Sunsynk 8kva Solar Panel Layout

Hi Everyone

Needs some help im upgrading to Sunsynk and want to see if my current string will work with another string of JA 540 watt 9S . I currently have 12 x Art solar 144M 400watts STC 49.1voc and 9.62 imp so 6s 2 sets on 1 mmpt and  9s on second STC  Voc 49.60 and Imp 12.97 thanks. Your response is appreciated in advance.

@Vassen

Appologies for not being clear i already have 12 x 400 watt Art solar panels in my current system which i will be moving onto thee Sunsynk and i want to connect them on the first mmpt. 6s 2 strings. On the second one i want to add new panel i was looking at getting 9 x 540 JA panels. Can you advise on the optimizing the second mppt. Im in Durban area thanks for you input.

@Vassen

Just a quick one my exsiting Art Solar are 400watt STC Voc 49.1 i think its not going to work as its 294.6 x 2 = 589.2 or will and if i use 5s 2 strings 245.5 x 2 = 491 with this be fine or do i need to go 5s and 4s remove 3 panels. 

Edited by John2

Just make sure that your 8K Sunsynk can handle 22A on the MPPT. If yours is the older 18A spec, it will clip the amps. If this is so, send the serial # to your installer, or if self-installed, the WhatsApp support group to find out if it can support 22A with the latest firmware release.

4 minutes ago, Vassen said:

Apparently even some of the older ones can be updated to now accept 22A and the 5kw inverter can accept 13A. 

I don’t understand how that is possible as components have a defined rating. If it could handle a higher current, Not sure  why they would Derate. Guess things are different than when I studied engineering 

True, but that's what I call Engineering 🙂

Derating is a known marketing tactic, look at Intel for many examples. It's not only used in electronics either. Ever heard of Queen Elizabeth whisky?

@Vassen 

@YellowTapemeasure

I will be having 7470 watt pv array hoping to generate around 5000watt. My current usage is around 18Kwh and day. I have a Axpert King with 4 x 200amp batteries and a rct V2 5kva grid tie with 4 x 100amp lead crystal. They just over a year old. So during the day i want to feedback to grid with the Sunsynk to compensate for the night so it evens out on my meter. Until i save up or  sell some equipment and get at least 11Kwh lithium iorn batteries. Does that make sense or advise.

Edited by John2

2 minutes ago, John2 said:

@Vassen 

@YellowTapemeasure

I will be having 7470 watt pv array hoping to generate around 5000watt. My current usage is around 12Kwh and day. I have a Axpert King with 4 x 200amp batteries and a rct V2 5kva grid tie with 4 x 100amp lead crystal. They just over a year old. So during the day i want to feedback to grind to with the Sunsynk to compensate for the night so it evens out on my meter. Until i save up or  sell some equipment and get at least 11Kwh lithium iorn batteries. Does that make sense or advise.

If I never met @Achmat I would say that it didn't make sense 🙂 but I have, I've seen his results and it's great. You'll be OK.

9 minutes ago, Vassen said:

I agree, but then they were supposed to sell an “Upgraded” version at a premium, not just upgrade the existing ones as well. That’s the real marketing advantage of new models. 

BMW have been doing it with their engines for ages. Same engine, just detuned for the lower spec. 

It's about market share. They cannot afford to lose out on the lower end of the market to competitors (which is huge, bottom of the triangle), and mass-producing higher spec kit is cheaper than the rate at which the (higher end) market can absorb it. It becomes cheaper to re-mark higher end stock than to re-tool a factory / production line to produce lower spec, so they re-mark and sell higher spec kit rebranded as lower spec. If they didn't, they would p*** off their higher end clients.

Edited by YellowTapemeasure

3 minutes ago, Vassen said:

True, it makes sense why it’s done by other manufacturers, just don’t understand Sunsynk’s model.

If I had known it could handle higher current, I would have specked my panels accordingly. A few days after I buy my panels, I hear that it could accept higher currents now. 

That's one way of looking at it.

On the other hand, you agreed by entering into the purchase agreement for the "lower" spec and paying for it. In fairness, it was a good spec at the time, otherwise you would have not bought it. Now that you have it, you have the comfort of knowing that all this time you weren't stressing any components. Plus, if you really feel like it, you can flog your panels and get newer ones. Sunsynk could have just kept quiet about it, but they didn't. You've got to love Sunsynk, not even Intel allows that anymore on their re-marked chips.  

14 minutes ago, Vassen said:

So are you planning to keep the axpert and rct as well for off grid or are you replacing it with the Sunsynk? If replacing, then you will lose some batteries as all can’t be used. 

you already have batteries and inverters and unless they’ve taken a hammering and can’t last the loadshedding, I don’t understand why you want to spend 30k + now for basically getting a grid tie inverter. 

Im not saying it a bad inverter, I have 2 sunsynk 5kw units. I’m just wondering why not just keep the existing system as is and add a pure grid tie inverter like a solis to feed back to the grid and use in as a big battery. 

