Passthrough on Sunsynk Hybrid Inverter

Mark M

40 minutes ago, LouisRamsey1 said:

Ok so you have set your 8800 invertor at 8000 which is default. now take your max discharge current on the Sunsynk 8.8 spec sheet is 185 and I know this because I can not set mine to more then that. At nominal voltage mine being 52v this equates to 9620 Watts .In your example you still within spec. When you go over that it will simply switch over to grid and this is now passthrough. Again that's why I need to see it I will do the test myself with ae purely resoative loads and then report.I have a master slave setup so I need to hit over 20kw

Can you not just switch the slave off, and then test on one inverter only.

But you need to upgrade your fuses to 220A, or else you'll blow the 160A if you run this test.

Let us know the outcome of you're testing.🤔

4 minutes ago, TimCam said:

Can you not just switch the slave off, and then test on one inverter only.

But you need to upgrade your fuses to 220A, or else you'll blow the 160A if you run this test.

Let us know the outcome of you're testing.🤔

The problem is the fuse disconnectors are rated 160amp as well and the next size up requires a higher rated holder to accommodate the higher rated fuses but I will figure something out. I feel that Sunsynk have an obligation to provide a quick video that is clear on this because when I look at this forum there seems to be confusion. I could be wrong but people need clarity me included

4 minutes ago, LouisRamsey1 said:

The problem is the fuse disconnectors are rated 160amp as well and the next size up requires a higher rated holder to accommodate the higher rated fuses but I will figure something out. I feel that Sunsynk have an obligation to provide a quick video that is clear on this because when I look at this forum there seems to be confusion. I could be wrong but people need clarity me included

Could use a Victron in line fuse

Just on a different note, I see thee max sell power tops out at 9600W, and the max solar power tops out at 12000W. So on good days those with enough panels can push +- 80 kWh back into the grid, if you have the right meter. 😲😀

Edited by TimCam

8 hours ago, LouisRamsey1 said:

The batteries here are capable of an 800amp  continuous discharge but the fuses are rated 160 for each battery and the fupacts don't go over that so will be a challenge not to blow fuses

Each inverter can only charge or discharge to a max of 185A. Why don't you just set the max charge and discharge to 160A so you don't blow the fuses. 

When you go to Inverter on and you're hooked up to shore power it uses the built-in transfer switch to pass the AC shore power through to your connected outlets, bypassing the inverter part altogether. Excess amperage is used to charge the batteries. That is unless you have the Power Assist turned on. That's a Victron answer .  Sounds very much like a bypass and Power Assist sounds very much like peak shaving.

On 2021/12/14 at 10:53 AM, Leshen said:

What exactly are you unclear about? There is no 90A passthrough on the Sunsynk. It's 50A on the 8kw and 35A on the 5kw. The 90A was a typo that has been recently corrected for the SA market. 90A was printed and correct for the 110V market. 

In the scenario of the 9200W load that is blended between PV, battery and grid. What would happen if PV drops away due to clouds and perhaps battery also drops to below minimum set point? 🧐

Would the entire 9200W come from grid without tripping the inverter?Than  to throw in another condition, if charging from grid is also ticked it could be an additional draw from grid together with the 9200W load. 

I’m also trying to understand the built in rationale of the 50A passthrough.

12 hours ago, Gerrie said:

In the scenario of the 9200W load that is blended between PV, battery and grid. What would happen if PV drops away due to clouds and perhaps battery also drops to below minimum set point? 🧐

Would the entire 9200W come from grid without tripping the inverter?Than  to throw in another condition, if charging from grid is also ticked it could be an additional draw from grid together with the 9200W load. 

I’m also trying to understand the built in rationale of the 50A passthrough.

Correct. The entire amount will be take from the grid up to a max of 50A and yes you can simultaneously charge the battery bank from the grid provided you don't go over 63A which is your main breaker rating. 

• 1 year later...
On 2021/12/13 at 10:16 AM, maxxis said:

That's the input I'm looking for. 

My question was: 

I have the 5K with 2 x AM2s 

Whole house is on essential except for the geyser. We have gas for everything that would traditionally draw heavy loads. 

What happens when my house needs 7kwh at a time during the day where my PV and grid is available? A Saturday comes to mind where the lawnmower will be used off of the essential plugs. (I do have a non-essential plug outside that can always be used.)

Am I limited to a max draw of 5kwh at all times on the essential circuits? From the above I can peak for prolonged times at max 8kw? Will this have a negative impact on the inverter over the long run? 

Hi,

It does not seem like this question above was answered in this thread.

I have the same question, a bit more simplified though.

5.5 Sunsynk Inverter. 5kw Freedom Won Battery

What will happen in the following situations:

1. Grid is up - Essentials plus non-essentials shows AC Load is 7KW? Exceeds 5.5KW.

2. Grid is up - Non Essentials exceeds 5.5kw?

3. Grid is down - Non-Essentials exceeds 5.5KW?

2 hours ago, Vincentv said:

Hi,

It does not seem like this question above was answered in this thread.

