Sun Synk 5kW - use for non-critical loads

CSolar

13 hours ago, Laurene said:

Hi. Forgive me if this is not 100% on topic. I have a Sunsynk 8kw. Regarding non essential load side: if I have excess PV power and it feeds the non essential side but the non essential load is more than the excess PV will it use battery to “top up” or pull from grid. Ie. Non essential is 3kw, excess PV is 2kw, will the 1kw shortage come from batteries or grid?

It will come from either depending on how the inverter is programmed and the SOC of the battery bank

7 minutes ago, Tariq said:

@YellowTapemeasure, I also would like to experiment with setting the current draw to 0, IF the pre-paid meter trips, will it reset by itself or will I have to log a call with the municipality.

It depends on where the actual meter sits, here in JHB, the meter is inside a poorly maintained fibreglass box on the ground facing the street, It's not locked at all. I have accessed the tripswitch inside the box, but never fiddled with the meter.

You may end up having to log a call, depending on accessibility. Maybe CoC helpline can guide you on the procedure, and I think that you might have to use a tamper reset voucher supplied by them.

Gemini PLC (with PLC CIU Mk3) (38).pdf

6 hours ago, YellowTapemeasure said:

You may end up having to log a call, depending on accessibility. Maybe CoC helpline can guide you on the procedure, and I think that you might have to use a tamper reset voucher supplied by them.

It looks like the meter from this attached manual will allow back-feed up to 50Wh as long as it’s not continuous otherwise it will flag a reverse condition. The 50Wh is quite a lot of room when it comes to spikes that will probably only last a few seconds. It does not say it will trip but mention the reverse flag condition and the credits will continue to decrease even in reverse. Page 23.

1 hour ago, Gerrie said:

It looks like the meter from this attached manual will allow back-feed up to 50Wh as long as it’s not continuous otherwise it will flag a reverse condition. The 50Wh is quite a lot of room when it comes to spikes that will probably only last a few seconds. It does not say it will trip but mention the reverse flag condition and the credits will continue to decrease even in reverse. Page 23.

Yes, I have heard anecdotal stories that it continues to decrease units when you pump them to the grid. I have also picked up from the stats that I do push a few electrons that way every now and then (even though the Sunsynk is set to draw 0), but it has never tripped.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
43 minutes ago, Leshen said:

Select limit to load but then PV will not power non essentials. 

I will test this when I am at home with full sun.

I can get the excess PV to power non-essential, however, if all load (essential + non) is in excess of PV production, it starts to draw from the battery. I don't want this. I want it to draw from the grid.

Also, what happens, when all load (essential and non) is in excess of the capacity of the Sunsynk unit? ie, load = 8kva (geyser, pool, washing machines, dishwasher ect... ) will it trip out, or start to draw from the grid directly?

When I did some tests, It seemed the load was supplemented by the grid, but the inverter was running at 8kva?? I only have a 5Kva unit, so is this just a display/reporting misrepresentation, or am I maxing out the inverter? 

5 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I will test this when I am at home with full sun.

I can get the excess PV to power non-essential, however, if all load (essential + non) is in excess of PV production, it starts to draw from the battery. I don't want this. I want it to draw from the grid.

Also, what happens, when all load (essential and non) is in excess of the capacity of the Sunsynk unit? ie, load = 8kva (geyser, pool, washing machines, dishwasher ect... ) will it trip out, or start to draw from the grid directly?

When I did some tests, It seemed the load was supplemented by the grid, but the inverter was running at 8kva?? I only have a 5Kva unit, so is this just a display/reporting misrepresentation, or am I maxing out the inverter? 

Give me a call on 0832260164 and I’ll explain 

• 2 weeks later...