Brand new to solar setup - getting 5kva/5000w inverter + 400w panels + 6kw lithium battery

Hello there

I have an L shaped roof that I am wanting use for my solar panels; shorter (of the L shape) roof is north facing and longer roof section is west facing. I can't use the other sides (e.g. east facing sides)

From my understanding, I can't have more than 8 panels in series in a string to be within the inverter (INFINISOLAR V2 5KVA/5000W) voltage limits. I've been told (by an installer) that my north facing roof can only hold 4 solar panels.... so my question is: can I have 1 string of 8 panels in series with 4 facing north and 4 facing west? Then I'll have another string of 8 panels all west facing, giving me 2 strings (8 panels in series) to be connected in parallel into the inverter. I would then have 16 panels in total to charge my 6kw lithium battery.

I appreciate any input/feedback.

Thank you kindly.

Any series panels should ideally face the same direction. In a series configuration, the current out of the string is determined by the panel with the lowest output. So if the panels facing one direction are in the shade, or bad light, then power of the whole string will drop.

When I laid out my panel configuration I drew a too scale drawing with all the panels. Perhaps consider the same and see if panels with smaller dimenstion might not make better use of the space. There are many ways to orient and position the panels relative to eachother. Perhaps once you have something to scale you will see a better configuration. 

5 hours ago, Speedster said:

IIRC that inverter only has one mppt. You should be able to parallel the panels, but you will lose quite a lot of efficiency. 

That is correct, these inverters only have 1 MPPT. 

Can you explain the efficiency loss with 2 strings of panels in parallel? My understanding is that I'd get more amps to charge without adding more voltage going into the inverter. 

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, vylint said:

That is correct, these inverters only have 1 MPPT. 

Can you explain the efficiency loss with 2 strings of panels in parallel? My understanding is that I'd get more amps to charge without adding more voltage going into the inverter. 

Many thanks!

Not my area of expertise, but the way I understand it the MPPT would try to find the maximum across the two strings and which probably wouldn't be the best for any string individually. you should have more power than with a single string though. Keep Paul's comment above in mind regarding the series panels too.

Is there a way to get another solar charger to be connected to an existing inverter?

The inverter I have has 1x MPPT controller.... would be awesome if I got another MPPT controller to connect another string of solar panels.

Is this possible or is it a bad idea?

I'm past the point of getting an inverter with 2x MPPT controllers.

3 hours ago, vylint said:

Is there a way to get another solar charger to be connected to an existing inverter?

Yes, I ran my system that way for a few years, before I upgraded to two paralleled inverters (and therefore two MPPTs under control of the master inverter).

So: upgrading to two inverters in parallel (if your finances and your inverter model supports this) is one option.

But another option is to get an MPPT that feeds directly to your battery. When I did this, I set the absorb and float voltage settings of the external MPPT a little lower than that of the main inverter, so that the main inverter handled the absorb to float transition on its own. Otherwise, things got a little confused.

Even with two inverters (they have smallish 3 kW solar charge controllers), I'm considering a third MPPT. I had earmarked this one, but I'm holding off because the cheap panels I acquired may be delaminating.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/60A-MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controller-12V-24V-36V-48V-Auto-Focus-Tracking-AU/183589808259?hash=item2abece2883:m:mkkktzhkTf_lvUNPVioyCiw

(Australian ebay site used, but this would be available from most countries).