Growatt inverter spf 5000ES with dyness 2.4kw battery setup

TJ Human

Posted (edited)

I have to say this Growatt inverter seems a bit wonky when it comes to the output source priority setting?

It only seems to utilize full Solar when I'm running on SUB, if its SOL or SBU it seems to end up using Eskom more...that whole thing where my panels just cut off 🤨

My idea is to run on SBU/SOL and have the batteries only charge from SOL during non load shedding times, when there's load shedding I'd want it to run on SUB with charging from both panels & Eskom...

Edited by thoc

Posted (edited)

@thoc I'm afarid the blame belongs on you having too few panels and batteries to power your load.

Here is a screen shot of mine in the middle of winter in SOL mode. You can see that as soon as the back to ac point is reached the inverter stays on SOL mode until sunset.

Screenshot_20210709-190303_ShinePhone.jpg

Edited by Buyeye

Posted (edited)

I mean I've got 8 x 400WP panels and 2x 2.4kw batteries, what I find is if I turn off the Eskom breaker I can run all day on the solar panels alone and the battery jumps in from time to time, in this example I didnt have Eskom since about 3am, batteries carried me until around 8am where the panels picked up and charged my batteries while covering the house consumption etc:

image.thumb.png.ab5d90a8aeb825fca32d8ad2e61a6a5d.png

@Buyeye do you perhaps think its due to not running the batteries on the BMS yet? Still need to get around to disconnect them and get to Rectron etc so that I can use the Li setting 05. IE my voltage point to utility & battery mode is still default...

Edited by thoc

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, thoc said:

These gaps for example is where I tried running on SOL or SBU today:

Screenshot 2021-07-09 205404.png

That's strange... did you double check the firmware version on the inverter after updating? Cause sometimes it doesn't take...

What is your battery voltage doing while this is going on?

Edited by tetrasection

@thocI think you are correct by looking at the spikes in the 1st picture, they would have caused a voltage sag to switch you to bypass if your grid input was up. from both pictures your peak production is around 2500 watts and you have loads that peak over 3kw.

I agree that sorting out the bms communication might help the inverter use SOC instead of voltage to estimate battery SOC.

@tetrasection yeah the firmware did help, this used to happen while I would be in SUB as well, after the firmware upgrade that went away so I just assumed I might need another upgrade later when there's a new version. It doesnt really look like my voltage is doing anything if I understand the historic data from that day correctly, 11:55 to 12:00 in the attached spreadsheet is when one of the drops happen, this spreadsheet is from the growatt server, not sure if you or @Buyeye spot something out of that? It happens normally quite quickly after I make the change so i'll perhaps just monitor it directly on the inverter to be sure.

I barely follow what all these values mean 😆 had to quickly google what voltage sag is😛

About the Battery SOC stats, its quite inconsistent on the graphs as well, hopping around a lot, this is just quickly from today where I've only been on SUB:image.png.27550ebcb70282aa3dcb2c095aec90d0.png

Results.xlsx

@thocI believe that there is the reason, mine used to do this with my lead acid batteries. There is no way your batteries went from 100% to 25%. It looks like plain old voltage sag easily fixed with getting communication between bms and inverter.

8 hours ago, thoc said:

@tetrasection yeah the firmware did help, this used to happen while I would be in SUB as well, after the firmware upgrade that went away so I just assumed I might need another upgrade later when there's a new version. It doesnt really look like my voltage is doing anything if I understand the historic data from that day correctly, 11:55 to 12:00 in the attached spreadsheet is when one of the drops happen, this spreadsheet is from the growatt server, not sure if you or @Buyeye spot something out of that? It happens normally quite quickly after I make the change so i'll perhaps just monitor it directly on the inverter to be sure.

I barely follow what all these values mean 😆 had to quickly google what voltage sag is😛

About the Battery SOC stats, its quite inconsistent on the graphs as well, hopping around a lot, this is just quickly from today where I've only been on SUB:

Results.xlsx 9.66 kB · 0 downloads

What I meant about the firmware is that sometimes it says "update complete" or whatever but after restarting the inverter and checking the firmware version on the display it is actually still using the old firmware. So then you have to update it again. This only seems to happed with one of the two files.

What I noticed on the spreadsheet is that when "capacity" changes from 50 to 100, the "status" changes from "Combine charge and bypass" to "PV charge and bypass".

Does that mean once your battery is charged it switches to utility power?

If that's the case it seems likely that something in the settings is causing this behavior...

Edited by tetrasection

46 minutes ago, tetrasection said:

What I meant about the firmware is that sometimes it says "update complete" or whatever but after restarting the inverter and checking the firmware version on the display it is actually still using the old firmware. So then you have to update it again. This only seems to happed with one of the two files.

What I noticed on the spreadsheet is that when "capacity" changes from 50 to 100, the "status" changes from "Combine charge and bypass" to "PV charge and bypass".

Does that mean once your battery is charged it switches to utility power?

If that's the case it seems likely that something in the settings is causing this behavior...

It definitely felt like that a day or two, but i've not been able to completely confirm. I figured it might just be the inverter that still needs more work on the firmware side of things (Doublechecked, Im on 040.03/041.03 btw) because even when I had my charge source to SOL only, at night when my batteries "die" around 10:30pm it ended up charging from Utility for about an hour before I noticed, I had to reset SOL charge source again for it to stop...

And the morning after it looked like it used the panels to charge the batteries (fine) and also the Utility to power my house load, it was on SBU or SOL. I was hoping that it would charge and supply from panels...IE charge the batteries with the excess panel production that I'm not consuming?

