Implications of City of Cape Town's Maximum Total Generation Capacity

Buchan

Question

Hi,

I am just another working-from-home computer professional trying to not lose too much productivity. I have decided to try and fund a whole-home UPS by adding solar, thus I am out of lurk-mode.

I am requesting quotes from a number of installers in Cape Town, based on my own assessment of my needs (~4kWh usable battery capacity, 5kVA inverter with PowerAssist or equivalent ability to supply max of 5kW during load-shedding or up to 10kW when Eskom is up, 4-5 kWp solar to pay this UPS off ASAP).

However, having read a lot, I was confused by the Table 1 in https://resource.capetown.gov.za/documentcentre/Documents/Procedures, guidelines and regulations/Requiremenst for Samll-Scale Embedded Generation.pdf

No.of Phases | Service Circuit Breaker Size |Maximum Total Generation Capacity (kVA)

1|40A|2,3

1|60A|3,5

1|80A|4,6

"Generation Capacity refers to the total output capacity of the generator. For PV systems in particular, this refers to the maximum output of the inverter as limited either by hardware,or by software settings. The system designer/installer will provide guidance here."

Thus far I'm looking at either Victon- or Sunsynk-based systems, initially with a capacity of about 5kW, but with the ability to expand later up to 8kW (if we need to be self-sufficient).

What is the implication here on:

1)Maximum solar generation while grid-tried. E.g., can I get to 5kWp solar, or is 4,6kW the maximum solar while grid-tied?
2)Expanding in future, e.g. having 2x 5kVA Multiplus IIs, or an 8kVA Sunsynk?

Is this permitted, assuming feed-in is disabled (requires a current sensor?) or limited by the inverter (and which models support this, and why isn't this indicated on the approved inverter list)? Or, must the inverter capacity not exceed 4,6kVA?

(I didn't find an answer to this question on this forum, or anywhere else, so if it is here, feel free to just answer on what I should be searching for.)

Thanks in advance.

1 answer to this question

There is a discussion about this somewhere. IRC, the limit refers to the feeding back into the grid. If you disable (by software) or hardware limit the feedback it may not exceed the figures you have quoted above. 

So a 8kW inverter is acceptable as long as you limit the grid feedback. There is a list of inverters which CT finds acceptable, the inverter youo chose must be on this list.

I'm sure more CT people will confirm/reply soon...