Growatt inverter spf 5000ES with dyness 2.4kw battery setup

TJ Human

2 hours ago, Dyness said:

I checked the factory shipment record, your software program and parameters need to be updated to the latest version.You can contact rectron in advance, and then go to their nearest after-sales repair shop to update.

@Dyness Thank you, I will do that and let you know how it went.

On 2021/06/28 at 9:22 AM, Dyness said:

We recommend using RS485 protocol for communication.

The matters needing attention are as follows:

(1) The DIP-Switch of the master battery setting should be 0110 and the salve set to 0000, and the battery must be set before power on.

(2) The communication cable is a special cable sequence, not the standard cable of PINtoPIN.

(3) The communication cable should be connected from the CAN IN of the master battery to the BMS port of the inverter, not an RS485 port.

(4)In the program 5,set Li.and the program 36 set to L01.

Hi @Dyness again thanks a lot for taking a look at these forums and being part of this!

I've not had time to change my dip switches yet but keep threating everyday to get to it so am happy if they should stay on 0110 and 0000.

So just to confirm, I've got the SPF5000ES inverter, the guys from setSolar did the install and my cable is plugged into the CAN port, they've unfortunately not left me any other cables but am sure I can get them if need be.

I'm not getting any issues now that I'm running on the UserDefined setting but can tell the inverter isnt using the batteries properly so I'd like to try program 5 on Li and protocol 36? is that right? I only tried protocols 51 to 65 after selecting Li on program 5. 

signal-2021-06-30-203941.jpeg

Edited by thoc

On 2021/06/20 at 12:56 AM, thoc said:

mmm, that's a bit confusing, I see manuals online saying 0100, but my manual refers to the Growatt Hybrid(CAN comm) being 0100, but then the Growatt-SPF(off-grid) by 485 to be 0110... I've got the SPF but its on CAN and doesnt specifically say which one. I went with 0110 cos of this post, I see the guys here also went through the same confusion :D

Mine doesnt mention Growatt in the 0010 settings...

We recommend using RS485 for communication.And the DIP-Switch of RS485 is 0110.According to your inverter‘s model.The DIP-Switch of Growatt ES CAN communication is 0010.Different model should use different DIP-Switch.image.png.03efc99002a1c0ff472dcdad2886e833.png

8 hours ago, thoc said:

Hi @Dyness again thanks a lot for taking a look at these forums and being part of this!

I've not had time to change my dip switches yet but keep threating everyday to get to it so am happy if they should stay on 0110 and 0000.

So just to confirm, I've got the SPF5000ES inverter, the guys from setSolar did the install and my cable is plugged into the CAN port, they've unfortunately not left me any other cables but am sure I can get them if need be.

I'm not getting any issues now that I'm running on the UserDefined setting but can tell the inverter isnt using the batteries properly so I'd like to try program 5 on Li and protocol 36? is that right? I only tried protocols 51 to 65 after selecting Li on program 5. 

If you wanna use Rs485 communication.Need to use the corresponding communication cable.image.thumb.png.4463677abbb909d3001f4b60fe1a6b02.png

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, thoc said:

In the program setting in the inverter, if RS485 communication is used, program 5 selects Li and program 36 selects L01.If you choose USE mode,program19 set to 53.5V,program20 set to 52V,program 21 set to 46~47V.

Edited by Dyness

10 hours ago, Dyness said:

If you wanna use Rs485 communication.Need to use the corresponding communication cable.image.thumb.png.4463677abbb909d3001f4b60fe1a6b02.png

Ok thanks, I realised the cable i've got plugged in matches this, and its been plugged into the CAN port on the inverter instead, so i've moved that to the RS485 port instead. I'm now getting the same errors @TJ Human is, fault warning 03 & 36 when I run program 5 Li & program 36 L01...

I've attached my details from the battery as well, I'm running 2 of these so not sure what the slave battery has in terms of this number, I'm unfortunately based in JHB, do I also need software updates and do you have JHB branch?

signal-2021-07-01-152820.jpeg

11 hours ago, thoc said:

Ok thanks, I realised the cable i've got plugged in matches this, and its been plugged into the CAN port on the inverter instead, so i've moved that to the RS485 port instead. I'm now getting the same errors @TJ Human is, fault warning 03 & 36 when I run program 5 Li & program 36 L01...

I've attached my details from the battery as well, I'm running 2 of these so not sure what the slave battery has in terms of this number, I'm unfortunately based in JHB, do I also need software updates and do you have JHB branch?

signal-2021-07-01-152820.jpeg

Yes.The 03&36 alarm is a high-voltage alarm and will not affect your use, I checked the factory’s shipment records, and the battery software program needs to be updated.You need to bring the battery to Rectron for upgrading. You can first contact our after-sales Rectron in JHB. Their phone numbers and addresses are as follows:

Phone number:+27 11 203 1000

Adress:152 15th Road Randjespark Midrand

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of purchasing a Dyness battery.

Make doubly sure that the battery is updated before you buy it as it seems that some suppliers are shipping batteries with out of date software.

I got a Powerbox F10 a few weeks ago and it's a big mess. The battery needs to be updated and the store had no idea that it was not updated and the supplier won't take responsibility.

So after weeks of back and forth, the store and I have agreed to split courier costs to ship the battery to and from Rectron to get the update done.

So yeah, to be safe, ask for a serial number and ask the very kind Dyness rep here on the forum to check the software version for you before making a purchase.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, tetrasection said:

Haven't even connected it yet but was told it would give high voltage alarms if not updated.

