solar pallet buy share..

Fritz

14 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Reasoning behind micro inverters

I like the idea. The only problem they have is they can't grid-limit. If you have a dumb prepaid meter, or the Conlog BEC23 that trips, you can't really use these. The one feature that will solve this problem immediately is if one of these were to support at least GFPR, or even better, some protocol and a base station to control them, a bit like the Enphase Envoy system which uses power-line comms (though bluetooth might be an option... one would have to consider security implications of course).

If it supports at least GFPR, you can combine them with a small multiplus to make an island system.

At the moment they are only an option to people with old-style meters.

IF / when I go grid tie, meter will be replaced with all the T's and I's dotted and crossed. Not because I am a stickler for rules, nope, it is to ensure when things go wrong, that no-one can point and say: WHO let the smoke (dogs) out ... where is TTT? :D

Sad news. I cannot go micro inverters legally. SMA has one that is awesome, not approved yet.

&#(*$% ... never can I get what I want ... legally.

8 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

meter will be replaced with all the T's and I's dotted and crossed

Same plan really. Which is why I am first overhauling my system to include the required anti-islanding, so I know that when I start testing the hub-4 grid-limiter setup it will be safe. If it works, I need to do the SSEG bit. That's a beast as well, the hardest part of that seems to be finding someone to sign off on the compliance of the setup. Apparently you need a registered professional engineer to sign the paperwork saying that the anti-islanding works as well as it says on the box. Now those kinds of engineers generally don't come cheap, and most of the ones I know didn't bother with the certification as it costs a whole lot of money, opens you up to legal ramifications (you can be sued), and doesn't really open that many additional doors.

So once that is done, then I'll see about expanding into GTI or something. Step by step, don't have the money to go all Nike on this. Funny how the R400 connection fee has stopped bothering me. It suddenly seems perfectly reasonable to pay R400 a month for "a battery" :-)

(and we derailed a thread again :-) ).

Any progress on this?

I did the 1000km, 13 hour trip today to collect my share of the first pallet. I asked the company how long they plan to run the Special. The said that depending on the economy, till end of October, maybe a bit longer.

So we still have some time.

Who will be in charge of driving the new pallet? @DeepBass9 or @KLEVA?

4 hours ago, PaulF007 said:

So what is the totals now? 

As I have it:

DB9 - 3

Kleva - 6

Jaco - 1

Fritz -1

PaulF007 - 3

ibiza - 12

@DeepBass9, @Jaco de Jongh, @Fritz - Please confirm.

My budget is tight, so if there is still interest I can spare 3 later, but if the above values are all good, then we can contact them to make arrangement. Just need someone to give us the contact info (Jaco/Fritz?).

18 hours ago, DeepBass9 said:

When do you want to pay for  the order? I need a week or so to come,up with so moolah, but I'm good for 3 panels.

\

Who is going to be driving this process? Who lives in GP close to the supplier?

I can do it. I live in JHB

35 minutes ago, ibiza said:

what brand are they?

Sorry, the brand is Enersol. 

Here's the specs:

Technical Specifications
General characteristics
 • Cell - Polycrystalline solar cell 156 x 156mm.
 • No. of Cells (Connections) - 60(6x10).
 • Panel Dimensions - 1640 x 990 x 40mm.
 • Weight - 19.0kg.
 • Connectors and Cables - Connectors and 1m cables.

Thermal conditions
 • Normal Operating Cell Temperature 800W/m² Irradiance, 20˚C, AM = 1.5 - 48˚C ± 2˚C.
 • Power Temperature Coefficient - (-) 0.5%/K.
 • Current Temperature Coefficient - 0.035%/K.
 • Voltage Temperature Coefficient - (-) 0.37 MV/K.

Electric performance at STC* (Standard Test Conditions: 1000W/m² irradiance, 25˚C and AM = 1.5)
 • Maximum Power - 255W.
 • Power Tolerance - 0/+5Wp.
 • Maximum Power Voltage - 30.4V.
 • Module efficiency - 15.7%.
 • Maximum Power Current - 8.39A.
 • Open Circuit Voltage - 37.5V.
 • Short Circuit Current - 8.86A.

As the purchase of the second pallet is going slow ( if is going at all) I've decided to withdraw from the group buy. Will take panels from Silver as panels the offering are the same specks as my existing panels. Apologies to everyone in the group.

5 hours ago, PaulF007 said:

@SilverNodashi any chance you have 260w? or what is the rest of you guys feeling , I have 9 x 260w Yingli panels will the 255w pull the rest down significantly? Considering that there is only a 5w difference..

@PaulF007, please post your panels specs, i.e. Voc, Isc, etc so we can compare them.In theory you might loose 5W per panel. Or slightly more, or less.

But if you have / had two MPPT trackers, you could put different PV groups on different MPPT trackers.

Hi it seems as if the specs checks out. Mine is on the left

Maximum Power - 255W.                                    Maximum 260W = My Specks                    
 • Power Tolerance - 0/+5Wp.                               0/+5
 • Maximum Power Voltage - 30.4V.                       30.3v
 • Module efficiency - 15.7%.                                 16|%
 • Maximum Power Current - 8.39A.                        8.59
 • Open Circuit Voltage - 37.5V.                              37.7   
 • Short Circuit Current - 8.86A.                               9.09

10 hours ago, PaulF007 said:

@SilverNodashi any chance you have 260w? or what is the rest of you guys feeling , I have 9 x 260w Yingli panels will the 255w pull the rest down significantly? Considering that there is only a 5w difference..

There's no 260W in stock. 260W isn't very popular so they don't generally bring them in, unless someone has a special order / need for 260W and there's some left.