I might be misunderstanding some of the principles, but my idea would be to try and avoid Utility as much as possible even if it means the batteries might take longer to charge during the day, and even discharge a little to assist in the load spikes..

Edited by thoc

Anyway I wanted to test it a bit more, using the batteries at night, and checking if it does drop the panel production completely just after my batteries are recharged the morning. It felt like that was the case a day or two in the mornings. But then this also occurs in the afternoons when my batteries are fully charged. 🤔

Edited by thoc

@thoc you have to play with your back to battery and back to ac settings. It's doesn't work as well when you are using voltage to estimate the SOC.

My settings are back to battery =95% and back to ac 20%. I did tryset the back to battery at 40% but it was not enough to power the geyser so I changed it back to 95%.

4 hours ago, Buyeye said:

@thoc you have to play with your back to battery and back to ac settings. It's doesn't work as well when you are using voltage to estimate the SOC.

My settings are back to battery =95% and back to ac 20%. I did tryset the back to battery at 40% but it was not enough to power the geyser so I changed it back to 95%.

Ok I'll give that a go before I make time to take the batteries to Rectron. 
Just to clarify, what would that translate to in Volts?

My current User Defined settings has these on:

• Bulk Charge Voltage is 53.5V
  • Floating is 52V
  • Low DC cut-off is 46V

Would you say these sound reasonable?

• Voltage back to Utility 47V instead of default 46V
    • And just to make sure I understand this correctly, once the battery drops to this amount it'll switch back to AC, so the lower this amount the longer i'll be on batteries.
  • Voltage back to battery 52V instead of default 54V
    • When the battery reaches this amount again the inverter will switch to batteries instead of AC

I think at the end of the day I need to get to Rectron in order to use the full potential of the batteries else i've wasted money 😆

• 2 weeks later...

@Dyness The technician from Rectron just contacted me and said that the battery has the latest firmware on,they contacted Dyness and confirmed it with them. What else could be the problem for the inberter showing alarm 03 and 36?

I got my battery back from Rectron, changed the dip switch to 0110 and it's working perfectly using the RS485 port and protocol 01.

Only weird thing is that it's been on 99% charge for the last 2 hours and there's full sun. Is that normal?

Edited by tetrasection

6 hours ago, TJ Human said:

@tetrasectionwhen mine charges it takes a while(couple of hours) to get from 95% to 100% and then discharges again slowly,about an hour, to 95% again. That is after I got mine back from rectron but it seems to be working correct now, no alarms.

Good to hear your alarm issue is no more.

Yeah idk, checking on the app now at 12:00 it reached 97% and capped the charging power from the panels to around 600w. It reached 99% by 13:00 (took 0.6kWh to get from 97% to 99%) and kept charging at 99% till the sun started fading at 16:45, so almost 4 hours. In that time it "charged" an extra 1.9 kWh.

Will see what it does tomorrow. Really hope I don't have to send this thing back a second time! 😅

I googled an answer for you. [quote=]"If you are talking about lithium ion batteries, the last 20% is slower due to recharge circuitry programming. Initially, the battery is in a constant-current charge sequence where it might be charging at a high rate (a rate that would charge the entire capacity of the battery in 1 hr). As the battery charges, the voltage rises. Once it reaches a pre-programmed maximum voltage the system switches to constant-voltage charging, variable current (see the plateau in the charge curve below). The cell demands less and less current as the battery reaches a fully charged state. By the end it is demanding only a few milliamps. It could go faster if the charger would increase the charging voltage, but this can cause bad things to happen and shorten the cycle life of the battery"[/quote]
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-last-20-of-a-battery-take-longer-to-charge-than-the-rest?top_ans=1004758#:~:text=If you are talking,life of the battery

Edited by Buyeye

20 minutes ago, Buyeye said:

I googled an answer for you. [quote=]"If you are talking about lithium ion batteries, the last 20% is slower due to recharge circuitry programming. Initially, the battery is in a constant-current charge sequence where it might be charging at a high rate (a rate that would charge the entire capacity of the battery in 1 hr). As the battery charges, the voltage rises. Once it reaches a pre-programmed maximum voltage the system switches to constant-voltage charging, variable current (see the plateau in the charge curve below). The cell demands less and less current as the battery reaches a fully charged state. By the end it is demanding only a few milliamps. It could go faster if the charger would increase the charging voltage, but this can cause bad things to happen and shorten the cycle life of the battery"[/quote]
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-last-20-of-a-battery-take-longer-to-charge-than-the-rest?top_ans=1004758#:~:text=If you are talking,life of the battery

That makes sense,when I used the battery to 60% it charged very fast to about 93% and the took a while to get to 100%.but it seems to be working fine.

9 hours ago, tetrasection said:

Good to hear your alarm issue is no more.

Yeah idk, checking on the app now at 12:00 it reached 97% and capped the charging power from the panels to around 600w. It reached 99% by 13:00 (took 0.6kWh to get from 97% to 99%) and kept charging at 99% till the sun started fading at 16:45, so almost 4 hours. In that time it "charged" an extra 1.9 kWh.

Will see what it does tomorrow. Really hope I don't have to send this thing back a second time! 😅

Maybe yours takes a bit longer to get that last 5% fully charged because of the bigger battery capacity?

23 hours ago, TJ Human said:

@tetrasectionwhen mine charges it takes a while(couple of hours) to get from 95% to 100% and then discharges again slowly,about an hour, to 95% again. That is after I got mine back from rectron but it seems to be working correct now, no alarms.

Weird that its suddenly working without alarms if they didnt do anything? Is your dips also 0110 and Protocol 01?