Earthing of solar panels. Earth cable in same conduit as pv cables?

Hi Guys. A rather dumb question I guess but could not find any info on this aspect. 

Earthing on solar panels. Is the earth wire from a regulation point of view  allowed to be installed within the same conduit as that of the PV Cables down from the roof or should this be physically separated to increase possible lightning induced damage between the two? 

Or possibly run it outside on the steel conduit?

Edited by Tracsec

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021/04/10 at 4:57 PM, Tracsec said:

Hi Guys. A rather dumb question I guess but could not find any info on this aspect. 

Earthing on solar panels. Is the earth wire from a regulation point of view  allowed to be installed within the same conduit as that of the PV Cables down from the roof or should this be physically separated to increase possible lightning induced damage between the two? 

Or possibly run it outside on the steel conduit?

Yes

Provided that:

6.1.7  If conductors that operate at different voltages run in the same wireway, 
the insulation of each conductor shall be able to withstand the highest 
conductor voltage in the wireway. Alternatively, the conductors shall be 
separated by a continuous barrier of insulating material or earthed metal. 

Edited by Jaws

Good morning all,

I am finalising my system purchases and have one question with regards to earthing on the PV side. I am planning on placing 2 strings of 6 panels on my roof, with the + and - cables running from the panels to my DC combiner box. I have a surge arrestor located in the combiner box. I plan on running a separate earth cable from the panels, down to a newly installed earthing rod.

My question is as follows: The earthing spike will be on the far side of my house (rather far from the DC combiner box) - where should I take the earth from for the surge arrester? Does it need to connect to the same earthing spike as the panels, or can I connect it directly to the house earthing in the DB?