I have the same question, a bit more simplified though.

5.5 Sunsynk Inverter. 5kw Freedom Won Battery

1. Grid is up - Essentials plus non-essentials shows AC Load is 7KW? Exceeds 5.5KW.

2. Grid is up - Non Essentials exceeds 5.5kw?

3. Grid is down - Non-Essentials exceeds 5.5KW?

1. Grid is up - Essentials plus non-essentials shows AC Load is 7KW? Exceeds 5.5KW. - 7kw is at the limit of the passthrough (35A), anything above will trip inverter and house if the 7kw is on the essentials. Non-essentials do not pass through the inverter 

2. Grid is up - Non Essentials exceeds 5.5kw? - no issue

3. Grid is down - Non-Essentials exceeds 5.5KW? - if grid is down then non-essentials are unavailable - there will be no non-ess load

23 hours ago, mzezman said:

1. Grid is up - Essentials plus non-essentials shows AC Load is 7KW? Exceeds 5.5KW. - 7kw is at the limit of the passthrough (35A), anything above will trip inverter and house if the 7kw is on the essentials. Non-essentials do not pass through the inverter 

2. Grid is up - Non Essentials exceeds 5.5kw? - no issue

3. Grid is down - Non-Essentials exceeds 5.5KW? - if grid is down then non-essentials are unavailable - there will be no non-ess load

Thanks so much.

Non-essentials do not pass through the inverter - So, even if the inverter shows AC load is 7KW, this is actually misleading as some of the 7KW is non-essential and not running through the inverter? I know some of the 7KW was the electric oven.

I am considering adding another 5KW battery and adding the rest of the lines/plugs to the essentials except for the solar geysers and aircons as I am generating a lot more energy with the solar panels than I can use during the day. The stove is gas, but not the oven and will be added to the essentials.

1. Grid is up - Essentials exceed 5.5KW or actually over 7KW, then inverter will trip.

2. Grid is down - Essentials exceed 5.5KW or actually over 7KW, then inverter will trip.

Is is OK if the inverter trips? Does it cause any damage or do I just reset it and continue on?

1 hour ago, Vincentv said:

Thanks so much.

Non-essentials do not pass through the inverter - So, even if the inverter shows AC load is 7KW, this is actually misleading as some of the 7KW is non-essential and not running through the inverter? I know some of the 7KW was the electric oven.

I am considering adding another 5KW battery and adding the rest of the lines/plugs to the essentials except for the solar geysers and aircons as I am generating a lot more energy with the solar panels than I can use during the day. The stove is gas, but not the oven and will be added to the essentials.

1. Grid is up - Essentials exceed 5.5KW or actually over 7KW, then inverter will trip.

2. Grid is down - Essentials exceed 5.5KW or actually over 7KW, then inverter will trip.

Is is OK if the inverter trips? Does it cause any damage or do I just reset it and continue on?

2. Grid is down - essentials exceed 5.5kw the inverter will trip

Its not great if it trips but it is designed to do that. it reboots itself once things have calmed down. 

• 4 months later...
On 2021/05/25 at 12:42 PM, Bernardf said:

Just to be clear, you can't run more than the inverter's rated power (5,500W) on appliances that are on the essential loads output.  If you have stuff connected before the inverter (aka non-essential), and your CT is correctly installed, the inverter will show this as a load on its screen.  For instance if you have a kettle on an essential plug circuit pulling 2kW, and a geyser + stove that is on the non-essential side pulling 5kW, the inverter will show a load of 7kW, and the inverter will have no problem with this.  But if you try to pull more than 5.5kW on the essential side, the inverter will trip with the 'AC overload' error, and reset itself, even if Eskom power is on.

But there is limit on the essential side whilst there is eskom? So you are saying the inverter will display essentials (max 5kw) plus max essential? What would happen if you exceed the Eskom essential side? 

1 hour ago, Solarcrazy said:

But there is limit on the essential side whilst there is eskom? So you are saying the inverter will display essentials (max 5kw) plus max essential? What would happen if you exceed the Eskom essential side? 

The limit while Eskom is around on the 5kw is about 7.5kw... This limit is to the essentials btw. If exceeded inverter will trip with AC overcurrent and restart after about 45-60 seconds 

12 minutes ago, mzezman said:

The limit while Eskom is around on the 5kw is about 7.5kw... This limit is to the essentials btw. If exceeded inverter will trip with AC overcurrent and restart after about 45-60 

So what then is the limit for the non essential whilst on Eskom? 

So what then is the limit for the non essential whilst on Eskom? 

It's limited by the rating of your MCB. You could run say 7kw via the inverter in pass through then still have another 7kw on the non-ess if your MCB can handle it. 

Don't you want your breaker to trip if there is an issue of over drawing.. 32A is 7kw and 40A is 8.8kw..

Well as a rule, I tell users to not draw more than 5kw on the essential side anyway. I don’t think it’s great practice to regularly use the pass through feature.