Adding Geyser To Inverter Circuit.

You can calculate it. 1.16wh per degree centigrade per liter. So as a rough example, a 150 liter tank that has to go from 15c to 55c will need almost 8kwh. A 1kw element will need 8 hours to  do that. Plus there is a standing loss of around 2kwh a day, so every day it will spend 2 hours just treading water. It depends mostly on your actual daily hot water requirements.

Maintaining water temperatures of between 20-50 deg C is a breeding ground for  Legionnaires’ disease.

Keep cold water below 20C, and hot water should be delivered in the tap at above 50C.

Geyser temperatures should be set at a minimum of 60C, and maintain that for 30 min before use or every 3 days minimum if in tank.

So watch yourselves with the down-rated elements and the incomplete heating cycles.

28 minutes ago, seant said:

Traces of Legionnaires disease will still survive at 60°C

Googling gives a variance of numbers, it appears the WHO recommends a 60C thermostat setting.

The purpose is to let people know that around 25-45C a half-heated geyser poses a health risk, which is what people might be unwittingly doing with their excess PV generation.

• 1 year later...
On 2016/09/17 at 10:41 AM, Chris Hobson said:

My solution was a twin port plate also for Kwikot geyser  and 2x 1500W elements which are reasonably easy to source.

20160123_084111.jpg

Addition: When the photo was taken I had a 1kW and a 1.5kW elements now we have two 1.5kW elements.

Do kwikot sell twin port plates as an off the shelf part or it this something custom made/sourced?

• 6 months later...
On 2016/11/06 at 12:37 PM, viper_za said:

Mine used to have a 3kw element. Replaced this with a 1kw and been heating with my PV :)

Do I have to drain the water from the geyser before replacing the element? I want to change mine too and heat the water through out the day 🙂

I just did this on my system. My element is 3.5kW which isnt great but the it's timed to run only when I'm sleeping. I would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking about it as now I don't need to keep resetting my GeyserWise settings every time there's load shedding. 

On 2020/02/13 at 2:19 PM, mmacleod said:

Do kwikot sell twin port plates as an off the shelf part or it this something custom made/sourced?

Would also like to know this. Currently have a 3kw element and this is on the grid. Do have spare capacity so thinking of going this route as well and installing a 1,5kw or 1kw element with a breaker on the inverter circuit for utilizing the spare solar power. 

On 2020/09/15 at 3:26 PM, Tsa said:

Would also like to know this. Currently have a 3kw element and this is on the grid. Do have spare capacity so thinking of going this route as well and installing a 1,5kw or 1kw element with a breaker on the inverter circuit for utilizing the spare solar power. 

I was never able to track down an off the shelf part for this, so I'm pretty sure whats in the photo there is a custom made part.
The best option for two elements seems to be to just add an additional pre-feed geyser or similar