Thankfully no such issues. Connected to the CAN port. 

The bms is working as intended, I'm not making this up and I can take pictures next time it happens.

The battery reported low voltage at night when I had a 4kw load on and the inverter started charging the battery at 80 amps which is a preset setting that I cannot change so my growatt sff5000es was pulling 8kw from the grid, 4kw going into the battery and 4kw powering the load. 

Edited by Buyeye

5 hours ago, Buyeye said:

Thankfully no such issues. Connected to the CAN port. 

The bms is working as intended, I'm not making this up and I can take pictures next time it happens.

The battery reported low voltage at night when I had a 4kw load on and the inverter started charging the battery at 80 amps which is a preset setting that I cannot change so my growatt sff5000es was pulling 8kw from the grid, 4kw going into the battery and 4kw powering the load. 

Interesting...

Well either way my battery is already booked for transport. Rectron said that turnaround time is 48 hours so it should be back by next week already.

Though the real mission is getting this thing off the wall and back into the box!

1 hour ago, tetrasection said:

Interesting...

Well either way my battery is already booked for transport. Rectron said that turnaround time is 48 hours so it should be back by next week already.

Though the real mission is getting this thing off the wall and back into the box!

Solar production has been low, I had to use SUB mode.

Screenshot_20210708-210908_ShinePhone.jpg

16 hours ago, tetrasection said:

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of purchasing a Dyness battery.

Make doubly sure that the battery is updated before you buy it as it seems that some suppliers are shipping batteries with out of date software.

I got a Powerbox F10 a few weeks ago and it's a big mess. The battery needs to be updated and the store had no idea that it was not updated and the supplier won't take responsibility.

So after weeks of back and forth, the store and I have agreed to split courier costs to ship the battery to and from Rectron to get the update done.

So yeah, to be safe, ask for a serial number and ask the very kind Dyness rep here on the forum to check the software version for you before making a purchase.

Because this is the problem of matching the software version of the inverter to the battery, the battery is intact before leaving the factory. We have tested it with many inverters before shipment and are intact. We recommend keeping the battery program software up to date to ensure the best experience.

7 hours ago, Buyeye said:

Solar production has been low, I had to use SUB mode.

Screenshot_20210708-210908_ShinePhone.jpg

The different working modes in the inverter ensure the application in different scenarios. The Dyness team is very grateful for you to share your experience with you in the forum and even help others solve user problems.

Kind Regards

Dyness Team

Posted (edited)

I have to say this Growatt inverter seems a bit wonky when it comes to the output source priority setting?

It only seems to utilize full Solar when I'm running on SUB, if its SOL or SBU it seems to end up using Eskom more...that whole thing where my panels just cut off 🤨

My idea is to run on SBU/SOL and have the batteries only charge from SOL during non load shedding times, when there's load shedding I'd want it to run on SUB with charging from both panels & Eskom...

Edited by thoc

Posted (edited)

@thoc I'm afarid the blame belongs on you having too few panels and batteries to power your load.

Here is a screen shot of mine in the middle of winter in SOL mode. You can see that as soon as the back to ac point is reached the inverter stays on SOL mode until sunset.

Screenshot_20210709-190303_ShinePhone.jpg

Edited by Buyeye

Posted (edited)

I mean I've got 8 x 400WP panels and 2x 2.4kw batteries, what I find is if I turn off the Eskom breaker I can run all day on the solar panels alone and the battery jumps in from time to time, in this example I didnt have Eskom since about 3am, batteries carried me until around 8am where the panels picked up and charged my batteries while covering the house consumption etc:

image.thumb.png.ab5d90a8aeb825fca32d8ad2e61a6a5d.png

@Buyeye do you perhaps think its due to not running the batteries on the BMS yet? Still need to get around to disconnect them and get to Rectron etc so that I can use the Li setting 05. IE my voltage point to utility & battery mode is still default...

Edited by thoc

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, thoc said:

These gaps for example is where I tried running on SOL or SBU today:

Screenshot 2021-07-09 205404.png

That's strange... did you double check the firmware version on the inverter after updating? Cause sometimes it doesn't take...

What is your battery voltage doing while this is going on?

Edited by tetrasection

@thocI think you are correct by looking at the spikes in the 1st picture, they would have caused a voltage sag to switch you to bypass if your grid input was up. from both pictures your peak production is around 2500 watts and you have loads that peak over 3kw.

I agree that sorting out the bms communication might help the inverter use SOC instead of voltage to estimate battery SOC.

@tetrasection yeah the firmware did help, this used to happen while I would be in SUB as well, after the firmware upgrade that went away so I just assumed I might need another upgrade later when there's a new version. It doesnt really look like my voltage is doing anything if I understand the historic data from that day correctly, 11:55 to 12:00 in the attached spreadsheet is when one of the drops happen, this spreadsheet is from the growatt server, not sure if you or @Buyeye spot something out of that? It happens normally quite quickly after I make the change so i'll perhaps just monitor it directly on the inverter to be sure.

I barely follow what all these values mean 😆 had to quickly google what voltage sag is😛

About the Battery SOC stats, its quite inconsistent on the graphs as well, hopping around a lot, this is just quickly from today where I've only been on SUB:image.png.27550ebcb70282aa3dcb2c095aec90d0.png

Results.xlsx

@thocI believe that there is the reason, mine used to do this with my lead acid batteries. There is no way your batteries went from 100% to 25%. It looks like plain old voltage sag easily fixed with getting communication between bms and inverter.