Batteries & their total cycles / lifespan

PsyCLown

10 hours ago, Vassen said:

Wow. This thread really went pear shaped for a while. Seems like every pylontech vs… ends up like that. 

Strange that Hubble went from a 10 year warranty, down to a 5 year and then back to 10 years. Any idea why this was the case. 

@LeshenAs far as I know, the pylontech US5000 has always been a 5 year warranty, so they haven’t really reduced. It was designed as such so I think it’s a bit unfair to state that they have reduced the warranty on this. 

Bottom line is every manufacturer has some conditions and many will try to get out of warranty replacement if the product was not used as intended. On the other side there are people that will buy 1 battery and expect it to do the job of 5. 

For me personally, Hubble is still very new. It may be a great battery but only time will tell. Pylontech has been in our market for far longer and there are many people using them. Some of them may have had issues. Which is normal. If we have to compare the number of pylons in the market, it will far exceed Hubble and bsl. After some time we will start hearing stories about Hubble and bsl too and people will be upset. 

I keep hearing about issues with the US3000C but maybe I’m just lucky as I have not had any, I started with 2 US3000, then added a US3000C and didnt experience and issues. Last week replaced the US3000 as I gave that to someone else and I now have 4 US3000C without any issues. I am planning to get 2 more for a total of 21Kwh of storage. Price wise, Hubble and BSL could not match the price vs capacity I’m getting with Pylontech. I don’t care about the 1C but rather about max storage. If one is on a tight budget, then sure the 1C makes a difference and then perhaps the Hubble will be fine. For how long, only time will tell. 

For me, pylontech is an established international brand. Pretty good chance they going to be around in 5 or 10 years to consider the warranty. Hubble is a local brand, how sure are we that they will still be around in 5 or 10 years… given the state of our country and the crap that we are forced to live with.  I’m not even sure I will be around here in 5 or 10 years. Batteries are a huge investment. A warranty means nothing if the company goes bust. That’s just my biggest concern when spending almost 100k on batteries. 

@Vassen I am not too concerned about Hubble being around in the next 10 or 20 years it is Local yes  and as far as I know they have roots and support of a company thats been around longer that Segen solar GC Solar and pylontech and other brands the positive aspect is that they offer good after sales service and they are continously developing new tech on their batteries and I support local cause its lekka..

1 hour ago, zathras said:

Thank you kindly for all the responses and advice everyone.

My main concern was that if my battery failed prematurely, my warranty would still be valid, based on the inverter-battery combination, so that I'm not drawing more than the C rating of the battery.

Having read some the Canberra battery test centre results, based on their torture testing, and with batteries being such a significant outlay, it's probably the part of my intended solar system I'm still pretty undecided on. https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/battery-test-centre-reports/

Regarding the pylontech batteries, @Vassenand other members, what are the advantages and disadvantages of 2 UP5000 Vs 3 US3000C? Do you get cabinets for the UP5000? Those are an additional cost to factor in.

I looked at the price comparison vs usable capacity a few weeks ago and the US3000C was cheaper, and had a longer warranty so for me it made sense to stick to the 3000C. 

2 hours ago, zathras said:

Good question, hadn't thought that much about all the implications of cycling. I would probably set it to a more conservative depth of discharge, e.g 30%, even if it meant switching back to grid at some point in the night. We'll see when the city of Joburg solar tariffs kick in. 

Installer should be coming out soon for site visit then will discussed installation locations with him. For now, the rooms I've earmarked as possibilities don't have extreme temperatures where the battery would be charging or discharging below zero or greater than 25 to 30 degree Celsius. But they aren't temperature controlled. The house is north facing with pink aerolite, so temperature doesn't get too extreme. No aircons needed in summer.

Great! The Pylontech warranty is very prescriptive around those things (amongst others), no more than 27 degrees Celsius.

2 hours ago, Vassen said:

I looked at the price comparison vs usable capacity a few weeks ago and the US3000C was cheaper, and had a longer warranty so for me it made sense to stick to the 3000C. 

Would love to see those price comparisons price per watt linked to warrany