Good day all  ....  Please can someone explain to me how the inverter output power is connected to an existing house circuit so that the inverters power does not feed back to the utility.  What I am looking to achieve is to use the house circuits as normal when the grid is working and then use the same circuits when the inverter is supplying the power.

Thanks in advance 

Inverters are very sophisticated. 

Basically the inverter will have an input for the grid connection. It would then have an output going to your distribution board. 

If the grid is available, the power will go through the inverter to the house. When the grid fails, backup power can be provided by the inverter from batteries and solar. The same circuts are used. Basically putting the inverter between your municipal meter and you distribution board. 

This is in its basic setup. 

You then get a transfer switch and other configurations depending on what you want to run in the event of grid failure. 

Thank you Achmat  for your reply... If I am understanding your reply correctly it seems that my whole house will then be set to run off the inverter...As my inverter is only a 3kva inverter this would be a problem. Really what I aim to try and do is have my lights and  about three plugs which are on the same circuit breaker work when the power comes from the inverter.. Without having to run round switching off appliances ...Thanks   

15 minutes ago, GordonT said:

Thank you Achmat  for your reply... If I am understanding your reply correctly it seems that my whole house will then be set to run off the inverter...As my inverter is only a 3kva inverter this would be a problem. Really what I aim to try and do is have my lights and  about three plugs which are on the same circuit breaker work when the power comes from the inverter.. Without having to run round switching off appliances ...Thanks   

You can then just run these circut breakers on the output of the inverter. The inverter will seamlessly use grid, batteries or solar depending what is available and settings on the inverter. 

Something like this. 

Grid -> main DB with non essential loads -> inverter -> sub DB with essential loads 

2 hours ago, Achmat said:

You can then just run these circut breakers on the output of the inverter. The inverter will seamlessly use grid, batteries or solar depending what is available and settings on the inverter. 

Something like this. 

Grid -> main DB with non essential loads -> inverter -> sub DB with essential loads 

This would obviously also depend on which inverter they have. Not all inverters are equal. 

Thanks for the replies...   Not sure if i worded my question correctly....... Lets say I wish to use only the Lights circuit on my db board as it normally does grid is working. Then when the grid power is off. I would like to have my inverter use that same Lights circuit that is on my Db Board, without the inverter feeding power back to my electricity meter.  My Question is  how would this connection be made.  

Many Thanks G 

54 minutes ago, GordonT said:

Thanks for the replies...   Not sure if i worded my question correctly....... Lets say I wish to use only the Lights circuit on my db board as it normally does grid is working. Then when the grid power is off. I would like to have my inverter use that same Lights circuit that is on my Db Board, without the inverter feeding power back to my electricity meter.  My Question is  how would this connection be made.  

Many Thanks G 

You take a feed from the DB to the input of the inverter. Then you take the existing light circut and connect it the output of the inverter. Light circut will now receive power via the inverter using the existing wiring and DB circut. When there is no load shedding the electricity will flow from the grid through the inverter to the circut. During load shedding, the inverter will automatically provide power to the light circut from the batteries or solar panels. 

This is a very basic explanation of how it works and I hope that you have an electrician to do this as this is how most on grid backup inverters are connected. 

On 2021/03/27 at 4:40 PM, Achmat said:

You take a feed from the DB to the input of the inverter. Then you take the existing light circut and connect it the output of the inverter. Light circut will now receive power via the inverter using the existing wiring and DB circut. When there is no load shedding the electricity will flow from the grid through the inverter to the circut. During load shedding, the inverter will automatically provide power to the light circut from the batteries or solar panels. 

This is a very basic explanation of how it works and I hope that you have an electrician to do this as this is how most on grid backup inverters are connected. 

Just now, GordonT said:

Your explanation has helped clear up the bit that was not clear to me..  So if i am understanding you correctly.  The way you say it must be wired is that the inverter acts as the main supply to the lights circuit even when the the utility power is on.  So if something goes wrong with the inverter I will have no lights as all my lights are on one circuit..  IS THIS CORRECT Thanks G

23 minutes ago, GordonT said:

You should also install a transfer switch before the inverter. 

Basically the transfer switch has 3 positions. Grid, off and inverter. 

When the inverter needs to be bypassed for whatever reason, you switch it from inverter to the off position and then to the grid position. 

Grid -> transfer switch

-> light circut 

-> off 

-> inverter -> light circut 

Edited by Achmat

On 2021/03/31 at 2:24 PM, GordonT said:

Thank You...... Now i am on board with what you are saying. The extra change over switch is a must..  from an ease of operation and a safety point as well..

Thank you   really appreciated   Gordon T

Please see attached diagram. What size wire would you recommend from the db board to the change over switch and from the change over switch to the inverter.  Does the Hager SFT240 switch  break before it make contact again..

many thanks GordonTimage.png.7fe257e536401eab0c318225d66d8d97.png

• 2 years later...