My concern is that equipment changes so fast in this industry that in a years time, panel capacity will be a lot higher and there will probably be a newer version of the sunsynk. 

So unless your existing system is faulty, get the max out of it 

@Vassen

Hi Vassen i will be taking them both out and using th e Sunsynk only. They working well most discarged them at 25% most. Stove on gas and geyser i did a DIY flat plate with gesyer wize. 2 reasons i what to have one control point and combine my pv array. The second my other half sometime user the kettle microwave and washing machine at the same time. One day when im not there to remind her she let it be so before that. Ill make that change.

1 minute ago, John2 said:

@Vassen

Hi Vassen i will be taking them both out and using th e Sunsynk only. They working well most discarged them at 25% most. Stove on gas and geyser i did a DIY flat plate with gesyer wize. 2 reasons i what to have one control point and combine my pv array. The second my other half sometime user the kettle microwave and washing machine at the same time. One day when im not there to remind her she let it be so before that. Ill make that change.

Sounds like good reasons to me.

3 minutes ago, Vassen said:

It doesn’t make too much of a difference now that the panels are installed, definitely not to the point I would want to go through the hassle removing the existing, selling and then replacing with new panels. Just won’t be worth the effort. 

I just bought 5x460w Jinko panels for my last mppt and then I done done done done. No more panels. 

2 more batteries and then I’m done with my install. This RS it hole is just too deep. 

Those sound like great panels, I am sure that you will be happy with your installation. As I am (now) with mine,apart from the Pylontech batteries. Love my Sunsynk, but CUD says I should get Hubbles.

5 minutes ago, YellowTapemeasure said:

Those sound like great panels, I am sure that you will be happy with your installation. As I am (now) with mine,apart from the Pylontech batteries. Love my Sunsynk, but CUD says I should get Hubbles.

Hi Yellow. 

What don’t you like about your Pylontech batteries?

15 minutes ago, Vassen said:

It doesn’t make too much of a difference now that the panels are installed, definitely not to the point I would want to go through the hassle removing the existing, selling and then replacing with new panels. Just won’t be worth the effort. 

I just bought 5x460w Jinko panels for my last mppt and then I done done done done. No more panels. 

2 more batteries and then I’m done with my install. This RS it hole is just too deep. 

@Vassen are those Jinko good im stuck between the Jinko 6 x 460watt or Candian 445 watt. Candian i can get from Durban but Jinko up in JHB. You guys are lucky when it come to Solar equipment as they are available close to you guys. Here with courier charges we get killed a bit.

Edited by John2

20 minutes ago, Leshen said:

Hi Yellow. 

What don’t you like about your Pylontech batteries?

They are OK, perform well, but after all, they're 0.5C batteries, and if I didn't have 3 in parallel, I would have had to cut my charging rate.

I have also seen and heard about some bizarre warranty issues. Comparison of their warranty conditions with contemporary offerings isn't great, they are very restrictive.

They also look very old-fashioned. being rack-mount. If I sell my place, prospective buyers may laugh and think that I'm a 90's ou-toppie with batteries in a server rack, lots of flashing LEDs. Bad for cooling as well, during summer, I had to remove the door and put a fan on them. I am starting to prefer the look of the sleeker, more modern wall-mount options, like the Hubble. To me, that's understated excellence.

Those last two words sum me up, for many years, I drove a "sleeper" 🙂

18 minutes ago, Vassen said:

I paid for them yesterday, will collect on Thursday hopefully as they said no stock so didn’t go with my bakkie. When I get there, I see many pallets outside. Not sure when I will install though. 

Honestly, panel technology has come a long way. Canadian, JA, Jinko all make good panels. Most tier 1 panels will be good. The difference between mono and poly are not as big anymore. I’ve got a string of 8 420w Canadian poly panels, east facing and a string of 8 360w Canadians poly west facing and another string of 8 390w JA mono west facing just above the 360 canadians. The output on both the west panels are very very similar, meaning the 390w string produces about 5-6% more than the 360w string, which is in line with their power outputs. 

In cloudy weather, the mono is slightly better than the poly.

I would just settle for the lowest rand per watt of any well known panel. How come you not getting more artsolar ? They are local in Durban. 

Last task: Once finalised and installed, please make lots of pictures and post them in the gallery. I am really impressed with your positive and innovative approach, as well as your skills in applying solar to a home which has clearly not been designed for it. You will inspire and help many others.

9 minutes ago, Vassen said:

Seems like those flashing lights are back in fashion if you consider rgb in everything computer related. 

In a year or 2, the current generation batteries will probably also look old school. We will probably see more Tesla powerwall like batteries more. 

In terms of looks, I like the alpha ess and even the freedom won. 

@John2Sorry for detailing your thread. 😀

Mmm, maybe you have a point, I like the retro idea but then the Pylontech stylists should go all out and consider VU meters (with yellow back-lighting that dims slightly when you hit a peak). And definitely change those awful red DIP switches with weighted and stepped attenuation knobs.

I also used to like the look of the Alpha-ESS initially, but strangely lost my desire after I found a decent fridge-freezer 😁