New to Solar - Growatt SPF5000ES

Good day all

just joined the forum.

I'm looking into some solar energy to run a few items off grid

So when the $$ is available i can purchase some parts for the project.

i collected the Growatt inverter today and wondering which solar modules will work. I have existing 4 x 150ah Agm battery's which im going to use until i can get the funds for the hubble am2 5.5.

Minimum and maximum panel input voltage is 120V-450V, so you need to connect your panels in series to add up to somewhere in between. I would stay well away from the minimum and maximum. The nominal voltage is 370V, so the closer you get to that number, the better.

Maximum panel input current is 18A, so if you are planning on a second string of panels, you need to buy panels that have a current rating of less than 9A.

Edited by tetrasection

4 minutes ago, tetrasection said:

Minimum and maximum panel input voltage is 120V-450V, so you need to connect your panels in series to add up to somewhere in between. I would stay far away from the minimum and maximum. The nominal voltage is 370V, so the closer you get to that number, the better.

Maximum panel input current is 18A, so if you want to have a second series string, you need to buy panels that have a current rating of less than 9A.

thanks for the info, So i can have 2 stings one facing West and North as I'm limited on roof space example ( 6s West & 6s north ) 6s 2p ?

21 minutes ago, Morne SBR said:

thanks for the info, So i can have 2 stings one facing West and North as I'm limited on roof space example ( 6s West & 6s north ) 6s 2p ?

Ideally you would put each string on a different MPPT but this way will work fine. Can't you put them East and West? That would be even better.

Edited by tetrasection

23 minutes ago, Morne SBR said:

Was looking at that. I'm looking for panels under 9amps but cannot find any 

Yeah it seems the new higher wattage panels coming out these days are all higher than 9A...

Found 250W panels here than have an isc of 8.86V: https://protonsolardistributors.co.za/solar-panels/poly-panels/250w-24-panel-detail

You could have up to 12 of these connected in series for a total of 24 panels.

On 2021/06/20 at 12:04 AM, tetrasection said:

Yeah it seems the new higher wattage panels coming out these days are all higher than 9A...

Found 250W panels here than have an isc of 8.86V: https://protonsolardistributors.co.za/solar-panels/poly-panels/250w-24-panel-detail

You could have up to 12 of these connected in series for a total of 24 panels.

On 2021/06/19 at 2:43 PM, Morne SBR said:

The Max on the Growatt is 450 VDC so the max i can have on a series string is 10 that will give 380.4 v - is that not a bit to high ?

50 minutes ago, Morne SBR said:

The Max on the Growatt is 450 VDC so the max i can have on a series string is 10 that will give 380.4 v - is that not a bit to high ?

Not at all, perfectly fine. This inverter can even handle up to 430V Vmp and you will only be sitting at 304V.

I currently have 9 panels in series on this inverter and the absolute max I've seen is 290V.

You'll be left with plenty headroom, nothing to worry about.

4 minutes ago, Morne SBR said:

Sorry I'm a newbie. 

What I was told that I must use the Voc 38.04 to calculate maximum volts  or do I use the 30 43. 

So I can use 10s 2P with no problem then ?

Thanks again for the assistance 

Yeah you do use Voc to calculate max volts, (which is 450V) so the 380V from your 10 panels is perfectly fine.

35 minutes ago, Morne SBR said:

Thanks all for the help. I have returned the growwatt. I had a chat with Steve and going the sunsynk 5kva way. 

I have a brand new Growatt wifi dongle that's for sale. 

Cool. Yeah the Sunsynk has 2 mppt's. For west/north facing panels, separating the strings to different MPPT's is definitely the best option. That way you can also use any panel with an ISC of up to 11A.