Jump to content

Growatt inverter spf 5000ES with dyness 2.4kw battery setup


TJ Human
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Buyeye said:

I googled an answer for you. [quote=]"If you are talking about lithium ion batteries, the last 20% is slower due to recharge circuitry programming. Initially, the battery is in a constant-current charge sequence where it might be charging at a high rate (a rate that would charge the entire capacity of the battery in 1 hr). As the battery charges, the voltage rises. Once it reaches a pre-programmed maximum voltage the system switches to constant-voltage charging, variable current (see the plateau in the charge curve below). The cell demands less and less current as the battery reaches a fully charged state. By the end it is demanding only a few milliamps. It could go faster if the charger would increase the charging voltage, but this can cause bad things to happen and shorten the cycle life of the battery"[/quote]
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-last-20-of-a-battery-take-longer-to-charge-than-the-rest?top_ans=1004758#:~:text=If you are talking,life of the battery

Yeah but it was stuck on 99% for 4 hours and "charged" 2kWh, which is actually over 20% of it's capacity...

I'm just hoping it's some kind of initial balancing or calibration or something that will sort itself out after a few cycles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So we got a decent amount of sun yesterday. Panel charging power dropped to 500w at 96%, then shortly after reaching 99% it dropped to 300w, then 150w, 60w, 30w and eventually 15w of charging power.

That's when I disconnected the battery because I wanted to install the trunking to make it all look nice.

So it looks like it is working as it should, it isn't "overcharging" like it seemed to be doing on it's first cycle, since the charging power now drops to virtually zero.

So even though it never get's past 99% it is essentially 100% charged.

Who knows, maybe in a few days it will say 100% but either way it's not an issue.

Thanks to everyone on here for all the helpful info and advice!

Edited by tetrasection
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2021/08/01 at 12:25 PM, TJ Human said:

@thoc sorry,appernetly they did update the firmware on the battery.

Ok everything makes sense again. I thought it was very strange that @Dyness told you that your firmware was out of date and then Rectron said it wasn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, tetrasection said:

Ok everything makes sense again. I thought it was very strange that @Dyness told you that your firmware was out of date and then Rectron said it wasn't.

Yes,they sent me a mail saying it is up to date,but when I phoned they said they got the new firmware and was bussy updating already. But so far everything is running smoothly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2021/06/12 at 10:35 AM, tetrasection said:

 

I'm pretty sure I read that you use the CAN bus and then use protocol 52

This is correct. When I had the 5000es i used the CAN port and protocol 52. The setting did work. I had an old firmware on my inverter though so was getting some crazy recharge amps. I believe the firmware update fixed this issue, but cannot confirm as I never did it on the Growatt

 

Edit.. my bad. Just noticed i responded to old posts. The conversation clearly progressed some beyond this. Apologies

Edited by GTP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, thoc said:

Im really contemplating trying CAN and protocol 52 then since I'm so lazy and not keen on disconnecting the batteries and driving to Rectron 😆

My biggest priority at the time was getting the battery communicating via the port, and not using voltages. The CAN port and protocol 52 definitely did that. The issue I had (presumably because of older firmware) was that many fields including the charge rate from utility was fixed and could not be changed. Its as if the BMS locked in settings. Operationally this translated to solar power being throttled in SUB mode. It also meant spikes to 4kw odd at night for charging. SBU setting worked fine except for the 90a charge setting.

If your inverter has the updated firmware, I guess it should work fine. Let us know how it goes if you try it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...