Can inverter output Voltage in bypass mode be regulated?

VernonR

I have an AfriSolar inverter (I think it is a rebranded Axpert inverter). I'm just using it for backup power for a borehole pump. No PV installed, only batteries.

The issue I'm having is that the Eskom supply voltage fluctuates between 242V and 248V, but the borehole pump can only support up to 240V (according to Franklin). I have had to replace 2 pumps in 7 months now as they burnt out, and according to Franklin it was due to too high voltage. Eskom also says they won't reduce it as other users will complain. I want the inverter to reduce the output Voltage to 230V even when grid is present, so for example 242V in, 230V out. Currently when there is grid power it just goes into bypass mode and the output Voltage is the same as the input. When no grid is present then the output is 230V.

21 hours ago, VernonR said:

I want the inverter to reduce the output Voltage to 230V even when grid is present, so for example 242V in, 230V out. Currently when there is grid power it just goes into bypass mode and the output Voltage is the same as the input.

If it's a rebranded King, then it would do exactly what you want (unless the inverter becomes overloaded).

But all Axperts will output 230 V (or even 220 V with a setting) when in battery mode, as you've noted when the AC-in is not present. It sounds like you are using the default UTI output source priority mode. If you switch to SBU mode, it will stay in battery mode even when AC-in is present, unless the battery voltage drops very low. It sounds like that might be tolerable, or at least much better, for your pump.

If you want to avoid more than 230 V at the output at any time, then you'll need a double conversion model, such as an Axpert King. Afrisolar don't seem to carry that model. The King will require a battery, and may require the solar panels to be re-configured.