Jump to content

Growatt inverter spf 5000ES with dyness 2.4kw battery setup


TJ Human
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, thoc said:

@tetrasection yeah the firmware did help, this used to happen while I would be in SUB as well, after the firmware upgrade that went away so I just assumed I might need another upgrade later when there's a new version. It doesnt really look like my voltage is doing anything if I understand the historic data from that day correctly, 11:55 to 12:00 in the attached spreadsheet is when one of the drops happen, this spreadsheet is from the growatt server, not sure if you or @Buyeye spot something out of that? It happens normally quite quickly after I make the change so i'll perhaps just monitor it directly on the inverter to be sure.

 

I barely follow what all these values mean 😆 had to quickly google what voltage sag is😛

About the Battery SOC stats, its quite inconsistent on the graphs as well, hopping around a lot, this is just quickly from today where I've only been on SUB:

Results.xlsx 9.66 kB · 0 downloads

What I meant about the firmware is that sometimes it says "update complete" or whatever but after restarting the inverter and checking the firmware version on the display it is actually still using the old firmware. So then you have to update it again. This only seems to happed with one of the two files.

 

What I noticed on the spreadsheet is that when "capacity" changes from 50 to 100, the "status" changes from "Combine charge and bypass" to "PV charge and bypass".

Does that mean once your battery is charged it switches to utility power?

If that's the case it seems likely that something in the settings is causing this behavior...

 

Edited by tetrasection
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, tetrasection said:

What I meant about the firmware is that sometimes it says "update complete" or whatever but after restarting the inverter and checking the firmware version on the display it is actually still using the old firmware. So then you have to update it again. This only seems to happed with one of the two files.

 

What I noticed on the spreadsheet is that when "capacity" changes from 50 to 100, the "status" changes from "Combine charge and bypass" to "PV charge and bypass".

Does that mean once your battery is charged it switches to utility power?

If that's the case it seems likely that something in the settings is causing this behavior...

 

It definitely felt like that a day or two, but i've not been able to completely confirm. I figured it might just be the inverter that still needs more work on the firmware side of things (Doublechecked, Im on 040.03/041.03 btw) because even when I had my charge source to SOL only, at night when my batteries "die" around 10:30pm it ended up charging from Utility for about an hour before I noticed, I had to reset SOL charge source again for it to stop...

And the morning after it looked like it used the panels to charge the batteries (fine) and also the Utility to power my house load, it was on SBU or SOL. I was hoping that it would charge and supply from panels...IE charge the batteries with the excess panel production that I'm not consuming?

 

I might be misunderstanding some of the principles, but my idea would be to try and avoid Utility as much as possible even if it means the batteries might take longer to charge during the day, and even discharge a little to assist in the load spikes..

Edited by thoc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyway I wanted to test it a bit more, using the batteries at night, and checking if it does drop the panel production completely just after my batteries are recharged the morning. It felt like that was the case a day or two in the mornings. But then this also occurs in the afternoons when my batteries are fully charged. 🤔

Edited by thoc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@thoc you have to play with your back to battery and back to ac settings. It's doesn't work as well when you are using voltage to estimate the SOC.

My settings are back to battery =95% and back to ac 20%. I did tryset the back to battery at 40% but it was not enough to power the geyser so I changed it back to 95%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Buyeye said:

@thoc you have to play with your back to battery and back to ac settings. It's doesn't work as well when you are using voltage to estimate the SOC.

My settings are back to battery =95% and back to ac 20%. I did tryset the back to battery at 40% but it was not enough to power the geyser so I changed it back to 95%.

Ok I'll give that a go before I make time to take the batteries to Rectron. 
Just to clarify, what would that translate to in Volts?

My current User Defined settings has these on:

  • Bulk Charge Voltage is 53.5V
  • Floating is 52V
  • Low DC cut-off is 46V

Would you say these sound reasonable?

  • Voltage back to Utility 47V instead of default 46V
    • And just to make sure I understand this correctly, once the battery drops to this amount it'll switch back to AC, so the lower this amount the longer i'll be on batteries.
  • Voltage back to battery 52V instead of default 54V
    • When the battery reaches this amount again the inverter will switch to batteries instead of AC

 

I think at the end of the day I need to get to Rectron in order to use the full potential of the batteries else i've wasted money 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

@Dyness The technician from Rectron just contacted me and said that the battery has the latest firmware on,they contacted Dyness and confirmed it with them. What else could be the problem for the inberter showing alarm 03 and 36?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got my battery back from Rectron, changed the dip switch to 0110 and it's working perfectly using the RS485 port and protocol 01.

Only weird thing is that it's been on 99% charge for the last 2 hours and there's full sun. Is that normal?

Edited by tetrasection
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TJ Human said:

@tetrasectionwhen mine charges it takes a while(couple of hours) to get from 95% to 100% and then discharges again slowly,about an hour, to 95% again. That is after I got mine back from rectron but it seems to be working correct now, no alarms.

Good to hear your alarm issue is no more.

 

Yeah idk, checking on the app now at 12:00 it reached 97% and capped the charging power from the panels to around 600w. It reached 99% by 13:00 (took 0.6kWh to get from 97% to 99%) and kept charging at 99% till the sun started fading at 16:45, so almost 4 hours. In that time it "charged" an extra 1.9 kWh.

