Installer issues

Furbz

Hi All,

i need some advice

I had a new Victron system installed at my offices.

part of the agreement i had with the installer was a full CoC for the system.

i paid 70% of the price upfront, the system was installed in full but no CoC has been issued.

the installer now claims i am withholding payment.

From my side i believe the system is not complete without the CoC. 

i have offered to pay him 60% of the outstanding amount now as a sign of good faith and the remaining in front of him once he hands over the CoC.   

but the installer seems unwilling to come to the table. he wants payment first then he will give me the CoC.

i used to have access to the online platform so that could change settings (to accommodate for load shedding). the installer has now changed my access to view only.

so things have broken down substantially.

what is the industry standard regarding when the installation service is complete?

am i in the wrong here?

the last install i had the installer was paid in full and disappeared into the wind. I never got my CoC hence why i am hesitant to now go paying in full without first 

Edited by Furbz

Personally, I'd take the dude out back and beat the sh1t out of him, but you're probably better off with a lawyer in between, where the lawyer can hold on to the funds still owed, until the installer 1st of all sorts out your access, maybe a penalty should be raised for this and then provides the CoC and only then, the lawyer can issue payment. This installer sounds like someone to be avoided...

I don't believe there is an industry standard. That would require a body that lays down standards. For electricians there are standards regarding the quality of their work, but that doesn't extend to business agreements such as this.

The guy will most likely issue a supplementary COC to cover the changes he has made. To do a full COC requires him to inspect wiring that he had nothing to do with. 

He probably has had customers use his services and not pay in full. So I would say call him, discuss with him, accept that you are both trying to act in good faith, and reach an agreement. And quickly, because whilst you don't have that COC (or the supplement) your insurance is worth not very much.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Bobster said:

I don't believe there is an industry standard. That would require a body that lays down standards. For electricians there are standards regarding the quality of their work, but that doesn't extend to business agreements such as this.

The guy will most likely issue a supplementary COC to cover the changes he has made. To do a full COC requires him to inspect wiring that he had nothing to do with. 

He probably has had customers use his services and not pay in full. So I would say call him, discuss with him, accept that you are both trying to act in good faith, and reach an agreement. And quickly, because whilst you don't have that COC (or the supplement) your insurance is worth not very much.

thats all i am looking for.

i need assurance that the work he has performed is to standard. 

he has been burnt before. but then so have I. 

so who is more correct? - neither of us.

the question here is what is the usual process in the solar installation industry?

in every other industry i have ever worked in until the service is rendered in full one cannot expect to be paid.

Edited by Furbz

Ask the installer if you could make use of Standard Bank Escrow service - you pay the full amount into the account, he is guaranteed the full amount is there. 

Money doesn't move on unless you get your COC, and he has the assurance he will get paid once the COC is done. 

https://www.standardbank.co.za/southafrica/personal/products-and-services/ways-to-bank/innovative-payment-solutions/escrow-service

not a bad idea

3 minutes ago, Blowdart18 said:

Ask the installer if you could make use of Standard Bank Escrow service - you pay the full amount into the account, he is guaranteed the full amount is there. 

Money doesn't move on unless you get your COC, and he has the assurance he will get paid once the COC is done. 

https://www.standardbank.co.za/southafrica/personal/products-and-services/ways-to-bank/innovative-payment-solutions/escrow-service

In my quote from the installer CoC and registration with the City of Cape Town were specifically itemized. I held back those two payments (for several months) till those two items were complete. I think an escrow account is a good solution - shows you have the money and are willing to pay.

In the IT industry I pay the vendors as follows;

1) On delivery of Equipment to site (100% of quoted price for equipment)

2) On commissioning and testing signoff (95% of remaining)

3) 5% on issuing of documentation (CoC)...

From Ordering to delivery in SA is usually 1 week for solar equipment

From start to finish the job should take no more than 3 days, so there's very little risk to vendor re financial loss over that period. If he can't finance himself for 3 days he's not worth the trouble.

I bet the installer who has done your job is not able to issue a CoC.

After we complete an installation, we handover the COC to the client and explain how the system works. Balance of payment normally follows a day or two afterwards. 

If a client can pay me an 80% deposit then I trust that he will pay me the balance after I issue him with a COC. 

1 hour ago, leshen said:

After we complete an installation, we handover the COC to the client and explain how the system works. Balance of payment normally follows a day or two afterwards. 

If a client can pay me an 80% deposit then I trust that he will pay me the balance after I issue him with a COC. 

Ditto - we will only ask for final 30% once job is complete which includes COC and any registration docs. Trust goes both ways.