Latest version of ICC?

39 minutes ago, Dexitt said:

I just got a message about the latest version of ICC.  It seems so much has changed that they even changed the name to SMH.

You'll find a number of posts here on the forum on the history of ICC including the apparent split of ICC, which resulted in 2 'branches' (for a lack of a better word) of ICC. It seems that one of them has now renamed itself to SMH while the other one continues as ICC

3 minutes ago, wolfandy said:

You'll find a number of posts here on the forum on the history of ICC including the apparent split of ICC, which resulted in 2 'branches' (for a lack of a better word) of ICC. It seems that one of them has now renamed itself to SMH while the other one continues as ICC

Aah ok, thanks for that.  What do you think of the features offered by SMH though?  I have been using ICC for a while, but compared to everything SMH has to offer it makes ICC look old and outdated.

20 minutes ago, Dexitt said:

What do you think of the features offered by SMH though?  I have been using ICC for a while, but compared to everything SMH has to offer it makes ICC look old and outdated.

I can't really comment on that.

I've been using the other 'branch' of ICC (that is still called ICC) since I purchased it back in 2019 and the software received a number of upgrades and new features since then. I obviously have no idea what updates have been made to the other 'branch' since the split and how the updates now as SMH compare.

I upgraded my system last week and am no longer using ICC, so I did not read in detail through the SMH announcement.

True, but if you look at everything on offer, all the cloud services used, the fact that they offer dedicated support, etc etc, I can't think how they can keep paying for development, all those monthly expenses and more with a single purchase.

I would also like them to be there to support me in a few years, so to me R49.99 is nothing to pay for what I get.  Besides, one mcDonalds burger is more than R50 already, so to me they are charging far less than what I would have charged if it was my product.

Another important thing is that SMH don't charge ANYTHING for the upgrade, so my initial purchase is not lost.  When I went over to "the other branch" I was told to buy a new license and re-image my pi, etc, so I lost double.  At least now I get the latest version for free and just pay the R49.99 subscription.  Sounds like a win to me.

17 minutes ago, GreenMan said:

"There will be a R49.99 subscription per month".

I personally do not believe in subscriptions for software. Maybe I am too oldschool, but somehow this does not feel right to me

8 minutes ago, Dexitt said:

all the cloud services used

Agree that there probably is a cost involved for that - but I would want to be given the choice to decide if I really need this. I was running ICC on my local Pi and using RealVNC (which comes free with the Pi OS) to remotely log into my Pi and view/access ICC. Under this setup I did not have the need for a cloud service and hence would not be willing to pay for it

7 minutes ago, Dexitt said:

At least now I get the latest version for free and just pay the R49.99 subscription

Depending on how long you are planning on using the software (I used mine for more than 2 years and am hoping that my new system will last me for 10 years), I am expecting you will end up paying much more this way than for buying a license

6 minutes ago, wolfandy said:

I personally do not believe in subscriptions for software. Maybe I am too oldschool, but somehow this does not feel right to me

Agree that there probably is a cost involved for that - but I would want to be given the choice to decide if I really need this. I was running ICC on my local Pi and using RealVNC (which comes free with the Pi OS) to remotely log into my Pi and view/access ICC. Under this setup I did not have the need for a cloud service and hence would not be willing to pay for it

Depending on how long you are planning on using the software (I used mine for more than 2 years and am hoping that my new system will last me for 10 years), I am expecting you will end up paying much more this way than for buying a license

Well i suppose thats why a free trial is offered as well.  You can decide if what you are seeing is worth paying for before making any commitment.

For your 10 year system, do you expect software updates, new features, support people to call, unlimited cloud storage (and all the other amazing things mentioned in the document for that matter) for free during that period?

I get that you are using a different system now, but place yourself in the shoes of an axpert user.

As much as I like free stuff, i also understand that all of the above costs money to make and that everyone has to eat, something that will definitely not happen for 10 years with a once off purchase.. 

If it was R500 a month I would question the value, but come on, a solar system costs hundreds of thousands of rands and you can't afford R50 a month?  One callout from a reputable installer is close to (if not more than) the subscription for a year.

My 0.02c 😉

It seems as if SMH works locally without the subscription. It looks like the cloud services and support require the subscription, which I believe is fair.

Please correct me if I am missing something.

12 hours ago, Sparky128 said:

It seems as if SMH works locally without the subscription. It looks like the cloud services and support require the subscription, which I believe is fair.

Please correct me if I am missing something.

Absolutely correct yes, plus you also get a free 14 dae trial period to test the software before committing to anything.  I must say, I am truly impressed by what I have experienced thus far, so I will definitely be signing up!

Just want to throw my hat into the ring.

I have been using ICC since April 2017.

It was/is full of bugs, and many upgrades resulted in me having to downgrade to previous versions to have a running system.

Had to write my own script files to keep the system running reliably, and eventually just stuck with an old version 2.5.3 which at least gave me basic functionality.

Yesterday I decided to bite the bullet, and try and upgrade to see if anything has changed for the better, only to find out that I had to buy a new license to upgrade.

I enquired if I could then at least get the latest version on my old license, i.e. version 2.9, only to be told they do not supply old versions.

Being my sarcastic self, I thanked them for their great customer support, and probably got what I deserved. See below conversation.

ICC: We don't supply old versions

Me: Great customer support I must say.

ICC: Agree !! Awesome thanks for the complement !

Taking all of the above into consideration, I will be happy to give SMH a go. If anything, it might just be an improvement.

10 minutes ago, Piet Pompies said:

It was/is full of bugs, and many upgrades resulted in me having to downgrade to previous versions to have a running system.

Had to write my own script files to keep the system running reliably, and eventually just stuck with an old version 2.5.3 which at least gave me basic functionality.