Will see what it does tomorrow. Really hope I don't have to send this thing back a second time! 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I googled an answer for you. [quote=]"If you are talking about lithium ion batteries, the last 20% is slower due to recharge circuitry programming. Initially, the battery is in a constant-current charge sequence where it might be charging at a high rate (a rate that would charge the entire capacity of the battery in 1 hr). As the battery charges, the voltage rises. Once it reaches a pre-programmed maximum voltage the system switches to constant-voltage charging, variable current (see the plateau in the charge curve below). The cell demands less and less current as the battery reaches a fully charged state. By the end it is demanding only a few milliamps. It could go faster if the charger would increase the charging voltage, but this can cause bad things to happen and shorten the cycle life of the battery"[/quote]
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-last-20-of-a-battery-take-longer-to-charge-than-the-rest?top_ans=1004758#:~:text=If you are talking,life of the battery

Edited by Buyeye
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Buyeye said:

I googled an answer for you. [quote=]"If you are talking about lithium ion batteries, the last 20% is slower due to recharge circuitry programming. Initially, the battery is in a constant-current charge sequence where it might be charging at a high rate (a rate that would charge the entire capacity of the battery in 1 hr). As the battery charges, the voltage rises. Once it reaches a pre-programmed maximum voltage the system switches to constant-voltage charging, variable current (see the plateau in the charge curve below). The cell demands less and less current as the battery reaches a fully charged state. By the end it is demanding only a few milliamps. It could go faster if the charger would increase the charging voltage, but this can cause bad things to happen and shorten the cycle life of the battery"[/quote]
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-last-20-of-a-battery-take-longer-to-charge-than-the-rest?top_ans=1004758#:~:text=If you are talking,life of the battery

That makes sense,when I used the battery to 60% it charged very fast to about 93% and the took a while to get to 100%.but it seems to be working fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, tetrasection said:

Good to hear your alarm issue is no more.

 

Yeah idk, checking on the app now at 12:00 it reached 97% and capped the charging power from the panels to around 600w. It reached 99% by 13:00 (took 0.6kWh to get from 97% to 99%) and kept charging at 99% till the sun started fading at 16:45, so almost 4 hours. In that time it "charged" an extra 1.9 kWh.

Will see what it does tomorrow. Really hope I don't have to send this thing back a second time! 😅

Maybe yours takes a bit longer to get that last 5% fully charged because of the bigger battery capacity?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, TJ Human said:

@tetrasectionwhen mine charges it takes a while(couple of hours) to get from 95% to 100% and then discharges again slowly,about an hour, to 95% again. That is after I got mine back from rectron but it seems to be working correct now, no alarms.

Weird that its suddenly working without alarms if they didnt do anything? Is your dips also 0110 and Protocol 01?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Buyeye said:

I googled an answer for you. [quote=]"If you are talking about lithium ion batteries, the last 20% is slower due to recharge circuitry programming. Initially, the battery is in a constant-current charge sequence where it might be charging at a high rate (a rate that would charge the entire capacity of the battery in 1 hr). As the battery charges, the voltage rises. Once it reaches a pre-programmed maximum voltage the system switches to constant-voltage charging, variable current (see the plateau in the charge curve below). The cell demands less and less current as the battery reaches a fully charged state. By the end it is demanding only a few milliamps. It could go faster if the charger would increase the charging voltage, but this can cause bad things to happen and shorten the cycle life of the battery"[/quote]
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-last-20-of-a-battery-take-longer-to-charge-than-the-rest?top_ans=1004758#:~:text=If you are talking,life of the battery

Yeah but it was stuck on 99% for 4 hours and "charged" 2kWh, which is actually over 20% of it's capacity...

I'm just hoping it's some kind of initial balancing or calibration or something that will sort itself out after a few cycles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So we got a decent amount of sun yesterday. Panel charging power dropped to 500w at 96%, then shortly after reaching 99% it dropped to 300w, then 150w, 60w, 30w and eventually 15w of charging power.

That's when I disconnected the battery because I wanted to install the trunking to make it all look nice.

So it looks like it is working as it should, it isn't "overcharging" like it seemed to be doing on it's first cycle, since the charging power now drops to virtually zero.

So even though it never get's past 99% it is essentially 100% charged.

Who knows, maybe in a few days it will say 100% but either way it's not an issue.

Thanks to everyone on here for all the helpful info and advice!

Edited by tetrasection
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2021/08/01 at 12:25 PM, TJ Human said:

@thoc sorry,appernetly they did update the firmware on the battery.

Ok everything makes sense again. I thought it was very strange that @Dyness told you that your firmware was out of date and then Rectron said it wasn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, tetrasection said:

Ok everything makes sense again. I thought it was very strange that @Dyness told you that your firmware was out of date and then Rectron said it wasn't.

Yes,they sent me a mail saying it is up to date,but when I phoned they said they got the new firmware and was bussy updating already. But so far everything is running smoothly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2021/06/12 at 10:35 AM, tetrasection said:

 

I'm pretty sure I read that you use the CAN bus and then use protocol 52

This is correct. When I had the 5000es i used the CAN port and protocol 52. The setting did work. I had an old firmware on my inverter though so was getting some crazy recharge amps. I believe the firmware update fixed this issue, but cannot confirm as I never did it on the Growatt

 

Edit.. my bad. Just noticed i responded to old posts. The conversation clearly progressed some beyond this. Apologies

Edited by GTP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, thoc said:

Im really contemplating trying CAN and protocol 52 then since I'm so lazy and not keen on disconnecting the batteries and driving to Rectron 😆

My biggest priority at the time was getting the battery communicating via the port, and not using voltages. The CAN port and protocol 52 definitely did that. The issue I had (presumably because of older firmware) was that many fields including the charge rate from utility was fixed and could not be changed. Its as if the BMS locked in settings. Operationally this translated to solar power being throttled in SUB mode. It also meant spikes to 4kw odd at night for charging. SBU setting worked fine except for the 90a charge setting.

If your inverter has the updated firmware, I guess it should work fine. Let us know how it goes if you try it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...