Real world battery performance

1 hour ago, ThatGuy said:

Sorry - I know this is addressed to Leshen directly... And I agree that in principle you only need to replace the faulty part to get a functional system. But the BMS is the Thin Blue Line separating your fancy schmancy lithium batteries from lead-acid anarchy 🤨 

That is to say: If the BMS has been defective then who knows what damage has already been done to the rest of the battery system? Operating on the wrong charge values, or mis-reading voltages or currents could very well have been over or under-charging your cells. There's a 10-Year warranty yes, so if the cycle life is affected long term then you can always do a warranty claim... but you're already struggling to get replacements for NEW batteries, so how confident are you that in 9 years 11 months they'll still have an AM2 with your name on it? 

He isn’t “struggling” to get replacements for new batteries. There is no stock of the AM2. Stock will be available next week and if there is an issue with his battery, it will be replaced by Hubble. 

2 hours ago, leshen said:

He isn’t “struggling” to get replacements for new batteries. There is no stock of the AM2. Stock will be available next week and if there is an issue with his battery, it will be replaced by Hubble. 

Great! I hope when they do, that he'll let us know what the exchange experience was like and if it solved the issue he's having. He's "struggling" as much as anyone of us who can afford their own PV system is "struggling"... which is to say: Not actually that much :)

Thanks for all the thoughts and opinions.

@Chloe - I first noticed something about 2 or 3 days after installation, The 2 batteries were performing at about 70% of expected capacity. I informed my installer and in consultation with Hubble, he tried to balance the 2 batteries but concluded that the one battery was faulty and hence returned it. This is the one that they say might be the BMS - I will get some feedback tomorrow hopefully and let you all know how it goes. 

Since that one was removed, my remaining battery is running at about 86%-90% of expected capacity. One of the reasons I started the post was to try gauge what performance other guys were getting as this was obviously low but I was unsure of how accurate the Sunsynk/Solarman measure was. I wanted to make sure that when my other battery was re-installed I knew what was reasonable to expect.

@Achmat, @Tariq (with Pylontechs) are getting pretty much 100%, @Kill_switchis getting above 100% with same setup as me and @leshen has indicated that he is also getting 100% on his AM2 installations (although measured with RIOT - I don't know if he has checked this on the Sunsynk or Solarman). @ThatGuyhas indicated that he is aware of a test unit that has underperformed. So, as it stands, it appears that my remaining battery is also underperforming, although not as dramatically as the 2 combined. I'm also not sure how the BMS of the remaining battery might have been affected after the other battery was removed but from the feedback so far, there does not appear to be any reason why I should not expect 100% on both batteries. I would expect this to become less over time, but certainly not on a new battery.

I have no issue with Hubble - all products can have faults at some stage, but it is how these are resolved that is important. If Hubble are able to resolve the issues with both batteries I will happily let you know and vice versa.