LithiumBatteriesSA 24V LifePo4 Wall Mount Solar UPS Battery

Lindsay

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this 24V battery: https://lithiumbatteriessa.co.za/collections/built-units/products/24v-200ah105ah-5-1kwh-tested-5-2kwh-usable-40a-lifepo4-lithium-iron-phosphate-wall-mount-solar-ups-battery

They tell me if will work fine on my Mecer (Axpert) 3kVA inverter/solar charge controller (SOL-I-AX-3MPLUS24) (and 1.5kW of solar panels).

Just wondering if anyone else is already using these in a similar setup as it sounds like a pretty good option.

Thanks in advance

No problem, the 2 together works fine. Inverter we installed is a 3KVA/2.4KW. We used 35sqmm cable as 25sqmm would have been on limit as max current draw would be approx 96A. With the 35sqmm we avoid a large voltage drop across the cables. 

With a moderately sized inverter like a 3KVA and a that 200AH battery capacity you can expect to survive a long period of loss of mains supply ! Make sure you set the bulk charge; float and low voltage on the inverter as per recommendations. I set the low voltage a little higher to prevent any chance of the BMS disconnecting and thus having to reset it...

IMG_2274 (1).JPG

I am sure this will work on your inverter.

But I will rather go with something more commercial, like pylontech. I am not debating LBSA, I have build my own setup using their cells. But I went with it as it was a lot cheaper for a 48v setup. Their price went up quite a lot over the last year and for not much more you can get 2 x US2500 which is almost the same capacity.

19 hours ago, GreenMan said:

No problem, the 2 together works fine. Inverter we installed is a 3KVA/2.4KW. We used 35sqmm cable as 25sqmm would have been on limit as max current draw would be approx 96A. With the 35sqmm we avoid a large voltage drop across the cables. 

With a moderately sized inverter like a 3KVA and a that 200AH battery capacity you can expect to survive a long period of loss of mains supply ! Make sure you set the bulk charge; float and low voltage on the inverter as per recommendations. I set the low voltage a little higher to prevent any chance of the BMS disconnecting and thus having to reset it...

Thanks, I'll probably get away with 25mm cable as I have an 6a trip switch on the AC, so don't go over 60a on DC. Glad to see it working with what looks like another rebrand of the inverter I have!

2 hours ago, Luminous said:

But I will rather go with something more commercial, like pylontech. I am not debating LBSA, I have build my own setup using their cells. But I went with it as it was a lot cheaper for a 48v setup. Their price went up quite a lot over the last year and for not much more you can get 2 x US2500 which is almost the same capacity.

I did look at Pylontech, specifically the US2000 as it's 24V. There seem to be much more limited options and prices seem higher for the same capacity in 24V, but I'm still looking around a bit before making a final decision :)

2 hours ago, Luminous said:

I am sure this will work on your inverter.

Agree with Luminous that, the Pylons would work just fine too. Of interest is the US2500, from what I can work out, is a 8S pack configuration. Spec sheet says nominal voltage of US2500 is 25.6V. Nominal voltage of a LiFePo4 cell is 3.2V so 3.2 x 8 - 25.6V. The 8S is what we would expect. So it is a pity that they did not stick to the more conventional 16S for the US3000 as they are 15S pack configuration. 

Linday if you are good with your hands, you could build up a 8S pack from a kit from LBSA and this would be cheaper than buying ready built one or buying a Pylontech. 

1 minute ago, GreenMan said:

Agree with Luminous that, the Pylons would work just fine too. Of interest is the US2500, from what I can work out, is a 8S pack configuration. Spec sheet says nominal voltage of US2500 is 25.6V. Nominal voltage of a LiFePo4 cell is 3.2V so 3.2 x 8 - 25.6V. The 8S is what we would expect. So it is a pity that they did not stick to the more conventional 16S for the US3000 as they are 15S pack configuration. 

Are all the Pylontech LifePO4?

2 minutes ago, GreenMan said:

Linday if you are good with your hands, you could build up a 8S pack from a kit from LBSA and this would be cheaper than buying ready built one or buying a Pylontech. 

Yes, I have considered this as well, it would be quite a bit cheaper.

8 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

Are all the Pylontech LifePO4?

Yes, I have considered this as well, it would be quite a bit cheaper.

Yes Pylontechs are LiFePo4 pouch cells. 

Main thing with building your own is to check the battery sense leads  are correct. Then check again and then a 3rd time 😀  to make sure you have got the wiring correct. If not the BMS will very likely go poof and is a goner.