My upgrade installation

had a bit of a setback

one of the inverters did not work and had to be send back to SunSynk for their inspection - the installer (Leshen) took it out of the box and when he installed it he noticed a problem - he contacted Steve(Powerforum) from whom I bought everything and reported it - when they energised the system it showed a fault - just a pity that I now sit with 12 x 305w panels for a couple of days not working and I dont know when will I get my new Inverter back

the RIOT that we bought from Hubble also turned out to be a nightmare - cannot get it connected to the batteries

called Hubble and they referred us to RIOT systems which also just don't help us - poor show Hubble

Leshen and his team did wonders and I am so gratefull to them but a big "disappointment" from Powerforum and Hubble

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Frans,

Sorry to hear that, the RIOT just connects the the master battery and will see all the batteries in parallel. Should really not be hard to install. 

Herewith the manual. I will ask one of the techs from RIOT to give you a call and get it all connected. Please PM me your contact details.

RIOT CloudLink Installation Manual 2_1_8.pdf

• 1 month later...

I received my RIOT yesterday and connected it.  It send all the battery info to the cloud, but nothing from the sunsynk inverter.  I did log a ticket, but still no response.  Searching online today, I have seen comments that RIOT can not read from the CAN bus from the Sunsynk inverter. 

Is this True?

The reason I bought the RIOT was to monitor the entire system, not just the batteries.

Does anyone have the RIOT reporting the sunsynk inverter stats?

Hi Keith,

The Sunsynk does not give any info over CANbus for load, PV and voltages, so we had to move over to their rs232 port. We have completed implementing their serial RS232 protocol to monitor and remotely control the Sunsynk. Currently it is in beta testing still.

You will receive a firmware over the air update in the next 4 weeks automatically. This will enable full sunsynk monitoring.

If any issues please email [email protected]

@HubbleLithium do you have a local API to expose the data the RIOT gathers? I ordered one for cloud monitoring, but in the in the longer term I need to integrate this into my local-only HomeAssistant. (This has the smarts to switch & manage loads) 

Unfortunately if the RS232 port on the SunSynk is being used by the RIOT it makes it much more complicated to hook up my own monitoring.

So if you have a local API I'll start looking at integrating it to HomeAssistant instead of going directly to the SunSynk.

Luckily I also have an SMA Energy meter, so can I manage for now, but I also recommended the RIOT to other friends

I'm still unsure if this will work in the end, with the SMA I can react in ~1 second to changes, and will still need to see what can be done with RIOT & the SunSynk

• 4 weeks later...
On 2021/05/03 at 3:05 PM, HubbleLithium said:

Hi Frans,

Sorry to hear that, the RIOT just connects the the master battery and will see all the batteries in parallel. Should really not be hard to install. 

Herewith the manual. I will ask one of the techs from RIOT to give you a call and get it all connected. Please PM me your contact details.

RIOT CloudLink Installation Manual 2_1_8.pdf 2.18 MB · 15 downloads

I have been battling to get my RIOT connected. the installation manual info about how the device get powered if using the RED serial cable. It just says you shouldn't use the power cable pair with the red serial cable. You only use them with BLUE serial cable and mine didn't come with the blue serial cable. Sent email to support@Hubble and no response