Mix of Sun and Wind

LLTHB

Hello to all.

Ok, we are in the Karoo, lots of sun and lots of wind.

Currently we have a Goodwe 5kw unit, works a bomb. We have double the amount of panels that we should have and we manually turn them on and off as the sun moves, our house is in an H shape and is a solar collectors nightmare or a dream for us as we can now harvest sun from the east, the north and the west.

But we cannot add wind into our mix with the Goodwe.

We have been told to go Sunsynk as they are the only units that can be programmed to take wind as well as solar.

Our plan is to order 2 Sunsynk 5Kw units and run them in parallel. All so far is good and clear, we can move the old Goodwe to a new property we just purchased so incur no loss.

But now, and here I really need expert advice, I want to dedicate 3 of the 4 MPPTs to solar and one to wind.

Firstly is this doable, is it feasible???

How do we do it and where oh where can we get a wind gennie that will work in this layout.

So in my dreams I have sun in summer from 05h30 to 19h00. Wind comes up at 14h00 and blows to 24h00.

It is this wind that will be my addition, as with the new system I could just leave all the panels on all the time and not have to manually isolate them.

Even 2.4Kw of wind for 10 hours a day will add up to a lot of power. In summer we run 7 geysers and about 9 air cons at night.

Would be so nice to add the extra 24Kw of wind power.

Appreciate any advice and say thank you in advance.

Cheers. Howard.

Edited by LLTHB

28 minutes ago, LLTHB said:

Hello to all.

Currently we have a Goodwe 5kw unit, works a bomb. We have double the amount of panels that we should have and we manually turn them on and off as the sun moves, our house is in an H shape and is a solar collectors nightmare or a dream for us as we can now harvest sun from the east, the north and the west.

We have been told to go Sunsynk as they are the only units that can be programmed to take wind as well as solar.

Our plan is to order 2 Sunsynk 5Kw units and run them in parallel. All so far is good and clear, we can move the old Goodwe to a new property we just purchased so incur no loss.

But now, and here I really need expert advice, I want to dedicate 3 of the 4 MPPTs to solar and one to wind.

How do we do it and where oh where can we get a wind gennie that will work in this layout.

So in my dreams I have sun in summer from 05h30 to 19h00. Wind comes up at 14h00 and blows to 24h00.

It is this wind that will be my addition, as with the new system I could just leave all the panels on all the time and not have to manually isolate them.

Even 2.4Kw of wind for 10 hours a day will add up to a lot of power. In summer we run 7 geysers and about 9 air cons at night.

Cheers. Howard.

Interestingly enough, Keith Gough provided this snippet of wisdom one day ago: 200 volts and max 400 kW.

https://www.sunsynk.org/forum/techical-support/if-i-would-like-to-install-a-wind-turbine-on-my-sunsynk-5kw-inverter

Thanks YellowTapemeasure.

Ok, so those are the specs for the Sunsynk 5Kw unit - 200 volts and max 400 kW.

But now, where do I purchase this wind turbine - who stocks a reputable make, has experince with them etc.

Cheers. Howard.

I have just written to Sunsynk.

Hi Keith. Answer looks so simple, but it appears that more info is needed. I can source a 200v 4Kw unit, but it pumps out 22 amps. Can your unit handle the 22 amps in an MPPT?

Is it not possible for Sunsynk to say:
The following brands and model numbers of wind turbines will work with a Sunsynk 5Kw inverter:

Brand XYZ, Model AB1, Version 4

Brand FXS, Model 11

etc etc, you catch my drift.

We are not asking for a recommendation, just a simple what actually works and what does not work.

Thanks. Howard.

21 hours ago, LLTHB said:

Hello to all.

Cheers. Howard.

That can work but you can also use the aux for the wind turbine. It would then have its own micro inverter and be ac coupled on the aux input. The sunsynk MPPT is then not needed. 

• 3 months later...

Surely you can go external charge controller directly to the battery as there are 250V ones that can handle 4kW?  That would be a bit over 20A at 200V as you stated.

On 2021/06/08 at 8:12 PM, LLTHB said:

We have double the amount of panels that we should have and we manually turn them on and off as the sun moves,

Ok... I'm interested in this. I have half my panels facing east and mostly this works, but every now and then I get an overcast morning and a clear afternoon and I can lose out a bit. Plus if I had west facing panels I could take advantage of the PM sun and run a 2nd geyser. Simply switching from one string of panels to another hadn't occurred to me. 

Is it not possible to have a timer do the switching? Because I am lekker forgetful and can see myself switching from E to W one afternoon and then leaving things set that way and running out of battery the next morning.