Which inverter? Looking for some guidance.

PsyCLown

On 2021/05/27 at 3:58 PM, PsyCLown said:

Hey all!

So I am wanting to get a solar setup as my electricity usage is quite high and it is hard to justify paying Eskom a large portion of money each month when I could go solar and reduce my Eskom bill significantly and have power for the essentials during load shedding or power outages.

I would look at installing the solar system towards the end of the year, so I am now wanting to do some research and get a better understanding of how everything works, what are good brands and so forth.

I am looking at 8KW to 10KW for an inverter, the house is single phase so any 3 phase inverters are out of the question.

I would like an inverter which is hybrid I believe - so runs off the solar panels, will draw extra power from the Eskom grid if the solar panels are unable to provide sufficient power and then have a battery to keep the essentials running off the battery during power outages and when the sun is not shining.

From what I have read, a hybrid inverter will be able to do this and they typically have 2 "outputs" which we could refer to as "essentials" and "non essentials" and this is tied to the battery, anything on non essentials will not be powered by the batteries and anything on essentials will be powered by the batteries.

Both essentials and non essentials will get power from the solar panels and the inverter will take power from the Eskom grid if the panels are unable to provide sufficient power (or when the sun goes down, but Eskom is gracing us with power).

I have seen some people struggling with certain brands of inverters or there being issues and requiring fixes or tweaks, firmware updates etc. I do not want to struggle and have hassles, I would like the equipment to work as it should.

So with that being said, what are some makes / brands which would be good and worth looking into and would suit my requirements? I feel it makes sense to start with the inverter and then can look into the panels and batteries later on.

If you're based in Cape Town, just make sure you select an inverter that's on the current list of approved devices from CoCT. 

45 minutes ago, Pietpower said:

This one sounds like a good option. Wish it was available when I installed.

Could keep everything on the essential side and just maintain the max load to below 8kW. Think my max is in any case below 7kW

And this should be able to blend battery, PV, and Grid ???

Correct. It blends seamlessly between the available energy sources. 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Krokkedil said:

The MPPT on the inverter can handle 6000w at max 500v and max 11A. If you use a JA solar 540w panel with the VOC of 49.9v and the max amp of 13A you are over the Amperage specification. but if you use the JA solar 465w panel you have a a VOC of 50.1V and a max 10.96A. But because the system can handle 6kw 6000/465=12.9 or 13.

13 divided/ 2 gives you an unbalanced string, therefore you must either run 2x6 or 2x7 465x14=6510w

What is the impact of having an 2 strings (7,6) that differ on the 2 available MPPT inputs, 1 for each input?

Edited by FixAMess

22 hours ago, Krokkedil said:

The MPPT on the inverter can handle 6000w at max 500v and max 11A.

According to @Leshen, with the latest firmware update the 5kW Sunsynk can take up 13A per MPPT. Not sure what impact that has on total kW that the MPPTs can combined handle

13 minutes ago, FixAMess said:

What is the impact of having an 2 strings (7,6) that differ on the 2 available MPPT inputs, 1 for each input?

None. Each is a separate MPPT. It simply means that one MPPT will be producing slightly more than the other one

8 minutes ago, wolfandy said:

According to @Leshen, with the latest firmware update the 5kW Sunsynk can take up 13A per MPPT. Not sure what impact that has on total kW that the MPPTs can combined handle

Hi Andy. 

Combined of 6500w so no change there. They just increased the MPPT to 13A to make it more versatile.