Latest version of ICC?

On 2021/06/03 at 1:28 PM, Dexitt said:

***shameless self-promotion snipped***

You'll find a number of posts here on the forum on the history of ICC including the apparent split of ICC, which resulted in 2 'branches' (for a lack of a better word) of ICC. It seems that one of them has now renamed itself to SMH while the other one continues as ICC

On 2021/06/03 at 2:18 PM, Dexitt said:

I can't really comment on that.

I've been using the other 'branch' of ICC (that is still called ICC) since I purchased it back in 2019 and the software received a number of upgrades and new features since then. I obviously have no idea what updates have been made to the other 'branch' since the split and how the updates now as SMH compare.

I upgraded my system last week and am no longer using ICC, so I did not read in detail through the SMH announcement.

On 2021/06/03 at 3:29 PM, GreenMan said:

"There will be a R49.99 subscription per month".

I personally do not believe in subscriptions for software. Maybe I am too oldschool, but somehow this does not feel right to me

On 2021/06/03 at 3:41 PM, Dexitt said:

Agree that there probably is a cost involved for that - but I would want to be given the choice to decide if I really need this. I was running ICC on my local Pi and using RealVNC (which comes free with the Pi OS) to remotely log into my Pi and view/access ICC. Under this setup I did not have the need for a cloud service and hence would not be willing to pay for it

On 2021/06/03 at 3:45 PM, Dexitt said:

Depending on how long you are planning on using the software (I used mine for more than 2 years and am hoping that my new system will last me for 10 years), I am expecting you will end up paying much more this way than for buying a license

On 2021/06/05 at 9:06 AM, Piet Pompies said:

***stuff that freeloading shills say***

As it is difficult to distinguish between the 2 'branches' of ICC (as they both continued to use the same name), maybe just point out which one it was

I was running stable on v4.3 with great support by the 'branch' still called ICC

On 2021/06/05 at 9:54 AM, Piet Pompies said:

***stuff that freeloading shills say***

The issue I have is that all of a sudden the VNC subscription services for Centurion Solar Branch has expired. We are being forced to go the subscription route now to be able to support all our installations. The alternative is to reconfigure the vnc on each Pi to point to your own VNC account.. So I would rather upgrade to the stable version of Manies, the true ICC version even if I have to supply all my clients a new Pi 4. I am sure I can do a deal with Manie. I don't like surprises, and this was the last straw from Centurion. Besides, their attitude is unbecoming.

3 minutes ago, Cozy35 said:

even if I have to supply all my clients a new Pi 4

I would assume that you can keep the Pi hardware, just purchase the new license(s), and flash a new image to the MicroSD card

On 2021/06/06 at 11:55 AM, Dexitt said:

***snipped***

They are getting you to sign up for a subscription - so of course they will say that the 'upgrade' is free¬†ūüėČ

On 2021/06/06 at 11:55 AM, Dexitt said:

***shameless freeloading self-promoting comment removed***

The Pi hardware and the license are 2 separate things (I had a Pi already and only bought the software license). And of course they will also be happy to assist you on that one - as they will get another subscription out of it

On 2021/06/06 at 12:36 PM, Dexitt said:

***obnoxious comment removed***

ūüėā

My point is about calling something 'free upgrade' when in fact you are signing up to a R50-per-month subscription...

Which - by the way - if you assume a 10-year life of your system, amounts to total R6k over that time.

As mentioned before, I am personally not a fan of subscription-based software. But that decision everyone has to make by him/herself.

A little earlier this evening, I started getting the VNC license expired message, thought "WTH!" and checked on the Centurion Solar Website to see if there was any news on this.

I was greeted with the SMH vs ICC info, and my first thought was "Cool, finally an upgrade which is hopefully less buggy than ICC." I started reading through the sneak preview document with enthusiasm until I saw it was now changing to a subscription model. Not so cool, as I've paid for my licence, and now must continue paying monthly.

I've since calmed down, and had a good think about it all.

