Sunsynk SMART LOAD, would like to compare notes with other forum members

Tariq

Have a 2 kW geyser hooked up to Smart Load, solar set to 2200 watts, battery soc set to ON at 60%, this is so that geyser switches on as early as possible in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tariq.  I am looking at doing similar.  I have a 8kw Deye inverter with 5kw solar and 7kw Pylon Li - this is more than sufficient for our power requirements as we are fairly energy conscious.  My two x 200l geysers are connected in series and have 2x20 solar tubes (but the vacuum seals on the solar tubes are probably shot!).  Currently have the one geyser on a timer for morning and evening which sorts out our hot water requirements - but cloudy days are an issue!  My plan is to change the element on the second geyser to a 2kw unit and hook this up to the Smart Load function - I would have done this at the time of installation as planned but the installer had no clue as to how the Smart Load worked and the fact that the sticker on the inverter showed this as a Gen port....  

Would appreciate any advice from you, and your experience of the Smart Load effectiveness.  Thanks!!

Posted (edited)

Hi @Pren, I connected the live and neutral from the geyser directly to the AUX port ( through a circuit breaker ), set the solar threshold at 2250 watts ( 2 kW geyser and 250 watt general morning household loads ) and battery soc range 55 % ON and 50% OFF, the system works as designed, comes on when the two conditions are met, if it is a partly cloudy day the system switches on and off depending on pv production.

You can override the system by using “ Always on grid” , if it is a cloudy day and you need to manually power up the geyser, the system will utilize whatever pv is available also use battery up to your preset soc cutoff percentage and then switch over to getting the balance from the grid 

Edited by Tariq

Tariq, wouldn't it be simpler to just leave geyser on non-essential, then you wouldn't have to manage cloudy days and the only downside would be that geyser would not be powered during loadshedding? If loadshedding frequency increases then I can see merit with the Smart Load functionality (for geyser) but if it's one or max two outings a day then geyser should still work.

On 2021/04/02 at 8:21 AM, Tariq said:

Hi @Pren, I connected the live and neutral from the geyser directly to the AUX port ( through a circuit breaker ), set the solar threshold at 2250 watts ( 2 kW geyser and 250 watt general morning household loads ) and battery soc range 55 % ON and 50% OFF, the system works as designed, comes on when the two conditions are met, if it is a partly cloudy day the system switches on and off depending on pv production.

You can override the system by using “ Always on grid” , if it is a cloudy day and you need to manually power up the geyser, the system will utilize whatever pv is available also use battery up to your preset soc cutoff percentage and then switch over to getting the balance from the grid 

Am I correct in assuming that your geyser is already on the essential side or you do not have a DB essential, non essential split?

How do you stop feeding back into the grid from the aux port when the geyser is connected to the non-essential -> Grid?

I.e. how do you separate the geyser from the grid when using the aux port?

16 minutes ago, FixAMess said:

Am I correct in assuming that your geyser is already on the essential side or you do not have a DB essential, non essential split?

How do you stop feeding back into the grid from the aux port when the geyser is connected to the non-essential -> Grid?

I.e. how do you separate the geyser from the grid when using the aux port?

You can split your DB three ways. Essential, configurable non essential and grid side non essential. 

Basically what he has done is only put the geyser on the aux output of the inverter so if certain parameters are met then the inverter will supply power to the loads on the aux output. 

34 minutes ago, Achmat said:

You can split your DB three ways. Essential, configurable non essential and grid side non essential. 

Basically what he has done is only put the geyser on the aux output of the inverter so if certain parameters are met then the inverter will supply power to the loads on the aux output. 

ok, so the inverter aux is only connected to the geyser and the geyser is NOT connected to the grid? I suppose you could put a change over switch to allow for Aux off, grid -> Geyser when there's no sun! 

On my Goodwe, my geyser is on the non-essential side, but I understand that it gets fed from the inverter when I export to "home"...Not sure how it works...If theres no sun then the grid feeds it.

2 minutes ago, FixAMess said:

On my Goodwe, my geyser is on the non-essential side, but I understand that it gets fed from the inverter when I export to "home"...Not sure how it works...If theres no sun then the grid feeds it.

Your Goodwe would have a CT sensor clamped over the main grid feed. The inverter can then monitor what is coming from the grid and will compensate by sending power back so the grid will be zero provided that there is sufficient pv available to supply the essential loads and send excess to zero the municipal meter.