Growatt 5000w inverter faults

Lazarus

Hi  few months ago i installed a Growatt inverter for my 12 335watt panels. 4 strings of 3. I have also connected via dc surge protection as well as earth leakages on the AC side. Last week fault code (9) comes up with no AC output. Supplier says that the inverter is burnt but it starts up as normal and the only issue is the fault code. i have done a reset, disconnected the batteries etc. Any reason why this could happen, the supplier is not giving me any feedback. Usually they push the blame to the owner. unfortunately i do not have a COC as i have done the installation by myself. Any advise would be appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Hi  few months ago i installed a Growatt inverter for my 12 335watt panels. 4 strings of 3. I have also connected via dc surge protection as well as earth leakages on the AC side. Last week fault code (9) comes up with no AC output. Supplier says that the inverter is burnt but it starts up as normal and the only issue is the fault code. i have done a reset, disconnected the batteries etc. Any reason why this could happen, the supplier is not giving me any feedback. Usually they push the blame to the owner. unfortunately i do not have a COC as i have done the installation by myself. Any advise would be appreciated.

Hi Lazarus, if your inverter is still under warranty, contact the supply and ask them to help process the warranty claim for you. When my blew, the supplier assisted me with warranty claim and no CoC was requested. The guys from China don't care about that, well in my case 

Just claim and see what happens and it is best to claim immediately because it is going to take long to get a replacement of the component that is damaged. they do not replace the complete inverter, but will ship the board that is faulty and you will replace it 

Oh! I forgot, if your supplier is not willing to help, contact the Chines guys directly and detail what is wrong with your inverter. Best is just to tell them it blew, you heard a loud noise and then it just stopped working. Else you will get a lot of back and forth emails explaining what happened to the inverter and why you say it failed 😂

[email protected][email protected][email protected] , one of these guys is Amos, he assisted me with my warranty claim early this year 

Thank you for your feedback. I purchased my inverter from a solar supplier in Germiston. Unfortunately he wont say who the supplier is. I am giving him until this afternoon for feedback. Where are the guys whos email address you posted located? 

thanks again

37 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Thank you for your feedback. I purchased my inverter from a solar supplier in Germiston. Unfortunately he wont say who the supplier is. I am giving him until this afternoon for feedback. Where are the guys whos email address you posted located? 

thanks again

Those guys are in China. The supplier in Germiston doesn't have to give you the details of his supplier, he just needs to help you with warranty claim

6 hours ago, Lazarus said:

Last week fault code (9) comes up with no AC output.

Usually fault code 09 means a catastrophic failure of the main DC-AC converter (the thing that makes your inverter an inverter). There are likely multiple MOSFETs and/or IGBTs in there with legs blown off. When you say it starts up normally, all you really have left is a battery charger and a transfer switch.

Though it is possible, and does sometimes happen, that it's a less catastrophic fault, like the soft-start power supply no longer working. With an Axpert (which some GroWatts are based on), you can shine a torch into the holes on one side and see the state of the MOSFETs: shiny and new, or blackened with legs blown off. There may be a tell-tale smell as well, though sometimes a faint smell of burning is actually normal.

• 4 weeks later...

Same issue with my Inverter SPF5000ES code 09 my supplier(SP-Energy) is collecting my inverter to take it in for repairs, they state that they have had quite a few of these systems failing and the faulty component has been Identified,something was not installed with the correct value, dont ask me what it is just glad that my supplier is collecting and its going to be repaired 

• 1 month later...

Hello all , I had 3 growatts installed in parallel and powered up via utility and all the settings set for US valies. Working fine until my batteries finally showed up, got them hooked in and when trying to power them up loud pops and debris falling down sounds from inside i think 2 of the three, i have no com lights of red and green on the one Com board , 2 of them wont power on at all with the pv input only, just not sure what the hell happened , any ideas?

• 1 year later...

hi 

i have 2( 5kw growatt hibrid 48 v DC inverter) in parallel.

they indicate 33 V when the OSM batteries indicate 48 V and cause the inverters to trip 

i have also a problem with the communication between the  OSM BMS and the inverter

can you help