Morning Start Tripower 60A MPPT Transient Voltage Suppressor Replacement?

Spicy Cables

Question

Hi all, 

Have been given this Tristar after someone discarded it. Apparently they connected too many panels in series and the unit went pop. I have had a look inside and can see the 3 x TVSes have blown as per their function. 

I am trying to find replacement TVS but all is written on the TVSes that did not blow is "BGT 121" which I cant find a data sheet for online. I have manages to pick up some P6KE120A bi directional TVSes but not 100% sure I can interchange them. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks. 

Blown BGT 121 TVS.jpeg

BGT 121 TVS.jpeg

2 answers to this question

11 hours ago, Spicy Cables said:

all is written on the TVSes that did not blow is "BGT 121" which I cant find a data sheet for online.

The BGT or perhaps the 121 will be a marking code; Google "marking code" for sites where you can look them up. I had a quick search for "BGT" on s-manuals.com, but had no luck. Because of the "Dn" part designator, these will be TVS diodes (there are many other types of TVSs), so that could cut down the search. It is much better to get the specifications for the original part than to guess something that seems similar.

You have a lot of badly blown parts there; this repair may be marginal at best.

On 2021/07/07 at 4:19 AM, Coulomb said:

The BGT or perhaps the 121 will be a marking code; Google "marking code" for sites where you can look them up. I had a quick search for "BGT" on s-manuals.com, but had no luck. Because of the "Dn" part designator, these will be TVS diodes (there are many other types of TVSs), so that could cut down the search. It is much better to get the specifications for the original part than to guess something that seems similar.

You have a lot of badly blown parts there; this repair may be marginal at best.

Hi Coulomb,

Thanks for this I searched high and low and eventually emailed Morning Star and they got back to me in a few hours with the part number! 

D1-D3 SMCJ78CA Transorb, 1500W, Bi-Directional, 78V

D10 D11 D13 SMCJ130A  Transorb, 1500W, Uni-Directional, 130V

Very nice of them! 

I removed the blown parts and the unit still powers up which is good, the TVSs must have done their job.

Will replace then put it through operational tests.