I'd still like to know how much a non ICC user must pay for the software upfront before the subscription, because I'm not buying this "Free Upgrade". Right now it looks like you have to buy a Pi and ICC license before you can upgrade. Nothing on the site about having your own Pi, and just getting a SMH license. Comes across as dodgy AF. And if a new SMH user just needs to start paying the subscription, then there is nothing free about upgrading from ICC. How about a free 6 month SMH subscription for your existing clients. Goes a long way to showing you appreciate the business we have already given you, and, lets face it, if we're happy and hooked on the software after 6 months, you'll have us signing up for the subscription with no negative feelings, rather than the "WTH!" feelings I felt a bit earlier this evening.

On the other hand, I've really held off contacting Manie and paying (again) for his upgraded license, mainly because, IMHO, he's an asshole, and that same attitude oozes from his website, and also because I'm not convinced his later versions are that much better than the CS-ICC version I've been using.

On the other other hand, the feature list of SMH looks very impressive, and if it works as well as it claims, doesn't crash every day, or freeze up every time I VNC in, I could live with R50 a month.

In any case, I've registered for the upgrade to SMH, so let's see what Johan can do.

Going to be an interesting case in court.

I not 100% sure what ICC runs on but I assume that it is running on the Rasp Pi OS which falls under the GPL. 

My understanding is that as the ICC software is a derivative work of Open Source software, the ICC software will fall under the GPL license terms of Rasp Pi OS and is as such is open source. 

Interestingly, under the GPL the developers of derivative work are legally obliged to provide anyone who requests it the source code for their software. 

Details of the GPL are on https://www.fsf.org/ 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License

On 2021/06/06 at 10:18 PM, Sc00bs said:

Going to be an interesting case in court.

I not 100% sure what ICC runs on but I assume that it is running on the Rasp Pi OS which falls under the GPL. 

My understanding is that as the ICC software is a derivative work of Open Source software, the ICC software will fall under the GPL license terms of Rasp Pi OS and is as such is open source. 

Interestingly, under the GPL the developers of derivative work are legally obliged to provide anyone who requests it the source code for their software. 

Details of the GPL are on https://www.fsf.org/ 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License

No, only if they used the source code of a GNU related project themselves.

Also I can almost guarantee you that both ICC and this new app SMH have used code from either looking at how Voltronics own software is written or the various Voltronic based open source projects.  Hell they may even have straight up copied the code.

I don't have proof of this but the problems people complain of in ICC are pretty trivial problems to solve which leads me to believe the software developers for those projects aren't the "best" around.  ie. likely to have copied stuff and not bothered to test, fix, iterate

Edited by Gnome

On 2021/06/06 at 9:25 PM, viceroy said:

On the other hand, I've really held off contacting Manie and paying (again) for his upgraded license, mainly because, IMHO, he's an asshole, and that same attitude oozes from his website, and also because I'm not convinced his later versions are that much better than the CS-ICC version I've been using.

ūüėā¬†+1 got the same feeling.¬† Plus the messages I think he sent me directly threatening me not to dare to look at his source code or steal his IP or something like that.

***Snipped***

Mods: If you wish to promote a product or service on The Powerforum, then you should register as a commercial member, and then you are only allowed to promote it in the commercial section.

Wow, been using ICC since 2019 with very few problems, the Pi just sits there and works, but this software appears to be very much next level.

I know I'm a one post special coming out of the wood work, just the same I've put in an enquiry with SMH to see if I can get this in the other SA (South Australia)

Here's hoping.

Unfortunately ICC does not work on the Goodwe but I am still using it to monitor my batteries. I build my own dashboard using the Emoncms software from OpenEnergyMonitor.org - which is I think embedded in ICC.

Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 17.07.05.png

On 2021/06/14 at 5:12 PM, zs6sp said:

Emoncms software from OpenEnergyMonitor.org - which is I think embedded in ICC.

***snipped***

Commercial suppliers shall register with The Powerforum, pay their nominal subs, and advertise in the correct sections.