Yesterday I decided to bite the bullet, and try and upgrade to see if anything has changed for the better, only to find out that I had to buy a new license to upgrade.

I enquired if I could then at least get the latest version on my old license, i.e. version 2.9, only to be told they do not supply old versions.

As it is difficult to distinguish between the 2 'branches' of ICC (as they both continued to use the same name), maybe just point out which one it was

I was running stable on v4.3 with great support by the 'branch' still called ICC

16 minutes ago, wolfandy said:

As it is difficult to distinguish between the 2 'branches' of ICC (as they both continued to use the same name), maybe just point out which one it was

I was running stable on v4.3 with great support by the 'branch' still called ICC

I am using the "original" ICC branch developed by Manie. 

Be that as it may, it just irked me that they were not willing to supply me the latest version I was entitled to under my existing license.

Gnome, You might be be correct, but I have  been a member since June 7, 2018. I learned to keep quiet if I did not have something positive to say. Now I have something to say. The SMH version IS an major upgrade.  ICC under-reports on my system, is unstable and hogs my PI's cpu. This is a stark contrast to my experience with SMH for now..

I have yet to contact there support (as I have not needed to), so I can't comment there, But the software runs great.

17 hours ago, Gnome said:

What is with all these 1 post wonders suddenly coming onto the forum praising this new "product", I have to say it looks like advertising by a business

You got me Gnome. I will have to pay back the kickbacks I received from SMH. 🤑

On 2021/06/05 at 9:54 AM, Piet Pompies said:

I am using the "original" ICC branch developed by Manie. 

Be that as it may, it just irked me that they were not willing to supply me the latest version I was entitled to under my existing license.

The issue I have is that all of a sudden the VNC subscription services for Centurion Solar Branch has expired. We are being forced to go the subscription route now to be able to support all our installations. The alternative is to reconfigure the vnc on each Pi to point to your own VNC account.. So I would rather upgrade to the stable version of Manies, the true ICC version even if I have to supply all my clients a new Pi 4. I am sure I can do a deal with Manie. I don't like surprises, and this was the last straw from Centurion. Besides, their attitude is unbecoming.

3 minutes ago, Cozy35 said:

even if I have to supply all my clients a new Pi 4

I would assume that you can keep the Pi hardware, just purchase the new license(s), and flash a new image to the MicroSD card

1 hour ago, Cozy35 said:

The issue I have is that all of a sudden the VNC subscription services for Centurion Solar Branch has expired. We are being forced to go the subscription route now to be able to support all our installations. The alternative is to reconfigure the vnc on each Pi to point to your own VNC account.. So I would rather upgrade to the stable version of Manies, the true ICC version even if I have to supply all my clients a new Pi 4. I am sure I can do a deal with Manie. I don't like surprises, and this was the last straw from Centurion. Besides, their attitude is unbecoming.

Spoke to them this morning, there is a global problem with professional teams showing expired, so nothing to do with them, but to each his own. I have upgraded and can finally see the true performance of my system.  Until VNC is resolved I am failing over to Anydesk. They even helped with a template for my home assistant, just look at this (to be configured):

HA.thumb.png.3728442731cdcde0abe7a73461db7fec.png

PS, I was dealing with Manie's version of ICC, and have heard that it was never even his software to begin with.  Word on the street has it that he blackmailed the original coder into stealing the source code, something for which there is an ongoing court case at the moment.  Anyway, not my circus, not my monkeys. At least I can actually CALL someone with technical knowledge at Centurion, and is not forced to email a query and wait until someone decides to send a one line answer. 

But let's keep the "them and they" discussions for other topics.  I posted this topic to ask if anyone has seen the new software and what they think of it, regardless of who made it and what the politics are behind it, let's not have a mud fight on behalf of someone else.  I can only imagine that part of the reason the new software was written was to get away from all of this crap in the first place. Time will tell..

1 hour ago, wolfandy said:

even if I have to supply all my clients a new Pi 4

I didn't even have to do that, I simply had my existing pi3 (bought from Centurion) upgraded with the new software.  I have another Pi4 at my mom's house (bought from Manie) which has has been upgraded too (all done online), so no need for fancy re-flashing the SD card (I don't even know how to do that), or even being forced to purchase a new license for either of them.  As they explained, I already paid for the software, regardless of who it was bought from, hence the upgrade is free.  Furthermore, they (Centurion) is willing to support me, even though my other Pi wasn't even bought from them, which in my mind speaks volumes about their integrity and commitment to their clients, regardless of the personal battles in the background.

14 minutes ago, Dexitt said:

As they explained, I already paid for the software, regardless of who it was bought from, hence the upgrade is free.

They are getting you to sign up for a subscription - so of course they will say that the 'upgrade' is free 😉

15 minutes ago, Dexitt said:

Furthermore, they (Centurion) is willing to support me, even though my other Pi wasn't even bought from them, which in my mind speaks volumes about their integrity and commitment to their clients, regardless of the personal battles in the background.

The Pi hardware and the license are 2 separate things (I had a Pi already and only bought the software license). And of course they will also be happy to assist you on that one - as they will get another subscription out of it

7 minutes ago, wolfandy said:

They are getting you to sign up for a subscription - so of course they will say that the 'upgrade' is free 😉

The Pi hardware and the license are 2 separate things (I had a Pi already and only bought the software license). And of course they will also be happy to assist you on that one - as they will get another subscription out of it

As pointed out earlier. If someone has 300k for a solar system, they should have R50 to manage it.  Hell, you can't even buy TEA at that price: https://www.woolworths.co.za/prod/Food/Food-Cupboard/Coffee-Tea-Hot-Drinks/Tea/Five-Roses-Smooth-Ceylon-Blend-Tagless-Tea-Bags-102-pk/_/A-6001156230253

Stop being Danville...  R50 is NOTHING today!